Aim up or say goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been around long enough to see patterns that seem to apply season after season. And four (4) that stand out each year are the following ...

1. The team with the most confidence and self-belief wins the competition.

2. This is almost always demonstrated by that team that has built momentum in the latter part of the season that comes to be what seems like an unstoppable run.

3. A team that has built that but then stumbles near the end can almost always kiss their premiership prospects goodbye. And it is in this stumble that significant injuries often occur.

4. The team that can keep it's top team on the field for the latter stages of the season and right through the semis has the best chance of winning the premiership.

If you were to look at the competition objectively at the moment, you would have to say that the first 2 criteria are best met by Parramatta and Melbourne, with the Eels being out in front.

Unfortunately the Bulldogs fulfill the negative criteria of number 3 perfectly. Because they had locked up 2nd place on the ladder (it seems), they dropped their intensity, failed to show the committment in defene that has been their recent strength, completely lost their speed off the line in defence that has so frustrated and intimidated their opponents, and suffered injuries that seem like bad luck but are so often incurred when a team drops ints physical intensity.

If we lose two of our most potent and influential players for the year (Asotasi and Tonga) it will mean that we have been able to complete the requirements of criteria 4. And, if history is a guide, it will diminish our chances of taking the title enormously.

Hopefully we have the mental capacity to overcome the hurdles. It will take a mighty effort, believe me. This may be Folksie's biggest ever challenge.

And hopefully next year, if we find ourselves similarly placed come this stage of the season, we will determine to continue to build in intensity even if we have a top 2 spot tied up. It's the key to the front door of the premiership.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In '04 we lost two very potent players at the time in Price and Lolesi. Seems like DeJa Vu if you ask me. We still mamaged to overcome this and came away with the title.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Agreed Bandit.... 100% Agreed, and I believe our boys are determined not to allow 2005 happen again, and so will go out and fire up and get us as far as we can go... :grinning:

I don't think we are done or dusted at all just yet or for a long time to come... :D :D

BumAcid

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post.....BUT, we had one loss. More of a wake up call then a time to start worrying about "not aiming up." I'm sure the boys will fire up against Manly and the world will return to normal....:grinning:

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Relax, the boys are so confident they are just throwing a couple of games to trick the TAB into inflating their odds......

...then BAM! they're all going to plunge big cash on themselves Andrew Johns style.

I hope.

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Manly game will certainly showcase the attitude of the team

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think some people need to relax about this loss and injuries.

whippet_hound

HOT DOG
Reaction score
the Dogs will be fine this weekend, losing Asotasi and Tonga isnt going to cripple the team, sure maybe losing a bit of punch in defence and attack but there are others more than able to step up!

Wolfpac

4 Life
Reaction score
lets just wait and see the extent of the injuries before we jump up and down saying we got nothing!

2004 we got smashed 35 - 0 to the rooters and went on to win
we lost our leader and easily our best player and still went on to kick some @$$

take it a week at a time, lets see how we go against eagles this weekend.

Bulldogs50

Justin..
Reaction score
price didnt miss as many games as asotasi is going to.. asotasi's loss is alot bigger than prices!

its going to be hard. but i still think we can get close

midas

Kennel Established
Reaction score
momentum is very important, as are a lack of injuries... but they are not always decisive... in '04 the Dogs had won 10 in a row then lost to the Storm in round 24 and then after 2 big wins against the Knights and Warriors in the last 2 rounds again stumbled against the Cowboys in the 1st week of the finals... added to this, Lolesi go injured after building up some very good form, as did Scott and Price

but then again, the 'Dogs are usually the team that goes against the trend

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
We will have Mason for the finals. He is the key. With him on the field, we will win the comp.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Wasn't the 35-0 belting to the rooters in round 3 or something? I hardly think we can compare that to 30-0 to the Broncs in round 24. Plenty of time to turn things around after round 3.

Not that I think we can't turn it around, it's just a pointless comparison just because the scores are similar.

M

Mickboon2

We can still win the comp but I tend to agree with old dog that we will struglle now. We have been playing average football and winning. Its time to step up.

04 PREMIERS

Waterboy
Reaction score
i remember in 2004 people saying the dogs will never win the grand final if pricey didnt play and we won it. again this year people are saying the dogs cant win it without asotasi, even though confidence may have dropped a little, i still think we are capable of winning the premiership.

M

Mickboon2

04 PREMIERS said:
i remember in 2004 people saying the dogs will never win the grand final if pricey didnt play and we won it. again this year people are saying the dogs cant win it without asotasi, even though confidence may have dropped a little, i still think we are capable of winning the premiership.
Its a different situation. Price was lost in the Semi Final, Roy is losted in round 24. Plus we had better depth back then.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bandit said:
In '04 we lost two very potent players at the time in Price and Lolesi. Seems like DeJa Vu if you ask me. We still mamaged to overcome this and came away with the title.
We had alot better depth in 04 than now!... harris came in for lolesi had thurston on the bench etc.... Tonga is a very important in attack if you compare his attacking ability to Emilio ... this time is alot worse considering its tonga

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
G-Dog I think you are being just a tad pessamistic, oh and stop spending time with Mickboon the 2nd coming, he will just make you look stupid... ;)

Look at the bench we can still put on without Asotasi and with SBW making good in the centres...

Myles, Morrin, Hickey, Hughes

Now that is a very decent bench... I would have that and I reckon it could win us a final if needed, but it will definitely be good enough if we play 100% to get to the final.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Titanium Doggie said:
G-Dog I think you are being just a tad pessamistic, oh and stop spending time with Mickboon the 2nd coming, he will just make you look stupid... ;)

Look at the bench we can still put on without Asotasi and with SBW making good in the centres...

Myles, Morrin, Hickey, Hughes

Now that is a very decent bench... I would have that and I reckon it could win us a final if needed, but it will definitely be good enough if we play 100% to get to the final.
Who is this mickboon... seems to have polarised himself....
Actually I am alot less pessamistic now because just found out Hickey is not injured like some other fool had said...
Actually with SBW into the centres Our backs are just as good as before and with Hickey on the bench things still good...
Only dampner now is Mason out coz I think this weeks game is now crucial for confidence and restoring team morale considering the nil score and injuries from last week... nothing could be better than beating team ranked 3 (manly)...

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It seems it would have beeen just toooo perfect having a pack like
Omeley, Asotasi, Grimaldi, Mason, Ryan, Maitua.... with Myles, SBW, Armit/Hickey, Hughes on the bench... this has to be the best ever forward pack I have ever seen - better pack than 04 except Prices passing ability and his ability to play 80mins was INCREDIBLE for a prop

Status
Not open for further replies.