Opinion Blake Taffee

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He would join some notable players who were unmercifully bagged. Thompson, Reynolds, Tolman, Hutchison, Knight, Perham, and a lot more.
Although they may not be top level players, they were the best we had at the time.
JMK, Elliot. Maybe Utility was correct in defending them.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing is, Critta sets a good standard and whoever the other centre is would want to match or outperform, we're seeing this with Kiraz, my point is, he's almost benefiting 2 positions crucial for defence, 2 areas we were weak last season, defence around the edges.
He would join some notable players who were unmercifully bagged. Thompson, Reynolds, Tolman, Hutchison, Knight, Perham, and a lot more.
Although they may not be top level players, they were the best we had at the time.
It's just typical of the kennel. Some would be critical if we lifted the trophy.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things are sorting themselves out - guys have worked extremely hard to earn their spots. It is lunacy to chop and change teams around as they build combinations, not to mention the effect on morale/player confidence.

Taafe will need to be a lot better to hold his spot as we move through the season, however other variables exist, like injuries, suspensions and the form of other guys.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Things are sorting themselves out - guys have worked extremely hard to earn their spots. It is lunacy to chop and change teams around as they build combinations, not to mention the effect on morale/player confidence.

Taafe will need to be a lot better to hold his spot as we move through the season, however other variables exist, like injuries, suspensions and the form of other guys.
Originally I would've selected a slightly different team, but CC is the coach, who am I ?
I maintain that CC must have a reasons for his selections even thought I started to have doubts after two rounds , I agree that he had to stick with his selected team in order to form combination confidence and stability.
I'm still not fully convinced with Taaffe and Hutchison until they prove themselves against real and better oppositions,
not only the struggling Gold Coast...I wish them the best !

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JMK, Elliot. Maybe Utility was correct in defending them.
I can get behind defending players. If the coaching staff think they're deserving of a spot, we as fans only see certain things on game day. The staff would scrutinise every players performance. Even comparing what fans here say about one player can be miles apart on any given day.

Utility half just cops the crap he does because he doesn't just support the maligned players, he elevates them to champion status and barrages the biggest naysayers with positive posts about the guys they despise. I liked Elliott as a player. He wasn't perfect, but he was a goer for us. We could benefit from having him this year. JMK was a huge upgrade on Lichaa, but still wasn't the player that'd pick the best option as often as top tier hookers, but he did have some great games for us.

As far as Taaffe is concerned. We've seen him tear at least one team a new asshole last year when he played fullback against us. Despite what his detractors are saying, his support play is great, and should get better as he picks up on tells that his team mates are looking to pass.

If he gets moved for Tracey, I'll support Tracey and look for things he does well. I completely understand that some will have a rant after a game if someone's just been useless. But keeping it going for three weeks like some have just takes away a person's ability to see any good they do.

Taaffe isn't perfect, but he's got some good attributes and hopefully in a few weeks he's justified his selection by getting up to standard with the areas he's copping flak about today. Rant if you must but move on afterwards. It's a new team, players have won their chances in the positions they're in. But we've got huge competition for spots in reserve grade if they fall short.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can get behind defending players. If the coaching staff think they're deserving of a spot, we as fans only see certain things on game day. The staff would scrutinise every players performance. Even comparing what fans here say about one player can be miles apart on any given day.

Utility half just cops the crap he does because he doesn't just support the maligned players, he elevates them to champion status and barrages the biggest naysayers with positive posts about the guys they despise. I liked Elliott as a player. He wasn't perfect, but he was a goer for us. We could benefit from having him this year. JMK was a huge upgrade on Lichaa, but still wasn't the player that'd pick the best option as often as top tier hookers, but he did have some great games for us.

As far as Taaffe is concerned. We've seen him tear at least one team a new asshole last year when he played fullback against us. Despite what his detractors are saying, his support play is great, and should get better as he picks up on tells that his team mates are looking to pass.

If he gets moved for Tracey, I'll support Tracey and look for things he does well. I completely understand that some will have a rant after a game if someone's just been useless. But keeping it going for three weeks like some have just takes away a person's ability to see any good they do.

Taaffe isn't perfect, but he's got some good attributes and hopefully in a few weeks he's justified his selection by getting up to standard with the areas he's copping flak about today. Rant if you must but move on afterwards. It's a new team, players have won their chances in the positions they're in. But we've got huge competition for spots in reserve grade if they fall short.
Well said Alan, good post.
If Taaffe were to be replaced by Tracey I'd be the same as you but I wouldn't have expected it after a win and an improved(but by no means great)performance by him.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good post

Taaffe whilst not the superstar everyone on the TK wants to have has impressed me. With his footy IQ and ability to read the game.

Watching the first few games this season, yes he is a bit heart in mouth when the ball goes high. However his contribution in defence from his verbal instructions to the defensive line is great. He seems to have a great mind for reading the attack coming. His verbal and instructions for mine is an unexpected benefit.

I still would love to see him get a some time in the 7 role.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Taaffe is a massive upgrade on dayze and eenie meaney.
Taaffe would've impressed in preseason training, isn't that what CC had based his team's selections on ?
We can't forget that we are in the process of forming combinations and we all know it was never going to be easy, therefore like it or not we need to be patient with everyone, to a point ! :grinning:

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he played well today but i still have huge concerns of him under the high ball, hes managed to drop one every week so far, thinking of him competing vs Mitchell for a high one next week makes me feel nervous. For me, id be bringing Fox in, Tracey to fullback, he on the other hand looked real solid under the high ball and returned it well. As i said Taafe was good today and im so happy with the win, i just worry about these errors vs better sides, we still arent a side that can just cough up easy ball.
Give him time bro it’s only round 4. He will get better.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Got nothing really. I'd prefer Critta at fullback.