News ‘I thought it was all over’: How Reynolds’ return to Bulldogs almost ended before it began

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dream was almost over before it began for Josh Reynolds.
It was the last drill during a training session at Belmore in December. Club speedster Blake Wilson had managed to get on Reynolds’ outside.

“I tried to chase him down,” Reynolds said. “Then, bang!”
Reynolds’ hamstring had snapped. Again.

“I thought it was all over,” Reynolds said. “It hurt me because I’m a believer that you get out what you put into things. But I was giving it my everything. I’ve never wanted something so much in my life. Then bang! I just thought, ‘Why does this keep happening to me? Is there ever going to be a time when something doesn’t go wrong?’”
“A few people said to me after, ‘Oh mate, they’re the things you have to be careful of’. But that’s just not me. How do I not do that? I’ve always prided myself on effort. A part of me was thinking that if this is how it ends, at least I went down true to myself.”

Most people, even some at Canterbury, believed Reynolds’ days as an NRL footballer were over. On Sunday night, an idea born while sunbathing on a beach in Dubrovnik in Croatia last year will become a reality.
From a $1000 a week train-and-trial contract to a minimum wage NRL deal. Reynolds will complete a six-year round trip, via Concord and Hull, back to his beloved Bulldogs.

“When I was in Croatia I was weighing up whether to retire or not,” Reynolds. “In the five years since I had left the Bulldogs, I had lost the love of it. I still enjoyed the game, but I used to love the game.
“I just wasn’t ready to give it up. I wanted that feeling again – that feeling that I’ve only ever felt in a Bulldogs jersey. I didn’t want it to finish like the way it was going to. I wanted to finish loving it.

“You remember, I was a lunatic, bro. You could see the love in how I played. I wanted to be able to tell my kids one day, ‘I finished loving it’. So to play first grade again for the club that I love so much, it’s surreal to me.”
Only Raymond Faitala-Mariner remains at the club from when Reynolds left. Many of the old boys, including James Graham, Michael Ennis and Josh Morris, have been supporting Reynolds in the background.

“They were always checking up on me because they knew what it meant to me,” Reynolds said. “They saw how I left and knew how devastated I was. They could see it. I’ll never forget what James Graham said in his speech [offering to take a pay cut to keep Reynolds at the club] when I was leaving.

“And to be honest, I was doing it a bit for them. They wanted one of us boys back there. A bit of them was living inside me through the journey. It was hard to think positive all the time when you didn’t know what the outcome was going to be. I questioned it a couple of times, but then I thought about why I was there.
“I’m loving it again. I’m doing more than that, actually. I worked really hard for this opportunity. I didn’t just rock up and get handed a jersey. I had to earn it. I had to earn the respect of my teammates. I had to earn the respect of the club again. Now I get the chance to repay them. I’m not going to let them down.”

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good luck to him. Hope he makes a significant impact. I love the club but I don't have it in me to dedicate my life to the rigorous training and potential injuries of the NRL. So while plenty of people here think his inclusion in the tram is publicity based, he's done more than most people here will ever do to be where he is.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yay, his hammy's are still made of marshmallows

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I sense a season ending should injury coming… hopefully I’m wrong I just don’t see it ending well

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some people can play a whole career without soft tissue injuries some can barley get through a game.

Wishing Reynolds a successful return to first grade. Hope he gets us over the line for a win. But I think he’s done a calf strain and hamstring tear. So any time we can get from him is a bonus. Just his passion alone will be infectious. But I doubt he will be a mainstay in the side.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Still love Joshy, always have.. and he deserves to get on the field every game for as long as he can, the whole story with him coming back for one last fairy tale to end it all is AWESOME in my eyes!! Good luck buddy. Respect an love !!

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at Jacko. The bloke barely missed a game with us, then towards the tail end of his career hit a snag with injuries.

Reynolds has been hit and miss with his fitness, but you cannot fault his passion and enthusiasm, and that's something that can can rub off on other players and lift them when our backs against the wall in games.

If he plays a relaxed game, rather than everything a million miles an hour, he could most definitely fill the void between Karl Oloapu being ready, and Burton firing as a half. Injuries will be the only thing that stops him.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I still can't believe the comeback his hairline has made. Did he stopover in Türkiye on the way back from England?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see Reynolds popping one over for us to win in golden point, and then being carried of the field on the teams shoulders … [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yay! The PR stunt will fix all our problems...

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has a creative kick in his head is a Godsend at the moment