Momentum changers.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There easily could be, firstly it depends on the odds, these days that's all of the odds and where the big money is placed. Starting with the score line and where the betts fell. For example if a lot of people picked Chooks 13+ at poor odds then it may well be more profitable if that happens. Conversely if the odds were hugely inflated for us to win by 13+ and there were some large betts then it may well be more profitable if we win by less than 12.

Unless we know the betting trends it's impossible to work out what result is more profitable.

Always a Bulldog
Determining the result would be too obvious, but things like first penalty, try scorers and infringements are possible to rort.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok we got a messy win and all. I not long watched it on you tube. Obviously we were incredible in the first half absolutely crap in the second. But when momentum changes that much I am very suspicious. I was curious about the dispensation of 6 again calls through the game. So I noted them down.

Nothing was too one sided until we got to 20 points. From then til the end of the first half they got 3 repeat sets on the 4th to get them off their own line.

Second half
There was a 6th minute penalty from the scrum close to the roosters line, from which they got to start the set from the 30m line. Shit defence let them score their first. We had the momentum until this point. We finished sets deep in their end.

8th minute- head slam penalty on Suallii who's head didn't come in contact with the fucking ground as far as I saw watching the replay of it three times. At least the prick sat out for the HIA.

9th minute. 4th tackle repeat set for ruck infringement that was called before the tackle was completed.

9th minute. A second repeat set on the fourth which lead to the 11th minute try.

The roosters had momentum from there and scored in the 15th, 16th and 19th minute.

We snatched our next try after 23 minutes. For the first time in ages we got enough ball to hit their 20m line and got the bomb up. Smith threw a forward pass and we got one shot in good field position which Burton scored from.

We got just the one penalty from the time we hit 20 points unless I missed something. We got zero repeat sets that I noted either. So 55 or so minutes of the game where the roosters were perfectly disciplined and we were constantly making ruck infringements I didn't see.

So it was a really shit half of football. But the chooks were getting leg ups to get them out of their end from the point we were 20 in front. It continued until they hit 20 points. We got one penalty in that same period, no repeat sets (verse 2 penalties and 5 repeat sets in the fourth tackle). Were probably just lucky the turd let up a bit from the 23rd minute.

In the end it's allowing me to feel a bit better about the win. If I were the club I'd still be asking for an explanation from Annesley. I don't think the turnaround was incredible work from the Roosters. They capitalised on the calls, but the timing of those penalties and 6 again calls was very much what got them in field posession to score 20 points IMO.

Pisses me off a bit. But we still fucking won so I'm proud of the boys. Looks less like a massive capitulation when you see the pattern of how the games turned around via refs calls. If we can beat quality rosters when they're getting these type of calls, we're looking better than I thought.
I agree with you, I did the same and watched it again and fir sure it was not the rorters doing well to come back but receiving possession unfairly and the ref starving our boys off the ball. proud of our boys and they will get better

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it would be hard to determine the outcome of a game, but certainly things like first penalty, try, goal are possible to tweak.
To be honest the first thing that locked suspicion about referee integrity into my mind was a period where the refs were pretty much inviting every team to chase a goal for first points. A friend made a decent amount of money by backing the goal kickers to score first points. It seems like a lot of people were catching on to that as they used Tandy as a scapegoat there.

But if you give one team a legion with penalties and repeat sets late in the tackle count it goes a bloody long way to shutting out the opponent.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Kitione Kautoga coming on killed a bit of momentum.. the boys were in sync and he put in a couple of really lazy efforts given how fresh he would have been... there's a good player there but I'm hoping he got a rev up.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club fought the Hughes tackle and lost. This was a tackle where he didn’t hit him high, the arms weren’t pinned and the head didn’t hit the ground. There’s a hundred or more tackles that fit these criteria every game yet because it looked like a head slam, they pinged him. It helped the Rorters get momentum in the game as well.

there was only $500 between the early plea and found guilty at the judiciary, legal costs would’ve exceeded this even if found not guilty so it seems the club was trying to prove a point. And it seems the judiciary didn’t appreciate this so found him guilty.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The club fought the Hughes tackle and lost. This was a tackle where he didn’t hit him high, the arms weren’t pinned and the head didn’t hit the ground. There’s a hundred or more tackles that fit these criteria every game yet because it looked like a head slam, they pinged him. It helped the Rorters get momentum in the game as well.

there was only $500 between the early plea and found guilty at the judiciary, legal costs would’ve exceeded this even if found not guilty so it seems the club was trying to prove a point. And it seems the judiciary didn’t appreciate this so found him guilty.
If the club wanted to prove a point (presumably with legal advice) then the club should pick up the fine.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't think many were under the illusion that the fine would be thrown out...but it was great that the club supported Hughes and therefore our new found defensive resolve. It was a completely one off type tackle and no doubt the forward coaches will be reviewing the technique to comply with the MRC fault finding. (Pffft). Anyway we move on.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
All I know is that 2nd half would've buried us in years gone by but we weathered the storm hung in there and did enough to get home. End of the day all the history books will say is Bulldogs 30 Roosters 26.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Last year we almost let Tigers beat us after being up by a motza and we all know how the season ended. Starts this week showing some fight regardless of the result to prove we are different