‘Concerning’ NRL gulf exposed as Roosters’ roster valued at $4m more than Dolphins

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘Concerning’ NRL gulf exposed as Roosters’ roster valued at $4m more than Dolphins

Are the Panthers set to fall in 2023? | 04:31
Staff Writers from Fox Sports
February 27th, 2023 11:19 am
The Sydney Roosters’ roster has been valued at $13 million, which is $1.5 million over the salary cap due to their pulling power exposing a gulf with the Dolphins worth over $4 million dollars.
The Daily Telegraph analysed more than 500 NRL players and their market values to reveal that the Roosters “on paper” are worth more than $4 million more than the inaugural Dolphins roster in 2023.
FOR THE FULL ROSTER EVALUATION OF EVERY NRL CLUB, CLICK HERE!

'I'm a bit worried about the Eels' | 04:29

Veteran journalists Phil Rothfield and Brent Read valued players at each club based on what they are worth now on the open market, rather than what they are currently being paid.

Laurie Daley put to Rothfield on Sky Sports radio why he valued the Roosters so much higher than many of the other clubs in the NRL in terms of what their players are worth on the open market.
“You have rated every NRL roster and the Roosters are worth nearly $2 million over the cap in your eyes and you believe that a lot of clubs have got a lot of work to do,” Daley said on The Big Sports Breakfast.
“I do,” Rothfield explained.
“My colleague at The Daily Telegraph Brent Read and myself went through every roster, so there was a couple of opinions, not just mine.
“But I don’t think too many people will argue the value we have put on the Sydney Roosters and it is about $1.8 million over the salary cap.

The Roosters roster was valued at $13 million on the open market.
The Roosters roster was valued at $13 million on the open market.Source: News Corp Australia

“I want to start off by saying there is absolutely no suggestion that they are rorting the cap. It is more about them being such a powerful club and the fact that players want to get the opportunity to play under a three-time premiership winning coach in Trent Robinson and their influential chairman Nick Politis.
“When you go through the roster there is a couple of million dollar players to start off with in James Tedesco and Joey Manu.
“They have got Joseph Suaali’i in the backline worth $800,000. Luke Keary is worth $700,000.

Is Ponga ready to become a five-eight? | 03:01

“Then you go through their pack. Waerea-Hargreaves $700,000. Brandon Smith, Angus Crichton, Victor Radley and they are all $700,000 plus.
“So I don’t think there can be too many arguments about their value on paper.”
Rothfield believes the analysis revealed a worrying gulf between the best clubs and the rest in terms of what their players are actually worth on the open market.
“The concerning thing is it does show there is quite a gap between the top and the bottom sides,” Rothfield said.
“Like you look at the Dolphins who we rated at $8.7 million and I don’t think too many people could argue with that.

Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins roster was valued at $8.7 million.
Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins roster was valued at $8.7 million.Source: The Courier-Mail

“But the good news is that they have picked up Tom Flegler and Herbie Farnworth in the last 48 hours and that is going to be a significant upgrade in their squad.
“But I still think they are missing the superstar marquee player in the halves.

“I think they will be competitive early on, but as injuries settle in I think they are going to struggle and that’s why for a lot of people they are favourites to win the wooden spoon.”
Daley agreed the Dolphins are lacking in one or two marquee signings that would see their evaluation rise from $8.7 million.
“I think you have got that one spot on,” Daley said.
“I think they have got some good experienced players but they just haven’t got the depth of some of those other teams.”

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don’t worry, they will be cap compliant (insert when the time calls) on that day. I don’t believe that they want to play for the club crap either.

If they snag leniu he’s not chasing a premiership, he’s chasing coin.

Last edited:

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let's not forget they have by all accounts just signed Spencer ( some mother do hav'em ) Leniu. He was after $700 K.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Stupid article. Off course the Roosters who are a top team are going to be worth more than an expansion team that is paying overs to shit players.

Also everyone knows the salary cap doesn't work so why do they harp on about it year after year?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Teams like the Warriors will never win the comp. Even though they've got a huge talent pool, they don't have the same pulling power that clubs like the Roosters have.

Not many marquee players will be willing to uproot their families and go. In addition to that, they don't have the same access to third party deals that Sydney or QLD clubs have.

If the salary cap was fair, NZ would've won a few comps by now.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Teams like the Warriors will never win the comp. Even though they've got a huge talent pool, they don't have the same pulling power that clubs like the Roosters have.

Not many marquee players will be willing to uproot their families and go. In addition to that, they don't have the same access to third party deals that Sydney or QLD clubs have.

If the salary cap was fair, NZ would've won a few comps by now.
Disagree there. Warriors hire shit coaches & don't know how to develop their own players. It has nothing to do with the salary cap.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Disagree there. Warriors hire shit coaches & don't know how to develop their own players. It has nothing to do with the salary cap.
Apart from Greg Alexander, how many non NZ marquee players have they signed up in the last decade or 2? They don't have the same level of 3rd party sponsors to chip in.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Apart from Greg Alexander, how many non NZ marquee players have they signed up in the last decade or 2? They don't have the same level of 3rd party sponsors to chip in.
Why would a player living in Sydney go to NZ for the same money? Has nothing to do with the salary cap. Also the Warriors had better juniors than the Panthers currently do yet they couldn't develop them into NRL players. That has nothing to do with the salary cap. When you have a whole country to pick from you don't need marquee signings.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd argue that Rads isn't worth 700k. Also Suallii, Manu def worth more on open market than we're paying them.

AND I'd have never such a long deal.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It's like when they got Cronk... Took a pay cut to go there, then leaves and we have 1 mil spare haha

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's why the Warriors wanted Gould, Covid killed that idea and we benefitted.

Always a Bulldog

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Warriors need to get away from the nationalism crap and recruit more white guys. Otherwise continue being the team that’s only ever going to make up the numbers.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Shock horror, the Roosters have been cheating the cap.. Who knew?

You can't take this seriously though when Rothfield is pulling figures out of his ass and he's hardly the most astute judge to estimate a players worth.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Shock horror, the Roosters have been cheating the cap.. Who knew?

You can't take this seriously though when Rothfield is pulling figures out of his ass and he's hardly the most astute judge to estimate a players worth.
Are they cheating it though? You're allowed 3rd party agreements that don't count against the cap.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Are they cheating it though? You're allowed 3rd party agreements that don't count against the cap.
They're (the Chooks) not allowed TPA's, TPA's are strictly between players and third parties. Of course Politis never organises TPA's for players, that would be illegal.

Always a Bulldog

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's comical this is not satire.

ok.jpg

Joelmcevoy2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They fucking should get stripped of points like we did there over the cap dirty ***** bullshit they should start minus points