News NRL drops referee

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Isn't the bunker ref our on field ref this week?..

It's unbelievable.
All part of the plan I'd say.. In to the baptism of fire as a punishment plus a chance to redeem himself.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I reckon the refs will compensate and be overly generous with penalties against our opponent titans this week. If we don’t win, we are absolutely crap
I think nothing will change, we got fucked over last year endlessly... See no reason why they would become lenient now.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There were undoubtedly some poor calls on the night.

But I’m going to focus on 2 things that need fixing.
1. Higher completion rate. Very important at any time but even more so in early season games which can often be in warmer conditions. We can’t compete with well under 50% of possession. Too much pressure on our defence which inevitably will crack.
2. When a poor call happens, don’t drop their heads. It is clearly evident that the attitude of the boys changes negatively. Concentrate on getting the ball back by hitting harder in defence and creating a turnover.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
There were undoubtedly some poor calls on the night.

But I’m going to focus on 2 things that need fixing.
1. Higher completion rate. Very important at any time but even more so in early season games which can often be in warmer conditions. We can’t compete with well under 50% of possession. Too much pressure on our defence which inevitably will crack.
2. When a poor call happens, don’t drop their heads. It is clearly evident that the attitude of the boys changes negatively. Concentrate on getting the ball back by hitting harder in defence and creating a turnover.
Foran, Fermor, Kelly, AKP will destroy us if Hutchinson, Kiraz and Wilson don't learn how to defend together... 17 missed tackles between them all v Sharks, not good enough.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I got a laugh out of that. It could pan out that way.

We all talk about the 2015 game, but one that was nearly as bad was the one by Cummins. He called out JJ for the compulsory too many penalties chat, forgot completely that JJ was in the centres after Mbye went off injured. Didn’t give him time to get back into position, Souths moved the ball to where he should have been and scored. JJ Complained to him and all he could say “sorry I didn’t realise”.

Refs do make mistakes, I made plenty in my time, but when they constantly go against one team in a game, then what are fans going to think
I get the shits about the fact that some people seem to think being more prone to jump to conclusions based on ladder position isn't pure bullshit. Or confirmation bias as I've heard it called. This idea that a better team will get better decisions some put forward as being ok.

Just because a team is low on the ladder doesn't mean they're going to inherently be poorly disciplined and for refs to supposedly lean that way in what should be 50/50 calls is bullshit. Bias of any kind is wrong from people who are meant to be impartial and fans who try to justify it get on my nerves.

I know we've copped it hard off the refs for a long time. But I stopped watching other games because I generally see shit calls going one way whenever I watch any game. I can't walk away from following the club. But I barely follow the sport anymore. Just have no faith in the impartiality of the game and suspect it's corrupt from very high levels.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I get the shits about the fact that some people seem to think being more prone to jump to conclusions based on ladder position isn't pure bullshit. Or confirmation bias as I've heard it called. This idea that a better team will get better decisions some put forward as being ok.

Just because a team is low on the ladder doesn't mean they're going to inherently be poorly disciplined and for refs to supposedly lean that way in what should be 50/50 calls is bullshit. Bias of any kind is wrong from people who are meant to be impartial and fans who try to justify it get on my nerves.

I know we've copped it hard off the refs for a long time. But I stopped watching other games because I generally see shit calls going one way whenever I watch any game. I can't walk away from following the club. But I barely follow the sport anymore. Just have no faith in the impartiality of the game and suspect it's corrupt from very high levels.
God post Alan,

Every game has 50/50 calls, for things like:-
1. Was the ball lost in the tackle or stripped?
2. The ball goes dead. Was it by the attacking side, or did the defender knock it out at the last minute. Or did an attacking player push the defender into a Position where he touches ball.
3. Ball kicked by an attacking side. A defender is rushing up in defence, and the ball hits him. Did he play at it?

All these calls can be 50/50, if they all go one teams way, it is almost certain they will win the game, because it Can lead to a greater share of possession.

Every now and then at my Golf Course I run into Wade Graham. He knows who I support, as I have a Bulldogs golf bag. He believes that at present whoever plays best gets the rub of the green.

Our problems with referees can’t be allowed to continue. There are correct channels to go through. Hope CC and the club got a fair hearing from Maxwell and co this week. Am I confident. Not 100% sure, because I think greater forces are in play, higher up the food chain,

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And what was different from the NRL video? You think 'I don't believe' and 'I'm sure' are the same thing? And where does the NRL say Ziggy got the punt because of that decision? Or are we now taking the Telecraps opinion as gospel.

It was the bunker that actually made that decision. Did they get dropped? No? You sure you don't want a piece of this Harbour Bridge action? Going cheap....
Haha,
This never gets boring
This is your special ability and you do it so well.

Lex

Waterboy
Reaction score
And there were even a few on here defending the ‘No Try’ decision! Here is a case where the refs are literally making up the rules. It would be like the video ref all calling a pass forward. Shocking stuff from all involved. I know that there is a confirmation bias here, but this kind of ‘one of a kind’ decision has happened to us a lot over the years…

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I admire your stubbornness bro but the Kikz try was a clear ref fuck up not sure why you are so adamant and wrong
It was a clear ref fck up. The ref should never have been there. My kid refs and they get hammered on ref positioning all the time. But the ruling wasn't. Old mate made that clear in his presser. And the fact the bunker did get nixed (who's decision it was) is further proof.

So I'll give ya a hypothetical. If Hughes doesn't barrel over a ref the following day, you think Analsley would have had the same position? Knowing how the rules seem to be interpreted differently on any given day as we've all seen for years? Reckon this was a statement to the rest of the comp you will not be allowed to do it.

So if we both agree the ref fcked up - does this mean you are wrong too? Welcome to the club :tearsofjoy:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whether it’s a deliberate premeditated choice or a subconscious decision made on the fly by referees. The 50/50 calls will always be at least 70/30 to the better team.

If the team expected to win does win. The talk of any bad calls made against the lesser team post match is much less than if the favourite team loses because of a bad call. When the team expected to win gets the points. The narrative after the game when talking about a bad decision against the lesser team is always. It wouldn’t have changed the result “
This shits me. The whole momentum of the game shifts on every decision. And may have very well effected the outcome.

the other issue is the game is run with the backing of bookmakers. You cannot tell me that is a good look.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It was a clear ref fck up. The ref should never have been there. My kid refs and they get hammered on ref positioning all the time. But the ruling wasn't. Old mate made that clear in his presser. And the fact the bunker did get nixed (who's decision it was) is further proof.

So I'll give ya a hypothetical. If Hughes doesn't barrel over a ref the following day, you think Analsley would have had the same position? Knowing how the rules seem to be interpreted differently on any given day as we've all seen for years? Reckon this was a statement to the rest of the comp you will not be allowed to do it.

So if we both agree the ref fcked up - does this mean you are wrong too? Welcome to the club :tearsofjoy:
Haha, stop it lol
I'm at work, trying to get work done and this is in the back of my mind distracting me from my work.
I keep coming on checking to see if you still
Fighting this position.

Literally thought you would have conceded by now.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If it's good enough to penalise players, why doesnt the same rule apply to the officials?

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the only one I can remember, too. I seem to recall how most of the media personalities cried foul.

I have a feeling that we are due for another game of poor refereeing when we face the Bunnies for their usual "Black Friday" payback game for the charge down on Reynolds by James Graham.
The one I remember was game against St George with a few minutes to go Patten made a break passed it Idress who scored under the posts which would have won us the game but Jamie Sowed realizing he could not catch Idress deliberately backed into Patten and the ref - Clark called it as a no try obstruction ,it was plain as day for all to see on the replay even the commentators at the time were saying it was definitely a wrong decision , well Clark got dropped and Annesley again gave us a public apology but again we were duped and again it cost us 2 competition points, I think we have had mor public apologies than any other team in the history of the NRL,

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The one I remember was game against St George with a few minutes to go Patten made a break passed it Idress who scored under the posts which would have won us the game but Jamie Sowed realizing he could not catch Idress deliberately backed into Patten and the ref - Clark called it as a no try obstruction ,it was plain as day for all to see on the replay even the commentators at the time were saying it was definitely a wrong decision , well Clark got dropped and Annesley again gave us a public apology but again we were duped and again it cost us 2 competition points, I think we have had mor public apologies than any other team in the history of the NRL,
Was it the year before we got the spoon and this match would have won us the minor premership? also which would have been the first time a team went from spoon to minor premiers .. actually makes sense if it was.

Or am I getting it messed up with a different dragons game that cost us the mp.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I got a laugh out of that. It could pan out that way.

We all talk about the 2015 game, but one that was nearly as bad was the one by Cummins. He called out JJ for the compulsory too many penalties chat, forgot completely that JJ was in the centres after Mbye went off injured. Didn’t give him time to get back into position, Souths moved the ball to where he should have been and scored. JJ Complained to him and all he could say “sorry I didn’t realise”.

Refs do make mistakes, I made plenty in my time, but when they constantly go against one team in a game, then what are fans going to think
Yes! That one would make top 5 bullsh!t moments for us for sure!!