News ‘It’s the truth’: Phil Gould’s blunt message as he reveals plan to ‘totally reshape’ Bulldogs

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould did it before at Penrith and while admitting the situation at Belmore is not exactly the same, the rugby league supremo has a plan to make the Bulldogs a powerhouse again.

In a dramatic week at the Bulldogs, which saw Trent Barrett resign as head coach and rumours of potential player movement swirl, Gould took to his‘Six Tackles with Gus’ podcastto clear the air.

Speaking on the podcast, the Bulldogs general manager of football revealed he has an 18-month plan to put the club in a position to “totally reshape” what it looks like.

“There are a lot of similarities and differences [to Penrith],” Gould said.

“They’re in a different area, but there’s no stopping the Panthers now. The Bulldogs will be good too, I guarantee it.

“The Bulldogs are a big club. They’ve got a massive fanbase and the club has been in the doldrums for years. I know it’s been frustrating, but you can’t just wave a magic wand and fix that. It’s taken a long time to get into this state, you don’t just suddenly turn it around in a day.”

Gould said that in the past the Bulldogs have tried to “recruit their way out of trouble” and that at times, in the pursuit of short-term results, the club has lost sight of its long-term aims.

“That’s not the way to fix the club, you’ve got to take a long-term view of it,” Gould said.

“It’s kind of saying ‘all right, I know you’ve had a long period of losing, but there’s going to be more before we get better’. That’s just how it’s going to be.

“It’s the truth. Whether people are prepared to accept that or not, it’s the truth.

“My aim is that the Bulldogs are never in this position again. This club should never be in that position. They will have a recruitment and development program that will sustain them long into the future.”

Gould revealed that in 18 months time the Bulldogs will have their salary cap in a position where they will be able to “totally reshape the look” and “culture” of the organisation.

That will include setting up the foundations for an academy system which he said will “provide a steady stream of young talent” to sustain the Bulldogs “for a long period of time”.

“That hasn’t been in place,” Gould said.

“That’s been neglected for a long period of time, therefore we have some players showing NRL potential in the junior ranks, but nowhere near enough.”

Gould has already gone about rectifying that, speaking to the families of 15 players aged between 18 and 21 over the weekend at Magic Round.

“I want an academy that starts at 14, 15, 16 years of age for local talent and other talent that we recruit to be developed as Bulldogs from those teenage years,” Gould added.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Phil Gould did it before at Penrith and while admitting the situation at Belmore is not exactly the same, the rugby league supremo has a plan to make the Bulldogs a powerhouse again.

In a dramatic week at the Bulldogs, which saw Trent Barrett resign as head coach and rumours of potential player movement swirl, Gould took to his‘Six Tackles with Gus’ podcastto clear the air.

Speaking on the podcast, the Bulldogs general manager of football revealed he has an 18-month plan to put the club in a position to “totally reshape” what it looks like.

“They’re in a different area, but there’s no stopping the Panthers now. The Bulldogs will be good too, I guarantee it.

“The Bulldogs are a big club. They’ve got a massive fanbase and the club has been in the doldrums for years. I know it’s been frustrating, but you can’t just wave a magic wand and fix that. It’s taken a long time to get into this state, you don’t just suddenly turn it around in a day.”

Gould said that in the past the Bulldogs have tried to “recruit their way out of trouble” and that at times, in the pursuit of short-term results, the club has lost sight of its long-term aims.

“That’s not the way to fix the club, you’ve got to take a long-term view of it,” Gould said.

“It’s kind of saying ‘all right, I know you’ve had a long period of losing, but there’s going to be more before we get better’. That’s just how it’s going to be.

“It’s the truth. Whether people are prepared to accept that or not, it’s the truth.

“My aim is that the Bulldogs are never in this position again. This club should never be in that position. They will have a recruitment and development program that will sustain them long into the future.”

Gould revealed that in 18 months time the Bulldogs will have their salary cap in a position where they will be able to “totally reshape the look” and “culture” of the organisation.

That will include setting up the foundations for an academy system which he said will “provide a steady stream of young talent” to sustain the Bulldogs “for a long period of time”.

“That’s been neglected for a long period of time, therefore we have some players showing NRL potential in the junior ranks, but nowhere near enough.”

Gould has already gone about rectifying that, speaking to the families of 15 players aged between 18 and 21 over the weekend at Magic Round.

“I want an academy that starts at 14, 15, 16 years of age for local talent and other talent that we recruit to be developed as Bulldogs from those teenage years,” Gould added.
Too bad Gould hadn't been here to do the rebuild that we just did and the rebuild before that rebuild etc etc.

By the sound of it, there are going to be mass changes in personnel - cutting a lot of players signed not long before Gould came along.

I do have faith we will be better for it, but fmd it feels like groundhog day.

We will all have to be patient for another 18 months on top of the last 5 or whatever years of being patient.

I'm sure everyone on here feels the same way, but my patience for being patient has just about run out.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Yes des fucked our juniors
This is why.

It's a picture of a dejected Hasler after Bulldogs defeated Sea Eagles in the 1995 Grand Final.

1652923980964.png

They say revenge is a dish best served cold.

He waited all those years to get revenge on our club and he did it in a very big way.

People can laugh about it if they want, but I am not joking.

Hasler is a real c**t and he obviously never forgot 1995.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Geoff Toovey said that Des would fuck the club ad he did with manly,as soon as he heard we signed him
A good friend of mine felt with him at NRMA and related the story

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is why.

It's a picture of a dejected Hasler after Bulldogs defeated Sea Eagles in the 1995 Grand Final.

View attachment 50646

He waited all those years to get revenge on our club and he did it in a very big way.

Let's just hope we don't sign Fittler 2004.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't care
I feel abit like you.
It's all well and good to work on the juniors and pathways etc, but that just needs to run in tandem with the first grade team.

2001 and 2009 showed that you can turn it around within 1 year if you recruit selectively and have a gameplan to let the new players flourish. 2009 is significant as both Parra and Dogs were bottom of table in '08 and they both played good footy and into the preliminary final. Parra making it through to GF.

I honestly was hoping for another 2009 or 2001 type turnaround from us. I had hopes that Baz could coach something new to this conglomerate of players, but even I was shocked we can be this bad.

We get another chance to make the wrongs right with the interim coach Potter (or should I say Furner) and then again with the next permanent coach.

All we wanted as fans this year was an improvement to around top 8 with a view of consolidating top 8 or better next year.

Now, even top 8 next year is a dream....

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we are to be competitive and win comps over the next 6 years, let's face it, we do have to buy our way out of the cellar. By then, we will have our academy up and running and hopefully the players coming through will keep the club at the top.

One thing I don't understand is with all the financial backing and money the club has and had why didn't the previous board, GM and CEO have this vision as Gould does?

It only tells me that they were all so incompetent and non business minded that all they were there for was their own best interest where they thought immediate success plans with Des was the way of the future and job security for themselves was more of a priority

Thank Fu*k they were over thrown. Nothing but fraudsters who had us all hoping things were going to turn around.

In Gould we trust.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Music to my ears :-)

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is why.

View attachment 50646

All that mattered to him was signing his mates on massive contracts being players and coaching staff including that pathetic Noel Cleal.