Our Forward Pack

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Coming into the season most if not all questioned our lack of size and potential forward. I read countless concerns about us being constantly overpowered and ultimately steamrolled by bigger packs.

How would you say we've done so far though?

My concern has never really been about the size too much, but the defensive structures and it seems as though defensively we're really working together and towards our strengths?

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Theyve done better than expected. We still need better damaging props to compete with the better teams eventually but I'm just happy we are actually competing. All 3 games we've been in the contest with the first 2 getting away from us late

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Our pack is hitting way above its weight, they will probably struggle the deeper we get into the season, we will need our OBs to take up a lot of slack. If we can stay competitive for the whole season it’s all I can ask for. Just going to enjoy the wins when they come.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our pack is hitting way above its weight, they will probably struggle the deeper we get into the season, we will need our OBs to take up a lot of slack. If we can stay competitive for the whole season it’s all I can ask for. Just going to enjoy the wins when they come.
Would you attribute this to the structure they're playing with tho? That we're compensating for this lack of size other ways?

Doggfather

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What the Bulldogs did well was kick early and into space so their big forwards struggled to get back onside in the sun.

Reed Mahoney kicked well We need to do this every game against bigger packs.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say Mahoney probably had his best game in our jersey tonight
It is fair to say yes! As Doggfather said .. he kicked early and it put the Tits under alot of pressure , especially Boyd…. He got no time an was completely swamped. Great team effort, what we’ve missed.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Punching above their weight so far. The better packs will give us alot of trouble especially once fatigue and injuries start adding up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Coming into the season most if not all questioned our lack of size and potential forward. I read countless concerns about us being constantly overpowered and ultimately steamrolled by bigger packs.

How would you say we've done so far though?

My concern has never really been about the size too much, but the defensive structures and it seems as though defensively we're really working together and towards our strengths?

Hard to say our pack got monstered by Parra, Played against the sharks while they had royce hunt and hamlin uele out 2 players that we have struggled to contain over the last couple of years. Handeld the titans pack well though theyre badly missing david fifi but tino looked bog avg today great job containing him. (People underestimate how much damage burtons long kicking game did to the titans pack today they dont have match fitness yet and he kept turning them around. Hopefully Hughes comes out of his shell and starts damaging the line abit more with his runs over the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bashed the Titans in sadly what was one of the worst performances by a modern rugby league team. Destroyed in other two games. 3/10

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
You can see when team play through the middle we tire towards the end of games. Titans for some reason decided rather than go through us they would go around us. It was a silly game plan. Our backline is better than the Titans one. There forward pack on the other hand.

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kikau is running more meters than any other forward we have. We were lucky titans are powderpuffs. King will be best suited off the bench. I feel the first 15 mins takes a lot out of him. I’m sure he’ll still make his 100m and 30 tackles coming on after 20. If we can get to the stage where we have a Ryan Tandy or Vaughan type starter. Big body, bit of leg drive and quick play the balls. No frills but 130m and 30-35 tackles a game. That would lay the platform for king, Curran and Hughes to come in and be a bit more damaging (especially king with his offloads).

Doubt cirro would emcourage his offload or pass before the line in the first 10 mins of a game.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The attitude and intent is there and we have lacked that previously, the rest will come in time.
I think we have the 7th best defence, which is surprising. If we weren’t gassed the first 2 games we probably keep it a bit tighter and maybe even win the sharks game. But the drop ball and tackles unfortunately has our defence under constant pressure.

But you are right. We definitely have better intent and intensity on defence. Where last year it was only there for 5 mins. We seems to buy in much more now.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think we have the 7th best defence, which is surprising. If we weren’t gassed the first 2 games we probably keep it a bit tighter and maybe even win the sharks game. But the drop ball and tackles unfortunately has our defence under constant pressure.

But you are right. We definitely have better intent and intensity on defence. Where last year it was only there for 5 mins. We seems to buy in much more now.
spot on, yesterdays effort can only help us going forward with confidence and buying into our own potential.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Would you attribute this to the structure they're playing with tho? That we're compensating for this lack of size other ways?
Yep our defensive attitude and energy is light years ahead of last year because we have players that have bought in and can achieve what Ciraldo is implementing

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is fair to say yes! As Doggfather said .. he kicked early and it put the Tits under alot of pressure , especially Boyd…. He got no time an was completely swamped. Great team effort, what we’ve missed.
Kickau frightened Boyd. He panicked every time he got the ball on the fifth tackle.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

And we can build on that as the team settles in.

Same for out attack. Still a bit rusty, but showing good signs.