Search results

1. Old Bulldog

The Isaac Luke try

I've seen countless players stick their foot out under the ball to deny a try. It is perceived as clever. Josh Morris got his timing only just slightly out and conceded an 8-point try. It was clearly accidental and if the NRL wants to suspend Josh, they need to bring in a rule that makes the use...
  2. Old Bulldog

Post-Penrith press conference

Des stated that we were "not responsible enough with the ball ... a trend that has continued over recent seasons. It's obviosly something we need to adjust". May I suggest that the Bulldogs have problems with speedy off-the-line defence because we play so bloody flat. Mistakes are foreced...
  3. Old Bulldog

Auckland Nines squad

What is your idea of the perfect comination? And, are both JMoz and BMoz available? I would include Corey Thompson, Moses Mbye, Sam Kasiano, Josh Reynolds, Michael Licchea, Greg Eastwood, Tim Lafaii, Rona, Loko and Frawley.
  4. Old Bulldog

The 2015 pack

England's best player against NZ was James Graham. He stood deeper in attack and was always dangerous. Let's hope Des takes note. In the Aussie versus Samoa match David Klemmer was close to being man-of-the-match. Josh Jackson made an imkpressive international debut. For the Samoans, Frank...
  5. Old Bulldog

Under 20's SOO

Lloyd Perret is having a blinder in a losing side. He will be a superstar forward in years to come. And then there's Dave Klemmer. We are fully armed.
  6. Old Bulldog

The cost of going to the footy

Today on the Big Sports Breakfast there were compaints about the cost of attending the Golden Slipper day, and the associated cost of food and drinks for which people had to queue for ages. Not to mention the quality. Today in the SMH there were letters compaining about the very same thing at...
  7. Old Bulldog

Channel 9

Does anyone know if contractularly Channel 9 had the option to do a live telecast of this Good Friday's game? It would attract a HUGE audience on a day when nothing much else happens (unless you like religious movies).
  8. Old Bulldog

Dear players

Jack Gibson's advice for handling the big one was to try to make the first play of your game the best. That way, whatever happens, you have given it your all. Go guys.
  9. Old Bulldog

New Australian Flag

10. Old Bulldog

So, do we rest players now

Minor premiership tied up. What do we do with the last round against the Roosters? I don't have a definitive opinion. I wonder how Des is thinking.
  11. Old Bulldog

Why I hope we play Manly in the 1st week of the finals

I sincerely hope we step up and beat the Roosters next week. And then, bring on Manly. I think Des can get us up again against this side. But it will be bruising, torrid and testing. It's exactly the intensity we need going into the final games of the 2012 season. With the subsequent week off...
  12. Old Bulldog

Daylight saving

Please note that it has ended. Please adjust your computer clock.
  13. Old Bulldog

2012 coach

I can only imagine what's going on behind the scenes at the moment. I think Tod Greenburg has spoken to Jim Dymock about whether he would step aside for Des Hasler. And I assume that Jim would have been asked to directly phone Des to tell him he hasn't a problem with him taking over immediately...
  14. Old Bulldog

Dale Finnucane

Did anyone note his stats from the game against Cronulla? Looks like another Paul Gallen to me.
  15. Old Bulldog

Josh Jackson

The Daily Telecrap has reported that St George's Josh Jackson was brought into the NSW Origin camp along with other young promising players such as Tariq Simms. I'm sure it's the Dogs own Josh Jackson they are referring to. Can anyone confirm?
  16. Old Bulldog

Fabulous win by the Under 20's

Just wondering if Josh Jacvkson is injured.
  17. Old Bulldog

We need a crowd

The team needs a kick up the you-know-what at the moment. And the best way to give it to them is to get to the game and inspire them. If you can make the game tomorrow night against Manly, PLEASE DO.
  18. Old Bulldog

Does anyone know ...

... the name of the Bulldog mascot (the actual bulldog)???
  19. Old Bulldog

Fed up

The hypocritical judgement of rugby league players is disturbing. It's a legacy of the "celebrity culture" that has been lately created and flawed in so many ways. It is a deliberate policy by the media to sell their product, and nothing more. The demonisation of Benji Marshall and Todd Carney...
  20. Old Bulldog

Golfers?

Seems almost all players of all sports use golf to unwind. Some, like Ricky Ponting, Noddy and Paul Vautin play off low single figures. Any idea who the best of the current Bulldogs squad? (Trivial I know, but it is that time of year).
  21. Old Bulldog

The meaning of "mongrel"

Parramatta had us beaten last week from the opening set. It wasn't so much the Hayne Train brilliance at the end of it, but the fact that their forwards were allowed to steamroll ours on their kick-off return to take them from their own 10-metre line to our quarter in five tackles. They just...
  22. Old Bulldog

Some hope

Looks like our NSWRL Reserve Grade side will make the finals. And the Toyota Cup Under 20's are on the charge. It at least give us something to look forward to in 2010.
  23. Old Bulldog

The Blues looked like the Dogs

NSW looked like a side under incredible pressure - individually and collectively. They seemed drained of energy, creativity, intuition, confidence, decisiveness and, most of all, calm clear heads. I think that's what happens when players feel such pressure that it takes away all the simple joy...
  24. Old Bulldog

Josh Reynolds

I see that he was our best in the NSW Cup win last week. He's been close to MOM in all their games in the last month. I would love to see him given a chance in the NRL. Personally, I believe he'd be more effective at five-eighth than Blake Green. Good luck Josh, and please keep plugging away...
  25. Old Bulldog

Responibility

I find it disappointing, to say the least, when an organisation blames the quality of its staff for its poor performance. It happens all the time. Rather than question their management, they rationalise their problems by convincing themselves that "stealing" the star staff of their opposition...
  26. Old Bulldog

Psychology

I have begun to think that the major ingredient in getting the best out of individually talented players and the team as a whole is all about the psychology. Having a coach with a "good football brain" is no longer enough. It's the best psychologist that get the results because the simple...
  27. Old Bulldog

Noddy needs to shut up

Brett Kimmorley has talked up the chances of the Blues against Queensland because he and Michael Ennis have such a "brilliant combination". That will not only fire up Mal Maninga's team, but it is a total misrepresentation of what we have seen so far this year. Noddy is obviously a man of...
  28. Old Bulldog

Noddy's performance for Country

Brett said himself that the keys to his performance were a strong go-forward, and the fact that he didn't have to be the major go-to man in attack, with Tod Carney taking the responsibility when appropriate. It makes total sense to me. We will miss Ben Roberts for some weeks. And it places more...
  29. Old Bulldog

Bring tjhem on!

Can't wait to meet the Sharks and the Eels. I reckon we'll nearly handle them.
  30. Old Bulldog

Rotation?

I think it is almost impossible to maintain intensity in the NRL week after week in what has become the most physically and mentally challenging competition in the world. That's why tipping is so much more difficult than it was ten years ago. The key is to somehow win games, keep something in...
  31. Old Bulldog

It could be a long year

Here's a very honest appraisal of the game and what the Dogs have to do to turn things around. http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=35648
  32. Old Bulldog

Nick Taylor

Probably the most improved player in the Bulls side. Got the Players' Player award against Wenty. Can play wing, fullback, centre and kicks goals. Does anyone know if he is re-signing with the Dogs for 2010???
  33. Old Bulldog

The off-season

The stat that counted against us all year, and again last night, was our missed tackles. Our inability to lock up the ball allowed Parramatta to offload almost at will, particularly as the game wore on. It's a hangover from last year that Kevin Moore needs to address urgently. Defence is not...
  34. Old Bulldog

They froze

One team with nothing to lose ... the other with everything. The pressure destroyed us. Tadpole has to get them back to being confident, happy and positive. Probably our worst performance of the year. And it's all in the head.
  35. Old Bulldog

Underrated - Michael Hodgson

I haven't noticed too many wraps for this guy, so I thought I'd do it. Most importantly, he is super-fit for a big guy, and his enthusiasm and commitment are second to none. Michael leads the forwards up in defence and sets the pace of the line speed. His mid-field defence, especially his...
  36. Old Bulldog

Rookie Of The Year

Obviously the competition for the Bulldog rookie of the year is between Ben Barba, John Kite and Jamal Idris. And the NRL Dally M award seems to belong to Chris Sandow. But, to my way of thinking, Jamal has it on them all. In the last game of the season he was probably our best player - in...
  37. Old Bulldog

How good was that?

This year may be too far gone, but what an inspiration for our prospects in 2009. All the young guys played very well, with a special mention for Arana "Tomato" and John Kite. But Heka Nanai also showed glimpses of real prospect, and SBW will only get better (though hard to imagine). On top of...
  38. Old Bulldog

If we can finish the season strongly ...

And I don't just mean wins, but putting in like we did last week against the Bunnies. If we can finish on a positive note I am supremely confident that 2009 will be the start of something wonderful. There is so much light at the end of the tunnel that I'm sure it isn't a train but a sign of...
  39. Old Bulldog

The Kennel seems to have lost its value

I don't know whether worthwhile threads are simply being censored or contributors have dropped off ... but there seems little that is constructive in addressing our current problems being published (as they were in the past). The most important thing in the world is the truth. And to deny...
  40. Old Bulldog

Unacceptable

I know we had a number of key players out. But the team performance was below the standard of any team that has been in a similar situation. If we rely upon certain players to put in a reasonable performance, we are poorly coached. Steve Folkes should step down immediately with apologies.
  41. Old Bulldog

Attention Ben Barba

Ben, Just wanted to give you a little advice, courtesy of my years on this earth and decades of following the Dogs after a short playing stint many beers ago. I was disappointed to read last week that you said you'd like to play 1st grade this year. Because if that was truly your ambition...
  42. Old Bulldog

Same old song

I know I've been on about this for the last two and a bit years, but it's still true unfortunately. FITNESS, or a lack of it, is a major problem. We simply aren't as fit as most other teams in the comp. You could see it clearly yesterday when both 1st grade and the Toyota Cup sides fell away in...
  43. Old Bulldog

Fitness

I've been talking about our fitness problem for 3 seasons now. But the majority of the morons on this site simply refuse to acknowledge the problem. It was highlighted by Phil Gould tonight just after half time. It's a real issue and needs to be addressed immediately. Denial is but a river in Egypt.
  44. Old Bulldog

Lack of attacking potence

Just listening to Warren Ryan on ABC radio prior to the game and he has a real problem with the fact that SBW is our top try scorer this season. He said that it means that we either lack speed in the backs or that our halves aren't setting things up as they should. He certainly has a point.
  45. Old Bulldog

The Basics

I couldn't believe how many balls we dropped last night simply because players lifted their heads just before attempting to catch the ball. And poor passes from dummy-half are caused by the same thing - the dummy half lifts his head as he is about to pass the ball (take note Corey Hughes)...
  46. Old Bulldog

Andy Patmore

This guy's record as a coach is incredible. I wonder if the club has plans for him, or whether he will be targeted by opposition clubs.
  47. Old Bulldog

Fatigue still a factor

I would have thought that fitness would have been a major issue given last year's succession of second-half capitulations. And I expected it to be an issue on these forums this week given the game against Melbourne. When the team is put under real, quality pressure, they only handle it for...
  48. Old Bulldog

Where are the lower grade teams?

The Bulldogs are getting slower and slower at releasing their lower grade sides via the website.
  49. Old Bulldog

Leon Bott

Seems a very strange signing to me, considering the talent we already have on the flanks and centres throughout all grades. Is it possible they saw him converting to a number 9? That is the only thing that makes sense to me.
  50. Old Bulldog

Another hooker for 08

My sources tell me that a deal has been done for Stuart Flanagan from the Wests Tigers to join the Bulldogs in 08. Any confirmation would be appreciated.
  51. Old Bulldog

The NRL need to wake up

I think it's really sad that forums like this, and much of the media coverage of the game, has to do with what's happening NEXT year. We aren't even half way through season 2007 and all the talk is about who will play for whom in 2008. It's a total distraction from the games being played right...
  52. Old Bulldog

STAMPED: Never to be selected again ....

1. Trent Cutler on the wing in 1st grade. 2. Daniel Holdsworth in the forwards. Apart from that the side needs to go back to an under 10's training session. The thing about training kids is that you need to keep going over the basics of the game - tackling techniques and passing the ball...
  53. Old Bulldog

To all you Sherwin fanatics ...

You have to be kidding. And this is not a Sherwin -v- Roberts thing. Neither of them are good enough for the standard required. Not to mention the lack of talent we have in the No. 9. This is going to have to be a year to forget.
  54. Old Bulldog

And where is Nathan Wynn?

Any info would be appreciated.
  55. Old Bulldog

The future Shreks

Interesting to note that two of our most promising young props are coming off the bench in Jersey Flegg. I refer to John Kite and Tamatai Nathan of course. I'm wondering if it's a long-term policy of graduating them ever so slowly and not burning them out too early. If so, would seem to make...
  56. Old Bulldog

Nathan Wynn

Just wondering if someone can tell me how long he is out injured. He's been our most promising young back in the early rounds.
  57. Old Bulldog

Daniel Irvive

After closely watching all games for the first two rounds of season 2007, it's obvious to me that the role of the No. 9 has become increasingly vital. Almost all sides boast a very good dummy half, with a few boasting outstanding players in that position. Except the Bulldogs of course. To me...
  58. Old Bulldog

The Whore brothers

Today isn't really a test for the club, or even all the clubs. It's a test of Sonny's maturity. Having met him, he is very shy and lacks personal confidence. He is not at all assertive or arrogant, and is perhaps even a little naive. That is why the likes of Gavin Whore have been able to gain...
  59. Old Bulldog

Why is the off-season so bloody long?

Every year we are told that the season is too long for the players. Well I want to make it clear on behalf of all the die-hard fans of the game, and particularly the Bulldogs: The off-season is FAR too long. Fair dinkum, how much more tennis and cricket can a man take? We want a real game -...
  60. Old Bulldog

The only weak link in 07

It looks as though we have all positions but the much-discussed No. 9 covered for next season, with class backing up class in all other jerseys. I'm not even worried about the props for next year. I think Big Willie will move up one spot in the scrum and we have back-rowers galore to choose...
  61. Old Bulldog

Things we need to change in '07

1. The half-time speech. It's obviously not working. 2. The other alternative is that we petition the NRL to scrap half-time altogether. 3. Or,even better, have the games reduced to 40 minuntes. 4. Seriously, our conditioning. Clearly we aren't fit enough. All those games where we played with...
  62. Old Bulldog

Keep Kouparitsas

I though Nick was one our more impressive players against the Panthers and would like to see him rewarded with a spot on the bench for the first final.
  63. Old Bulldog

Aim up or say goodbye

I've been around long enough to see patterns that seem to apply season after season. And four (4) that stand out each year are the following ... 1. The team with the most confidence and self-belief wins the competition. 2. This is almost always demonstrated by that team that has built...
  64. Old Bulldog

Where's Jarrad Hickey?

Just wondering if Utai Slam could update us on the situation with Jarrad Hickey. I think his availability may be important to us in the coming weeks and I noticed he is not included in PL this week. He was placed on report last week against the Dragons in PL before coming off second best after...
  65. Old Bulldog

Nate says goodbye ... to QLD jersey

I just loved Big Willie's article in the Australian today. He, like me, feels that Nate Myles has made the wrong decision. He had to opportunity to complete his apprentiship with a great club, and with great players that facilitate the complete development of his potential. I agree with Willie...
  66. Old Bulldog

Where are all the quality no. 6's?

It seems almost every team is desperately looking for a quality 5/8th these days. And I wondering why. NSW can't seem to find one. QLD have had to manufacture theirs. And only Melbourne have an established one in any sort of form. They used to almost abundant, with the likes of Brett Kenny...
  67. Old Bulldog

Jamie Judge

Can someone tell me if he's injured again this week??? Also, does anyone know if the club has made him an offer for next year???
  68. Old Bulldog

Intelligence

Objective, intelligent analysis is what I am sure so many readers are looking for here - but are discouraged by what is presented by a group of young people without wisdom nor depth. It's a shame, because the club could do with a little quiet contemplation.
  69. Old Bulldog

They've lost me

After tonight, not only 1st grade but the others, I can't put my heart and soul into this club any more. We've had a problem since the beginning of last year and it is not beinng addressed. I not only won't go to another game, I'm just not interested. One good performance (last week) and they...
  70. Old Bulldog

Interview with Baa on 2KY

I just heard a great interview with the mighty Terry Lamb in which he detailed his role as "skills coach" of the halves. He is fairly impressed with Daniel Holdsworth but said that, in his opinion, if he doesn't work out Reni Matuai is the next best option (he said he's looking awesome). He's...
  71. Old Bulldog

Why can't we win in 2006?

I see various "pundits" are tipping us to finish anywhere from 4th to 9th this year. Given the personnel we have at our disposal, surely we only need luck with injuries to be THE major threat to whomever for the title itself. We have the players, we have the coach, we have the administration...
  72. Old Bulldog

Have we got the spirit?

NZ's win over Australia last weekend once again proved that a good team will always beat a team of good players. I think the Tigers proved it in in this year's premiership. And, similarly, the Panthers in 2003. The answer seems as simple as attitude and team spirit, and what sort of...
  73. Old Bulldog

Brett Oliver???

Hi, Can anyone enlighten me on where Brett Oliver will be next year?