News ‘It’s the truth’: Phil Gould’s blunt message as he reveals plan to ‘totally reshape’ Bulldogs

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we are to be competitive and win comps over the next 6 years, let's face it, we do have to buy our way out of the cellar. By then, we will have our academy up and running and hopefully the players coming through will keep the club at the top.

One thing I don't understand is with all the financial backing and money the club has and had why didn't the previous board, GM and CEO have this vision as Gould does?

It only tells me that they were all so incompetent and non business minded that all they were there for was their own best interest where they thought immediate success plans with Des was the way of the future and job security for themselves was more of a priority

Thank Fu*k they were over thrown. Nothing but fraudsters who had us all hoping things were going to turn around.

In Gould we trust.
Gus is the last hope if he can’t fix the mess then we will go to our graves as the dogs being a meme club

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He did ! Tapau finucane to name a few . Reynolds .. idris
I will never forget what happened in that magical first night game back to Belmore...
The whole crowd was calling Reynolds name wanting him on the field ( he was on the bench ) suddenly the cameras zoomed on Des-troyer the angry look of disapproval on his face was unforgettable, or in 2012 after winning the major semi-final to make the grand final he deliberately pulled the team off the field not allowing them to celebrate with the fans...
Hitler never cared for our club and supports it was always about him !

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's long overdue isn't it?

Finally a proper cleansing - so much deadwood in the team and issues at the club.

Clean it all out.
FINALLY we have
A Chairman who is driven by his passion to the Bulldogs.
A CEO who is a the most intelligent in this business.
And know The Great Gus who's intelligence personality connections and influence in the game are equal to none...

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I listened to this podcast today and after I did I told a mate of mine we would be top 4 in 2024 , he laughed, Gus has a very detailed well thought out plan and the balls and Gravitas to Execute it , so keep laughing mother fuckers the dog’s are finally on the up.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Phil Gould did it before at Penrith and while admitting the situation at Belmore is not exactly the same, the rugby league supremo has a plan to make the Bulldogs a powerhouse again.

In a dramatic week at the Bulldogs, which saw Trent Barrett resign as head coach and rumours of potential player movement swirl, Gould took to his‘Six Tackles with Gus’ podcastto clear the air.

Speaking on the podcast, the Bulldogs general manager of football revealed he has an 18-month plan to put the club in a position to “totally reshape” what it looks like.

“There are a lot of similarities and differences [to Penrith],” Gould said.

“They’re in a different area, but there’s no stopping the Panthers now. The Bulldogs will be good too, I guarantee it.

“The Bulldogs are a big club. They’ve got a massive fanbase and the club has been in the doldrums for years. I know it’s been frustrating, but you can’t just wave a magic wand and fix that. It’s taken a long time to get into this state, you don’t just suddenly turn it around in a day.”

Gould said that in the past the Bulldogs have tried to “recruit their way out of trouble” and that at times, in the pursuit of short-term results, the club has lost sight of its long-term aims.

“That’s not the way to fix the club, you’ve got to take a long-term view of it,” Gould said.

“It’s kind of saying ‘all right, I know you’ve had a long period of losing, but there’s going to be more before we get better’. That’s just how it’s going to be.

“It’s the truth. Whether people are prepared to accept that or not, it’s the truth.

“My aim is that the Bulldogs are never in this position again. This club should never be in that position. They will have a recruitment and development program that will sustain them long into the future.”

Gould revealed that in 18 months time the Bulldogs will have their salary cap in a position where they will be able to “totally reshape the look” and “culture” of the organisation.

That will include setting up the foundations for an academy system which he said will “provide a steady stream of young talent” to sustain the Bulldogs “for a long period of time”.

“That hasn’t been in place,” Gould said.

“That’s been neglected for a long period of time, therefore we have some players showing NRL potential in the junior ranks, but nowhere near enough.”

Gould has already gone about rectifying that, speaking to the families of 15 players aged between 18 and 21 over the weekend at Magic Round.

“I want an academy that starts at 14, 15, 16 years of age for local talent and other talent that we recruit to be developed as Bulldogs from those teenage years,” Gould added.
In Gus we trust!!!! He’s a legend!!

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone still hates us now, just back then we were feared, competitive, successful and not a joke of a team/club. Can not wait until we are feared, competitive and successful once again.
Maybe the media but everyone i know feels sorry for us.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We thought we recruited well for what was on the market. The only player I wished we chased hard was Hynes. We could have offered him FB and not sign the likes of Naden and Dufty.

I have the utmost faith in Gus that he will get it right. Kikau and Mahoney are outstanding signings and Sutton will provide good depth. We are missing a HB and FB. Our future backline could consist juniors like Alamoti, Kiraz, & Schoupp.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that mattered to him was signing his mates on massive contracts being players and coaching staff including that pathetic Noel Cleal.
Sounds like Baz and re-hiring his mates Ferris & Waddell..

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find some one better than averillo, okunbor, Waddell please they are shit

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Geoff Toovey said that Des would fuck the club ad he did with manly,as soon as he heard we signed him
A good friend of mine felt with him at NRMA and related the story
You might be an excellent driver...BUT.... Can you tell me what you meant to say?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould did it before at Penrith and while admitting the situation at Belmore is not exactly the same, the rugby league supremo has a plan to make the Bulldogs a powerhouse again.

In a dramatic week at the Bulldogs, which saw Trent Barrett resign as head coach and rumours of potential player movement swirl, Gould took to his‘Six Tackles with Gus’ podcastto clear the air.

Speaking on the podcast, the Bulldogs general manager of football revealed he has an 18-month plan to put the club in a position to “totally reshape” what it looks like.

“There are a lot of similarities and differences [to Penrith],” Gould said.

“They’re in a different area, but there’s no stopping the Panthers now. The Bulldogs will be good too, I guarantee it.

“The Bulldogs are a big club. They’ve got a massive fanbase and the club has been in the doldrums for years. I know it’s been frustrating, but you can’t just wave a magic wand and fix that. It’s taken a long time to get into this state, you don’t just suddenly turn it around in a day.”

Gould said that in the past the Bulldogs have tried to “recruit their way out of trouble” and that at times, in the pursuit of short-term results, the club has lost sight of its long-term aims.

“That’s not the way to fix the club, you’ve got to take a long-term view of it,” Gould said.

“It’s kind of saying ‘all right, I know you’ve had a long period of losing, but there’s going to be more before we get better’. That’s just how it’s going to be.

“It’s the truth. Whether people are prepared to accept that or not, it’s the truth.

“My aim is that the Bulldogs are never in this position again. This club should never be in that position. They will have a recruitment and development program that will sustain them long into the future.”

Gould revealed that in 18 months time the Bulldogs will have their salary cap in a position where they will be able to “totally reshape the look” and “culture” of the organisation.

That will include setting up the foundations for an academy system which he said will “provide a steady stream of young talent” to sustain the Bulldogs “for a long period of time”.

“That hasn’t been in place,” Gould said.

“That’s been neglected for a long period of time, therefore we have some players showing NRL potential in the junior ranks, but nowhere near enough.”

Gould has already gone about rectifying that, speaking to the families of 15 players aged between 18 and 21 over the weekend at Magic Round.

“I want an academy that starts at 14, 15, 16 years of age for local talent and other talent that we recruit to be developed as Bulldogs from those teenage years,” Gould added.
Put more simply he implied that we should be more patient, it appears that our younger fans have less patience than I have and I am 78 and am just hoping to see us win another one before my departure to either H or H.
What he also should have said is that this is not the 80's with Bullfrog, their is a lot more competition from some very smart RL minds these days.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we are to be competitive and win comps over the next 6 years, let's face it, we do have to buy our way out of the cellar. By then, we will have our academy up and running and hopefully the players coming through will keep the club at the top.

One thing I don't understand is with all the financial backing and money the club has and had why didn't the previous board, GM and CEO have this vision as Gould does?

It only tells me that they were all so incompetent and non business minded that all they were there for was their own best interest where they thought immediate success plans with Des was the way of the future and job security for themselves was more of a priority

Thank Fu*k they were over thrown. Nothing but fraudsters who had us all hoping things were going to turn around.

In Gould we trust.
Dib thought that he was going to be the next Politis, yea,yea yea,
The Andersons thought that when the Salary cap situation was fixed, they like Bullfrog would go out and buy anyone player they wanted, yea yea yea.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Too bad Gould hadn't been here to do the rebuild that we just did and the rebuild before that rebuild etc etc.

By the sound of it, there are going to be mass changes in personnel - cutting a lot of players signed not long before Gould came along.

I do have faith we will be better for it, but fmd it feels like groundhog day.

We will all have to be patient for another 18 months on top of the last 5 or whatever years of being patient.

I'm sure everyone on here feels the same way, but my patience for being patient has just about run out.
I agree.
It's a catch 22 situation.
Gus is right though, we need to develop our talent not try buy it.
That is going to take time.
like a lot of other bulldogs fans, I'm sick of waiting for us to get better.

Gus needs to work on the long term development.
But he also needs to improve our current squad quickly.
It's unacceptable to be bottom 4 year in year out.
It's not fair on the fans or the sponsors.

Gus, we want it all and you are on a lot of money to get the job done.
No more asking the fans to wait.
Every board for last 10 years have been telling us to wait.
We have waited long enough.