News Hooper: D-Day looms for Pay as Dogs to decide coach’s fate in next 48 hours

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think two things can be true in our case we have a mediocre playing roster and a mediocre coach. You should have to earn a contract extension and IMO Pay hasn’t earned one.
I truly believe no one would of "earned" a contract extension coaching our roster. That's from what the majority of fans expected anyways (not me, you and everyone know my thoughts in regards to that). Even if we bring in Barrett next year he'll look better just because we'll actually have a competitive roster. This is why it's unfair on Pay because it makes him look shit. The Knights at least gave Nathan Brown one year with a competitive roster. We're the "family club" and we're just going to throw someone who took on a suicide mission to the curb for a sideways swap in coaches.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think two things can be true in our case we have a mediocre playing roster and a mediocre coach. You should have to earn a contract extension and IMO Pay hasn’t earned one.
I get that, but why throw in another failed head coach in Barrett then? My view is that the club was working towards 2022 when there are more/better coaching options available but the pressure of the media noise and poor on-field results may be forcing the club to act sooner. If it goes that way I can’t wait for carnage on TK calling for Barrett’s head if he delivers the same set of results as he did at the Beagles.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I truly believe no one would of earned a contract extension coaching our roster. Even if we bring in Barrett next year he'll look better just because we'll actually have a competitive roster. This is why it's unfair on Pay because it makes him look shit.
I disagree I think a different coach could have done more and I’m not talking specifically about wins/losses. Even if you want to look at it solely on results he’s had hollow end of season wins that haven’t given a true indication of how those teams performed. Pay didn’t have to do much to get a extension just get players improving but the vast majority had stagnated or regressed.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As bad as Dean is and he is bad, Barrett is another disaster who is arguably worse. He coached DCE , both Trobojovic brothers and still came 15th, so you really think he is going to make this disaster team any better?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
As bad as Dean is and he is bad, Barrett is another disaster who is arguably worse. He coached DCE , both Trobojovic brothers and still came 15th, so you really think he is going to make this disaster team any better?
We need to remember we'll be adding 3m worth of talent so the team will automatically be better in 2021. It'll be closer to the roster that Barrett coached to 15th anyways.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Im with you horse but in all honesty it is extremely evident Pay does not have the tactical nous to be a head coach.

There have been glimpses of a good footy team but wihtout a doubt Pay has lost games on the back of some stupid decisions.
Plus he has ZERO pull when it comes to attracting talent to the club.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh its a tough gig no doubt not including the circumstances but he has definitely made it tougher for himself.

Stupid decision, how about the latest one... Starting Katoa underdone instead of bringing him on later in either half? That is ridiculously stupid.

He has done a massive job by getting the boys up every week but his team selections and use of the bench displays major weaknesses in his role.
Massive hypothetical. Drawing a very long bow to say that starting Katoa over JMK was a key reason to why we lost. I’d argue it had zero impact on the result. Again, I think the errors and general weaknesses of our players played a far greater hand in the result.

If we’re gonna have both JMK and and Katoa in the 17 then I’d be starting with the bigger bodied Katoa to weather the opening stanza anyway. Allows the sharper JMK to come on and be more of an attacking threat against some tired legs.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the only reason barret would be ok is if he brings a few Penrith guns with him

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened again last night as did against the Sharks and Tigers:

DWZ dropped ball -> Ponies try next set
Tols dropped ball -> Ponies try next set

20 more missed tackles than the Ponies.

Basic errors at crucial times costly.
I just can’t pin that all on the coach.

Pay might not be our long term future but a Barrett band-aid isn’t either in my view.
Definitely not all on the coach but every team makes basic errors at crucial times.

Broncos had 5 more errors than us and we received 2 more penalties. Their defence has been shithouse and they were able to defend their errors.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I truly believe no one would of "earned" a contract extension coaching our roster. That's from what the majority of fans expected anyways (not me, you and everyone know my thoughts in regards to that). Even if we bring in Barrett next year he'll look better just because we'll actually have a competitive roster. This is why it's unfair on Pay because it makes him look shit. The Knights at least gave Nathan Brown one year with a competitive roster. We're the "family club" and we're just going to throw someone who took on a suicide mission to the curb for a sideways swap in coaches.
I understand exactly what you are saying mate but its the team selections, we are playing a winger at fullback, JMK was a halfback who has been made a 9, Tolman is starting for us still when To’omaga is better. He is even giving Holland some game time and he is honestly the worst bulldogs players I have ever seen, I gave Dean until this year to succeed but some of his decisions are so confusing and to be fair, a good head coach surely can implement good defensive plays and attacking sets, we get caught out every week by a kick in behind because our winger rushes up, its so amateur and predictable. Theres no point in changing if Barrett is the next coach because he is a very poor coach, but we need a coach with more experience to sort out this inexperienced side and bring in the correct players.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get that, but why throw in another failed head coach in Barrett then? My view is that the club was working towards 2022 when there are more/better coaching options available but the pressure of the media noise and poor on-field results may be forcing the club to act sooner. If it goes that way I can’t wait for carnage on TK calling for Barrett’s head if he delivers the same set of results as he did at the Beagles.
I guess that’s a different question I’m not sold on Barrett either it’s a huge risk. The club have to do something though they can’t let results like last night continue to happen as regularly as they are. If this all ends up happening at least there will be some certainty but with all those coaching options coming up next year who knows how long the certainty lasts if Barrett doesn’t fire.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still think he will see the year out, not much to be gained by immediate sacking.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the only reason barret would be ok is if he brings a few Penrith guns with him
I think the only reason Barrett was coming to us would be ok if it was trying him as an assistant coach.

But as a gun coach to turn us around and spend the cap we have had to wait 3 years for??

Fuck no

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still think he will see the year out, not much to be gained by immediate sacking.
It’s probably more Pays decision now. I think the club will let him coach out his deal but he might want to walk.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can’t be rational with certain posters on here with the shit they spew honestly, our club is hanging by a thread and still don’t see the problem

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett is a huge roll of the dice I’m not convinced he is the man to lead us out of this mess. I think having a experienced assistant with him is vital and I really hope he brings one in if he joins the club. There’s little doubt Pay has to go though and it’s the right call you can’t keep having performances like last night every couple of weeks.
But why not someone like wane or Griffith?

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to remember we'll be adding 3m worth of talent so the team will automatically be better in 2021. It'll be closer to the roster that Barrett coached to 15th anyways.
True mate, will he add the right quality though? Im a big fan of Cotric, but its been an issue for years how desperately we need halfbacks, a fullback and a 9, they need to be the positions we throw money at, not lots of money at a winger to play centre. As i said below, i want Dean to succeed and I know he has a terrible roster here but some of his team selections and attacking/ defensive plays are shocking and cant be defended regardless id his roster