News Half chance: Hutchison finally gets first shot at No.7 jersey

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to see Hutch continue this team’s stupidity. He’s not Robinson Crusoe out there but how many times does he take a standard hit up on the 5th? He doesn’t step, hole run or dummy, just straight into the defence leaving us with one available half (Bored Burton thinking about all the cash he’s raking in) on the last.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The thought actually crossed my mind if we are so big on utilities as an advantage why couldn't Taaffe have swapped with Hutchinson and put Critta to fullback and Hutch in the centres to try something different. Thats our advantage and we should use these options if things are not going to plan. I remember when Hasler used Reynolds like this and it turned games around.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Who was better today, Hutch or Burton?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone calling for Sexton over hutch obviously didn’t watch reggies today. While he’s a more creative half than Hutch in attack his defence is diabolical and with the pack we have we can’t afford to carry anyone defensively. If sexton plays FG today we lose that game by 40 plus it’s that simple.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Defence is the reason for sure. Sexton whilst not a world beater is the better option in almost every other aspect.

I guess CC has to make this call based on our defensive atrocities from last season.

Burton is also a big body also but defensively deficient. I think Sexton misses out on the account of not being able to carry two halves that cannot tackle which is unfortunate.

Sexton offers more with the ball though. Without size and go forward in the middle. Our playmakers are going to struggle to create points.

Having a total left side kicking dominance is also going to make it critical sets are finishing in the right area of the field. With Burto, Hutch & Critta all lefties. Taaffe might have to be used as a right foot kicking option.

I hope it all works out. Most importantly I hope if it isn’t working. CC recognises quickly and make the adjustments required. Before the season slips away.
If defence is the issue play Sexton and move Kikau to the right edge outside him and protect him. Preston better on left anyways.
Good coaches know how to do this. Eg Bennett getting Beau Scott to protect Soward.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone calling for Sexton over hutch obviously didn’t watch reggies today. While he’s a more creative half than Hutch in attack his defence is diabolical and with the pack we have we can’t afford to carry anyone defensively. If sexton plays FG today we lose that game by 40 plus it’s that simple.
We've got the Sharks next week, so 40 plus is coming anyway.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Do you think Hutchinson would have fixed our defence in reserve grade ? I think the game plays out the same way will defence being optional by both sides

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Sexton leaked at least 4 try’s individually in Reggie’s hutch saved one and didn’t leak any you do the math
Nah no way, plenty of times you could see shit lazy forwards not working from marker, causing Sexton to have to mark his own man plus try project his inside shoulder.
The break straight through Sexton on halfway was a terrible miss yes, but the rest weren't his fault.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah no way, plenty of times you could see shit lazy forwards not working from marker, causing Sexton to have to mark his own man plus try project his inside shoulder.
The break straight through Sexton on halfway was a terrible miss yes, but the rest weren't his fault.
Yeah I don’t agree with that but so be it.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t agree with that but so be it.
We don't agree on alot of HB stuff like Jake Clifford for example lol. It's all good though, place would be boring without different opinions

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We don't agree on alot of HB stuff like Jake Clifford for example lol. It's all good though, place would be boring without different opinions
100% bro that’s what it’s all about. I might not agree with you but I respect your opinion

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Thought sexton would start the season tbh but hopefully Hutchison can show why he was chosen
He won’t. He is a 5/8 playing half back. Coach thought he would bring experience except he requires much better players outside him. Kill this now. Run with sexton and see how that plays out.

other thoughts. Xerri needs to replace Kiraz. Kiraz is as good as he will ever be.

Taffe is terrible. Unfortunately it will take and least 4-5 before papalii should be thrown into the team to see what he has. It all starts now.

we still don’t have the forwards. We don’t need to win the battle. But it would be nice to break even.