News ‘All the bulls**t you get about welfare’: Kent blasts Dogs for ’dropping the ball’ on Flanagan

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have been criticised for throwing Kyle Flanagan to the wolves by letting him speak to the media and break down in tears on Tuesday before he was dropped when the Canterbury team was named.

Flanagan, along with the rest of the Bulldogs squad, was put up to speak to the press on Tuesday and it came just two days after he was benched by coach Trent Barrett.

The young halfback broke down in tears when he was asked a question about what his dad, Shane, had said to him.
But later that day Flanagan was axed at the expense of Brandon Wakeham.

The Bulldogs’ stance attracted criticism from The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Crawley on NRL360 on Fox League.
“It’s shocking, the club should be embarrassed,” Crawley said.

“Kyle shouldn’t be embarrassed. They hooked him on the weekend and they made the decision to drop him.

“They’ve got the right to do that, but it’s also their job to protect him.

“I don’t care if it’s Adam Reynolds or Daly Cherry-Evans, throw any halfback you want into that side – they won’t fix the problems at the Bulldogs.

“The problems at the Bulldogs aren't Kyle Flanagan’s doing.”

Crawley added: “If I was a player, you wouldn’t go and trust tour career at that joint. We give the Tigers a hard time, the Bulldogs are a basket case.”

Crawley’s Telegraph colleague Paul Kent said the Bulldogs needed to ask themselves why they allowed Flanagan to be exposed to a media scrum and then dropped him.

“With the squad available today the requests were put in and everybody ‘said can I get Kyle?’ At that point they said you know what, we may as well put him up,” Kent explained.

“But they should’ve told someone there, at the very least sit down and have a talk to him and get his frame of mind, and an understanding of where he’s at and if he’s able to handle it.

“He might’ve got up today and been able to handle it and just put his version out and everyone walks away going, well done, well handled.

“But he clearly is not at that stage and someone at the club – and for all the bulls**t you get about welfare at clubs – to drop the ball on this kid like they have today, it’s tough on him and embarrassing for the club.

“Someone at the club needs to sit there and answer a few questions.”

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This Crawley **** is embarrassing. The media take something an explode it out of proportion and then have the hide to blame the club without knowing all the facts.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whilst I agree with most of what was said. We’re not a basket case. We’re rebuilding. The tigers just aren’t doing anything. The club shouldn’t of even put Flanagan up in the first place.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
This is ironic because the reason Kent and Crawley hate us so much is because we don’t give the media a lot of time or info anymore. Both putrid little *****

IRON AIDEN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Flanno , firstly should not think his guatanteed a spot in first grade as should any player in this squad ! Now punt him to super league

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We definitely dropped the ball here, in saying that, can you imagine what these cretins would be saying if we just dropped Kyle Flannagan without explaination (as if we'd owe them that in the first place)?

These 'journos' care for mental health? Are they kidding me? Perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Barrett should be protecting his players better than that. I don’t care how bad he’s playing. I hope Barrett isn’t turning into the same show pony he was at manly…. Blaming the administration’s form for he’s teams performance…now he’s blaming he’s playmakers ? he’s the coach… !!!! Show some balls!!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can we stop starting a new thread for twenty articles about the same thing? All it does it clutter the forum and give these fuckwits attention they don't deserve

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure Flanno is not the cause of all the problems, but maybe he’s not the solution either...

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
The hypocrisy is astounding.
Roosters sack Flanno 1 year into a lengthy contract, no big deal.
Bulldogs give him a week off from first grade, we are career killers.
Just looks like Tbaz is blaming him that’s all I think.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett should be protecting his players better than that. I don’t care how bad he’s playing. I hope Barrett isn’t turning into the same show pony he was at manly…. Blaming the administration’s form for he’s teams performance…now he’s blaming he’s playmakers ? he’s the coach… !!!! Show some balls!!!
Your a moron

Malla

Reaction score
Just looks like Tbaz is blaming him that’s all I think.
Questionable. We don't know whats said behind closed doors and what he's asked him to work on at Reggies.

I think there needs to be some level of accountability here from both sides, but I am pretty sure Robinson hooked Flanno a couple times last year mid game didnt he?? No media storm when that happened.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We dropped the ball in allowing Flanno to front media after getting hooked over the weekend and having a fair understanding he was being dropped to Reggies.. the media was always going to ask that question and we were always going to look bad... this despite the Rorters dropping him several times then cutting him from their roster altogether... they were at least smart enough to handle in-house as opposed to authorising a presser for a young vulnerable kid to fend for himself.

The club will need to respond and try and rationalise the situation, for all we know, the media may have requested permission to speak with the kid and he insisted to go out there and talk about it probably with good intentions with being motivated to return back to top-flight footy and the occasion maybe got him? No one knows but Flanno and the Club... either way, the club needs a response, looks f###ed up.