News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So you are disputing the documents Topines legal team lodged with the court?

What do you know that his lawyers don't?

Just because he didn't know why he was late at the time, it has obviously been accepted by his legal team that he was late.
Me. Already said I don't know anything different from what everyone else does. So you've seen the actual statement of claim or just taking the Australians word for it? You know - Murdochs Australian.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Me. Already said I don't know anything different from what everyone else does. So you've seen the actual statement of claim or just taking the Australians word for it? You know - Murdochs Australian.
No your right

A direct quote from court documents MUST be a lie.

So why hasn't his legal team come out to dispute it and correct the record?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Strapping is a professional sporting term for preparation.
we used to call prep, strapping when I was a swimmer, and no one was being strapped.
Yet when I was playing cricket, strapping and warm ups were separate things and you weren't required to be strapping (we called it med prep) if you were good to go.

Pretty sure neither of our experiences are relevant for this.

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Someone mentioned on social media to remove his player number from the history books. I'm all for it . Put an * next to the number and remove this imposter from the history of the club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Quoting from court documents, The Australian reported:

" Topine’s legal team says he was a mere “eight to ten minutes late” for the wrestling session, having misread the day’s training schedule. The player actually thought he was arriving 20 minutes early. "

Thanks @wendog33

The Daily Mail reports:

"Ex-Bulldogs star Jackson Topine has hit the NRL club with a bombshell $4million lawsuit alleging he was assaulted by up to 35 of his teammates and was deprived of his liberty during a brutal punishment handed out in July last year."

A FG squad holds 30 players and we all know what our injury toll was last year. Where did we find 35 players to wrestle?
This really is outrageous to accuse his teammates like this. Necessarily they will all have to appear as witnesses in his court case against the club?

The Daily Mail reports:

"Ex-Bulldogs star Jackson Topine has hit the NRL club with a bombshell $4million lawsuit alleging he was assaulted by up to 35 of his teammates and was deprived of his liberty during a brutal punishment handed out in July last year."

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
No your right

A direct quote from court documents MUST be a lie.
well this is from the Guardian.

According to the statement of claim filed in the New South Wales supreme court, Topine alleges that in response to being “approximately eight to 10 minutes” late, he was singled out for an additional, unscheduled session after the conclusion of the wrestling set out in the players’ training schedule.

According to the statement of claim, Topine did not know he was late, misinterpreting the schedule listing of “Arrive/strapping 8am” then “Wrestle 8.30am”.

He claims he was ready at 8.30am and completed the scheduled wrestling session at 10am, before he was instructed to wrestle others Bulldogs players.

So - how in the same claim can you be 8-10 mins late for wrestling but also be ready at 830? So who exactly is directly quoting the claim?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I can't see it going to trial either. How does a f..king court decide what's a fair and not fair level of punishment for any athlete in any sport at any level. Who decides where you draw the line.
It’s a civil law suit - of course a court (more specifically a magistrate) can pass judgement. They would take expert submissions on various topics such as commercial realities into the likelihood of career tenure and future earnings as well as consider damages based on emotional issues, lost income etc. Nothing about it is black and white and it’s not a perfect system but comparing it to something you’ve seen on TV is irrelevant. So it’s entirely achievable - but the reason I said I doubt it will make it to trial is not because an outcome isn’t possible but because I think many underestimate the path to get there - both applicants and respondents. It’s expensive and if Jackson has mental health concerns it’s also emotionally taxing and his legal advice should be strongly considering that reality. If no settlement is possible (as appears to have been the case up to now) - both parties will be guided into mediation and if that doesn’t work, conciliation - which is the last step before a final hearing. That could take 18 months or more. The club will have greater resources than Jackson, so prolonging the matter would only be in the lawyers interests. I’d imagine some deal will be brokered with confidential terms not too far down the line. Even though the Bulldogs have elected to defend the matter (and rightly so if they believe they have done no wrong) - throwing good money after bad just to prove a point rarely ends with any satisfaction. Both parties are better off to find a way to end it and move on from each other.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Strapping is to prevent injuries. If you don't need strapping, then what are you there for?

Are you part of the inner circle and know how it works? Same with you @belmore_utd . I'm not. Just making the case that, if someone said to me we're at training for goal kicking training at 8 then wrestling at 830 and I don't goal kick and I'm not explicitly told I have to be there, then I'm showing prior to 830. Which he apparently did. He didn't need strapping so same same in my book.

Now in all fairness - from a reddit I know of that does have some inside connections - this was floating around in August last year.

It wasn’t Cameron Ciraldo who prescribed the now infamous “wrestle” penalty that caused such a storm this week.

Ciraldo has worn much of the flak after revelations a Bulldogs player took indefinite leave after being lined up to wrestle his teammates as punishment for being late to training, but the coach has not backed away from his aim of setting high standards at the club.

The Bulldogs have established a rule about punctuality under Ciraldo. It’s simple: if you are late, ring or text the coach or the footy manager. If you don’t have a good reason, turn around and go home.

There had been a couple of punctuality issues earlier in the season and when the player in question arrived late for an off-site wrestling session, it was felt this was the time to take a stand.

Trainer Travis Touma initially wanted to send the player home. He can’t be blamed for what took place. He consulted two senior players, who felt that course of action was unfair and that he should have to complete the gruelling wrestling session like everyone else. So it was decided the player should take part in the session, then complete an extra penalty afterwards.

If a player is late for a running session, the penalty is usually extra runs. If it’s a gym session, the penalty might be extra gym work. This was a wrestling session. So the player was asked to complete extra wrestling. To the best of my knowledge, it lasted for just over four minutes. One by one, there were 24 players, who had very quick wrestles, on their knees, with the player. Each individual wrestle lasted between five and 10 seconds. The player was spent after the session. It’s exhausting work. It’s supposed to be. Afterwards, he was sitting against a wall near the wrestle mats, smiling because he had completed the task.

He wasn’t broken, bruised or bleeding. He kept training with the side for the rest of the week and did not miss a session. His mental health issues, which were not known then, were triggered by external reaction to his punishment.

As for talk some players were upset with the punishment, that would seem to be a falsehood. Two weeks after the session that led to the player taking leave, Braidon Burns called a wrestle session penalty on himself, as a punishment. Burns said he didn’t find it as hard as some pre-season tackle sessions.

The young man’s mental health issues should be taken seriously. Some of the reporting on this matter should not be. One newshound was trying to blame Canterbury’s culture for Payne Haas not coming to the club. He was never even close to joining the Dogs. Agendas are creeping in, and it’s part of an ongoing campaign against the club – or against some of the individuals therein.

So I'll say this again. I don't know the ins and outs of what happened. What I do know is based on the statement of claim, if proven, the Dogs have some questions to answer to. Proven is the key here - not what nrl360 says or the telecrap or whatever says. Could also make an argument that Knight got a light penalty because his missus would paste the club on Sunday footy - like who needs Candice Warner 2.0. Any basis for that? Nah - but we can all go into conspiracy theories.
Not reading all that in response to my post which was simply -he was fucking late.

Arrival FORWARD SLASH strapping ... should have been there at 7.50

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
well this is from the Guardian.

According to the statement of claim filed in the New South Wales supreme court, Topine alleges that in response to being “approximately eight to 10 minutes” late, he was singled out for an additional, unscheduled session after the conclusion of the wrestling set out in the players’ training schedule.

According to the statement of claim, Topine did not know he was late, misinterpreting the schedule listing of “Arrive/strapping 8am” then “Wrestle 8.30am”.

He claims he was ready at 8.30am and completed the scheduled wrestling session at 10am, before he was instructed to wrestle others Bulldogs players.

So - how in the same claim can you be 8-10 mins late for wrestling but also be ready at 830? So who exactly is directly quoting the claim?
So he didn't realise he was late but was actually late because he misinterpreted the schedule.

Bottom line, he was late.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Not reading all that in response to my post which was simply -he was fucking late.

So was Knight. And he got his hair dyed. You think they are the same? Or do you need to have a GF hosting the Sunday show to dodge a real punishment?

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yet when I was playing cricket, strapping and warm ups were separate things and you weren't required to be strapping (we called it med prep) if you were good to go.

Pretty sure neither of our experiences are relevant for this.
Agree.
but I’m pretty sure Jackson knows the protocol at the club he’s played at for 6 years.
This narrative that he was unsure is ridiculous.
I’ve been responsible for multiple incident investigations in my career and almost always, the responsible parties claim confusion and try to muddy the waters.
He’s not a fkn idiot, he knew the rules.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So he didn't realise he was late but was actually late because he misinterpreted the schedule.

Bottom line, he was late.
But u said he was late to wrestling because the court documents said so as quoted by the Australian and therefore I was wrong. :innocent:

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
So was Knight. And he got his hair dyed. You think they are the same? Or do you need to have a GF hosting the Sunday show to dodge a real punishment?
You accuse others of not knowing the ins and outs and then you insinuate Knight received special treatment when you dont know that.

Possibly Topine was a repeat offender. I'm not going to pretend to know.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

They don’t even have to be there on time, they just have to call if they’re running late.
there’s no excuse.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Agree.
but I’m pretty sure Jackson knows the protocol at the club he’s played at for 6 years.
This narrative that he was unsure is ridiculous.
I’ve been responsible for multiple incident investigations in my career and almost always, the responsible parties claim confusion and try to muddy the waters.
He’s not a fkn idiot, he knew the rules.
That might be the case. He could be a soft cck thats looking for a payday. Or he could have been screwed over big time in that training session, especially when he could have apparently got his hair dyed.

All I'm saying is:
1) their appears enough here for a court case. If not - then why were parties negotiating until Feb this year (its in the news) about this. And it appears that after 6 months some equal ground couldn't be found then there is definitely some meat in the sandwich.
2) everyone agrees that the kids has something mental going on now. Whether that was prior or after, doesn't matter imv. I'll just let the courts work it out and not pile on a kid who's career is gone (whether self inflicted or not).

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
You accuse others of not knowing the ins and outs and then you insinuate Knight received special treatment when you dont know that.

Possibly Topine was a repeat offender. I'm not going to pretend to know.
Yep - thats my point. You can all insinuate up to your eyeballs but the moment I do I get called for it? Are we not on even playing fields here?

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But u said he was late to wrestling because the court documents said so as quoted by the Australian and therefore I was wrong. :innocent:
I'm confused why you're so upset about this.

He may not have thought he was late. But the people who set the rules said he was late. Simple.

They are run paramilitary like. And for good reason. that's what the organisation needs for peak performance and discipline on the field.

If I'm late for stretches at my BJJ class (15mins before actual class). I have to wrestle non stop for 8minutes after the class.

The bloke is just grabbing at money because his career is over. Lacks dignity, honor and respect

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am thinking his lawyer will be dragging up other things, that happened behind closed doors. And it won't be pretty.