News ‘Drums had been beating’: Awkward ‘unnerving’ pub moment Barrett learned of Bulldogs fate

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
James Hooper has revealed the awkward moment Trent Barrett had at a Port Macquarie pub as news of a crunch Bulldogs board meeting broke with the writing on the wall for his future.

Conjecture over whether Barrett stepped down or was sacked will continue to swirl, but it appears likely that he jumped before he was pushed.

“I spoke to a couple of blokes who were up at the Settler’s Inn at Port Macquarie yesterday and Baz was actually up on the NSW North Coast to attend Shane Millard’s old man’s funeral today,” Hooper said on NRL 360.

“They were at the pub yesterday and the news flashed up on Fox League that it was a breaking story that the Canterbury board had called an emergency general meeting and in all likelihood Baz had coached his last game.

“Trying to speak to other people around Canterbury Bankstown today I think that the drums had been beating for around a week now.

“But still that would have been quite unnerving for Baz to be standing there having a schooner at the pub and that news comes up.”

Braith Anasta believes that development puts to bed the notion that Barrett’s decision to step down was of his own making.

“It squashes the rumour too that he quit,” Anasta said.

“If he didn’t know that he was going to get the chop.”

However, Paul Kent revealed that Barrett had a number of meeting with Bulldogs boss Phil Gould over Magic Round in Brisbane where the finer details of his exit were discussed in private.

“I have been told he had several discussions with Gould in Brisbane after the loss over Magic Round before he returned to Port Macquarie where he was today,” Kent said.

“Certainly the discussions have been had. I don’t know if the discussions were about, mate you need to go, and work that out or mate, you are going and we will sort out what it looks like.

“It can take any form. We will get details at some point.”

However, Phil Rothfield believes Barrett will keep the details of his exit quiet as to not affect the terms of his payout, with the club reportedly forking out $500,000 for him to walk.

“I don’t think we will get Baz talking about it because it will put his money under threat,” Rothfield said.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does everyone else feel about how this is played out?
Me personally the lies and deception and cover up is makeing us look bad as a club a lack of transparency.
We could of sacked him and said the truth the team aren’t performing under you,thanks for your efforts time for a change.
In all fairness seems like we have regressed with a better squad.
Players need to take a good look at themselves more than Barrett.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anything written by Hooper/Rothfield/Riccio/Crawley/Kent should be taken with a grain of salt.

They love seeing Gould in the stink because he's a direct rival on Channel 9.
Exactly this. The talking heads at fox can spin, fabricate and stretch a story any way that they want.
They have to because they don't get any 'mail' from the club.
The entire league coverage at fox is aimed to create controversy through these muppets, then regurgitate the shit they've spun on the fox website to garner clicks and revenue.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Me personally the lies and deception and cover up is makeing us look bad as a club a lack of transparency.
We could of sacked him and said the truth the team aren’t performing under you,thanks for your efforts time for a change.
Who cares. I don't want transparency, I want wins. Media will make up shit anyway. The other option was to sack Baz with no golden handshake and have Baz tell his side - which will also be manipulated by the media. Gus and the dogs have handled this perfectly considering the circumstances.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
baz was always going to be there for the funeral, why couldnt he step down on his drive up there? entirely plausible that the news came out after baz's call to gus

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who cares. I don't want transparency, I want wins. Media will make up shit anyway. The other option was to sack Baz with no golden handshake and have Baz tell his side - which will also be manipulated by the media. Gus and the dogs have handled this perfectly considering the circumstances.
well he has signed a NDA , no interviews or not press releases on the matter. Buzz for the first time said something I agree with and that was “bulldogs got baz to sign a NDA, as such the club can move on from it very quickly without anymore headaches”

*mind you this was just what I kind of remembered not actual direct quote

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Make this article #322 generated from last night's NRL 180 segment.

This was the dumbest anecdote of them all from Hooper. Baz would have already known.. Are we supposed to not fire him because he might see a news report about himself on the TV when at the pub? Like what the fuck are they talking about and how do they come up with this shit?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
1. Papers: Next weeks fish and chip wrappers.

2. TV: Next week some other NRL identity thrown under the bus by Murdoch Media/Fox/360 and the circus moves on.

Hopefully we can get on with rebuilding for a few months until we are once again the Murdoch click bait.

Reactions: DDR

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100%

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1. Papers: Next weeks fish and chip wrappers.

2. TV: Next week some other NRL identity thrown under the bus by Murdoch Media/Fox/360 and the circus moves on.

Hopefully we can get on with rebuilding for a few months until we are once again the Murdoch click bait.
Nah.. They're like a dog with a bone. They hate Gus and create stories about him even where there isn't one. Now that Baz is fired and they actually have a genuine story, they're going to milk this for all it's worth for months and months. They'll continue to hammer Gus and make up shit about the whole squad wanting to leave because they're supposedly so loyal to a coach with a 5-29 record.

They live for situations like these because they can generate endless content and make up more rumours about players and backflips etc.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Make this article #322 generated from last night's NRL 180 segment.

This was the dumbest anecdote of them all from Hooper. Baz would have already known.. Are we supposed to not fire him because he might see a news report about himself on the TV when at the pub? Like what the fuck are they talking about and how do they come up with this shit?
A news report from Fox, which then speculated that the meeting would result in a sacking. The last such meeting was held at West Tigers, and didn't end in a sacking, so there is recent history that shows that talk of a sacking is indeed speculation. No one can know for certain if someone is going to get fired until it happens, in fact even the board don't know, that's why they are having a meeting!

If Barrett paid any attention to the "news" item at all, it wasn't to the speculative part. I'm inclined to believe that the version of events we've been given by sources at the club is reasonably close to true. It will be a highly unusual day that I accept what any of the droolers at Fox sports has to say.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So out of 2 10 min segments last night on Fox and 9 we get 15 articles rehashing the same thing over and over again :expressionless:

Must be a slow news month.......

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a cover up if he was sacked and it's a cover up if he quit. Either way, there's an agenda from the media to keep putting the boot in because they are not getting what they want. Hypocrites.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
How could the Fox sports dribblers have any idea of how it all went down? I heard they don't even use drones. Pretty amateurish, tbh. I mean, all professional media outlets use drones these days.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hooper spoke to a couple of randoms at the pub, really ? that's jurnalizm at Fox i guess

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hooper couldn't get to the pub to get first hand information like a professional reporter because he can't drive and doesn't have a licence due to DUI so he depends on the bloke who just downed six schooners to do his journalism for him.