‘He’s A Good Person’: V’landys Says Booing Would Stop If Fans Knew Mitchell

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we stop booing Vlandys, will that help us at all?
PVL and his colleagues are a big part of the problem by not pulling Latrell into line. Fox Sports reporting this morning Souths have scheduled a meeting with Latrell. Long overdue. He needs to pull his head in. Can he? Will he?

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
PVL and his colleagues are a big part of the problem by not pulling Latrell into line. Fox Sports reporting this morning Souths have scheduled a meeting with Latrell. Long overdue. He needs to pull his head in. Can he? Will he?
At one stage I did buy into him being good for the game but thats long gone..way long gone, I could careless if he's around the game.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Have done a lot of coaching in junior cricket and Rugby league.

If you have players in your side who don't buy in to being a team player, then that team will struggle to be successful.

While I was never a,fan of Sam Burgess his comments last year have proven to be spot on. Souths didn't address his concerns last year, he moved on, the problems festered and they are still there. They've been swept under the carpet until now when it is probably too late.

JD looks like being the fall guy, but those higher up in the club needed to have stepped up before now.

As Jack Gibson who coached Souths at one point often said, "Winning football starts in the front office".

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Gee it is not at if he hasn't been booed in the past and that was basically looked at as not out of the ordinary, part of being an NRL player in the spotlight, but once it involves us it becomes something "sinister". No one can say anything at all that is negative about the bloke without it becoming "racial" Criticism has come from many directions on and off the field, and indeed from one of his "brothers" in one instance, so how come now it is?
For heaven's sake. Why do people continually insinuate that the booing Latrell receives is racially motivated. They are the ones who are stirring the pot and pushing the agenda in this direction. No one I spoke to on the weekend at the game and indeed after were thinking "We are going to ( or did ) boo Latrell because he is indigenous" Simply put it was due to his behaviour in our last meeting and in subsequent games against other sides. The JAC incident was simply the icing on the cake.

Many great indigenous players have graced the footy field over the years and we as a club have had a few; Tony Currie, JT, Jamal Idris, Ewen McGrady ( my personal favourite), Rocket Rod Silva, Willie Tonga, Gavin Lester and of course JAC.. How many of them have been booed? If race was a motivation everyone of those players would.
The way in which someone behaves and acts can most certainly dictate the way in which they are seen and colour of skin doesn't come into it, unless someone insinuates it.
He has rubbed fans of a lot of teams up the wrong way simply because of the way he behaves on and off the field. He has a habit of trying to rub opposition fans up the wrong way with a "shoosh" , he milks penalties and uses grubby tactics and he polarizes many with things he says and does off field.

Someone tells him he needs to show respect (Gould) and everyone gets their knickers in a knot. He wants to be respected , okay that is a two way street, so he needs to understand that some of the things he says and does are disrespectful.

Fans are upset that just recently he was excused for using a tirade of expletives commenting that he would not apologize for doing so. In fact the spin was put on the whole thing that the broadcaster should bear the brunt of the blame because there was both audio and visual record of the whole affair. Perhaps if he had directed those words at someone in the NRL he might have been punished just as Brandon Smith was with a three match suspension. Other players have sworn but the difference being that they have stopped themselves, apologized and not continued with it. Ask Roosters fans how they feel about the Tedesco incident this season. Ask the Souths fans how they reacted to his laziness and lack of urgency in the same game which cost his team. They were ropeable and showed their displeasure but has the possibility of any of that being wrong been brought up?

I am so over the agenda driven comments of certain parts of the media.

In the NRL 2018 finals series, Mitchell was handed a one match suspension after being charged for a crusher tackle on Josh Dugan in the Roosters victory over Cronulla.

In Game 1 of the 2019 State of Origin series, Mitchell was sin binned for a professional foul on Matt Gillett in the 58th minute,[29] and dropped for the subsequent games.[30]

On 27 April 2020, Mitchell was fined $1000 by the NRL and placed under investigation after he broke strict lockdown protocols with fellow NRL player Josh Addo-Carr by going on a weekend camping trip during the COVID-19 pandemic.

On 28 April, Mitchell was fined an additional $50,000 by the NRL for breaching strict self-isolation protocols and for bringing the game into disrepute.[103] On 9 November, Taree Local Court sentenced Mitchell to a 12-month conditional release order after he pleaded guilty to giving a firearm to a person not authorised by a licence or permit.[104]

On 20 April, Mitchell was suspended for four weeks after being charged over two incidents during South Sydney's victory over the Wests Tigers in round 6. The incidents involved Mitchell lashing out at Wests player Luke Garner with his boot, and a late hit to the head of David Nofoaluma. Mitchell was also fined $3000 by the NRL[46] and ruled ineligible for a 2021 Dally M Medal due to this suspension.
However, his season ended when sin-binned for an illegal shoulder charge on Roosters player Joseph Manu, who left the field with a fractured cheekbone.[52] Mitchell subsequently took an early plea after being charged with a grade two reckless high tackle charge and was suspended for six matches (675 points).[53] Without his prior offences, Mitchell would have been offered a four-week ban.[54] Consequently, Mitchell missed playing in the 2021 finals series and the 2021 NRL Grand Final against the Penrith Panthers.
On 1 September 2021, NSW State of Origin coach Brad Fittler warned that Mitchell could "end up shortening his career" if unable to stay out of trouble on the field.[55]

In round 17, Mitchell stood in as captain and kicked six out of eight goals for South Sydney in their 40–28 victory over the Newcastle Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium.[66] In the 18th minute, he was placed on report for high contact to the head of Newcastle winger Dominic Young.[67]

In round 25, he successfully kicked two of three conversion goal attempts for South Sydney in their 26–16 loss to the Sydney Roosters at Sydney Football Stadium.[70] In the 70th minute, Mitchell was sin-binned for ten minutes for deliberately impeding the play the ball off the back of repeat set restarts.[71]
A few days before round 25, he was filmed shotgunning beer onstage at a concert
.[88] Apart from successfully kicking one of two goal attempts, "two crucial errors" in round 25 led directly to opposition tries in South Sydney's 10-29 loss to the Newcastle Knights, and in the final minutes Mitchell was sin-binned for an elbow to the back of Tyson Frizell's head.[89][90] Mitchell later conceded that this "grubby act has no place in the game".[91] An early guilty plea to a grade two dangerous contact charge resulted in a one-match suspension that ruled Mitchell out of playing in South Sydney's last game of the season.[92][93
Thanks for the effort there Dogluva. The sad truth here is that his attitude is so shit now that he's probably beyond redemption.

His bullshit attitude needed to be addressed earlier than now. I get the impression that the Roosters and Rabbitohs just don't call out attitude if a player has enough talent. It's probably why despite having incredible rosters, they haven't had the success they should.

But if he'd started copping lengthy suspensions for foul play he'd have cut that from his game. He supposedly wants to be this role model. But he's a deadset fuckwit if he thinks acting like a spoiled turd is the way to go about it.

The NRL is hideously short of recognised role models if they have to keep cleaning Mitchell of everytime he lands himself in crap.

I've honestly not been a fan since the massive amount of media coverage that his 14 month decision to move to Souths got. Was actually glad the rumours we'd get him were wrong at the time despite his natural talent.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Not sure if his suffering mentally or what. But the last 3 games he has been doing his all to get suspended it seems. Stepping on Tedesco, high hit on JAC and then the tackle on the warriors prop and the elbow on SJ.

Like one brain snap per year is excusable, in game pressure, trying too hard etc. he’s had 4 in the last 3 games. Got off with a fine for the addo carr one then intentionally elbows a player half his size. Could have easily collapsed his throat.

Makes you wonder what is going through his head and what is happening at Souths. The guy that called it out got sacked…… talk about a protected species. Gus said it best. Latrell was someone that needed structure. He needed someone to tell him pull your head in, this isn’t on, don’t do this or that. He went to Souths and they massaged his ego not to offend him and it has literally created someone with all the talent in the world but no aptitude to being an athlete at all.
The lazy grub is just angry he is in a shit team and none of the players are doing his work for him.

I see this nearly every weekend in JRL.

It's as simple as that.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the biggest problems today is that nobody wants to address certain indigenous people having a huge chip on their shoulder.. I'm not gonna say Latrell hasn't been through some sh*t I mean he did grow up in Taree after all, but it's not healthy. The higher ups at Souths appear too caught up caring about their own image to do anything about it, same with the NRL.. what sort of influence will it have on kids seeing a "role model" taking his frustrations out in the form of physically attacking opposition players. The bloke is a ticking time bomb and yet everybody just ignores the fact he has genuine issues.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The lazy grub is just angry he is in a shit team and none of the players are doing his work for him.

I see this nearly every weekend in JRL.

It's as simple as that.
[/QUO
I've seen plenty of lazy players in Junior sport. A lot of the time they are forced to play by their parents.

Very easy to pick in cricket. They usually want to field in slips because they won't have to chase after the ball. You test them out on a slips cradle and they get shown up.

In Rugby League they try to hide in defence either on the blind side or at 2nd marker and avoid tackling.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Find it interesting that Demetriou will sit him down this week to have a chat. Why doesn’t he sit down with him earlier / more frequently? He’s obviously the player who needs that…

the club also planned 2 weeks in advance to speak with him. Surely due to the nature of the season imploding they could have organised for it to occur sooner

the Rabbitohs seem in no rush to improve their season

you look at their roster and it’s not a talent problem…it’s an attitude problem
I wouldnt be surprised if the chat is like, hey latrell you are suspended what do you think you need to work on to avoid it happening again. And he is like I need to go to my farm. And they are like yeh sure sounds good, see you next month. Dont forget what day we playing and try to get to the stadium 5 mins before kick off :p

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember the meltdown on here when we missed out on him. Looks like the club made the right decision.

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort there Dogluva. The sad truth here is that his attitude is so shit now that he's probably beyond redemption.

His bullshit attitude needed to be addressed earlier than now. I get the impression that the Roosters and Rabbitohs just don't call out attitude if a player has enough talent. It's probably why despite having incredible rosters, they haven't had the success they should.

But if he'd started copping lengthy suspensions for foul play he'd have cut that from his game. He supposedly wants to be this role model. But he's a deadset fuckwit if he thinks acting like a spoiled turd is the way to go about it.

The NRL is hideously short of recognised role models if they have to keep cleaning Mitchell of everytime he lands himself in crap.

I've honestly not been a fan since the massive amount of media coverage that his 14 month decision to move to Souths got. Was actually glad the rumours we'd get him were wrong at the time despite his natural talent.
Living close to Taree and with the indigenous population fairly substantial here as well, there is a lot of trouble with young ones doing the wrong thing. There are enough problems with them as it is, without them seeing what Latrell gets up to. A role model is not just someone who can throw a footy around, give away a few jerseys here and there, in fact they must be beyond reproach and be genuine in their dialogue with the kids.They must put their best foot forward always and understand that what kids see and hear is what makes an impression on them.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You could see this racism shit coming from a mile away, and it will be his out to leave the NRL to smother the fact he's not a full backs arsehole, he couldn't cut it at origin level, and he's a dirty fucking grub of a player. none of which has anything to do with his skin tone or ethnicity. One day this flog will look back and realize he wasted some of the most amazing natural ability that has ever been gifted to an individual player, for one reason and one reason only, He didn't want to do the work.
Agree except he won’t look back and think he wasted his ability. Will be someone else’s fault he didn’t achieve more …

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree except he won’t look back and think he wasted his ability. Will be someone else’s fault he didn’t achieve more …
Yeah, he will claim racism

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone with influence cares what path he is on, they will tell him what he doesnt want to hear

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Living close to Taree and with the indigenous population fairly substantial here as well, there is a lot of trouble with young ones doing the wrong thing. There are enough problems with them as it is, without them seeing what Latrell gets up to. A role model is not just someone who can throw a footy around, give away a few jerseys here and there, in fact they must be beyond reproach and be genuine in their dialogue with the kids.They must put their best foot forward always and understand that what kids see and hear is what makes an impression on them.
I've got a mate from my uni days that does workshops with schoolkids. Him and a little group of friends teach kids to rap to help express themselves. Usually involves them forming groups to talk about life and come up with ideas for them to make a rap video. He even had a government funded youth centre/recording studio running at one stage. I'm not sure if they got it going again after it was destroyed by flooding.

I've seen a few of the videos and the kids seem to love it. He's a very out there character who spent his teenage years on the streets addicted to drugs. But he sorted his life out. So he's used that to create a niche for himself and as much as it surprises me he's actually a good role model.

So I agree. Being good at a sport doesn't automatically turn someone into a role model. It requires a degree of dedication that Latrine doesn't have.