News Canterbury Bulldogs coach Dean Pay facing axe ahead of St George Illawarra Dragons clash

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate we got a green tick from the jockey as well!!!!! That’s going straight to the pool room!
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

That’s awesome, have to cherish those ones, and would look epic in the pool room Maroon 8-)

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL has opened the door for Shane Flanagan to return in a head coach role as soon as this season, putting further pressure on St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor’s job.

As it stands Flanagan, who is a Dragons assistant coach, isn’t eligible for a head coach role until the end of next season.

But rather than put a line through a return before then, The Daily Telegraph can reveal the NRL would consider the merit of an application made by the Dragons, or any other club, to appoint Flanagan as a head coach.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/c6d1635f318b4113ff9eae8a74e99398
WOWWWWW didn't see that coming...:tongueclosed:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not from me mate, I would put my support on hold till the c*** left..
Interesting baz members who have made comments like the regarding the current coach have been labeled as not true fans!! What’s your take?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not for the first time, Dean Pay’s head is on the chopping block at Canterbury – with the under-pressure coach facing the end after Sunday’s dismal defeat to Manly, unless he can pull off a miracle.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay faces being dethroned on the Queen’s Birthday if his players can’t conjure a win this weekend.

Influential figures at Canterbury, including large chunks of the 1200 football club members who vote on board elections at AGMs, are becoming agitated after three successive losses to start the year.

Pay is off contract following this season and the pressure on him will significantly increase if the Bulldogs can’t beat fellow strugglers St George Illawarra at Bankwest Stadium on Monday.

Phones were running hot among powerful figures at Canterbury after Sunday’s 32-6 loss to Manly at Central Coast Stadium.

While an appetite for change is growing, it is unanimously accepted at Belmore that Pay is coaching an inferior roster.

Canterbury’s board would be reluctant to sack Pay mid-season, even if results don’t improve. Instead, they would just not re-sign him for next season.

It is understood directors want a final decision on Pay’s future no later than round 10.

If the Bulldogs don’t beat the Dragons, they will meet reigning premiers the Sydney Roosters the following week facing a 0-5 start to the season and Pay would be firmly in the crosshairs of football club members and fans.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under the same pressure as Pay to keep his job, so one of them is going to be under more scrutiny at full-time on Monday afternoon.

Former Sharks premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan and ex-Bulldogs champion Phil Gould have been mentioned as possible recruits.

Canterbury would need to lobby Peter V’landys for a reduction in Flanagan’s NRL-imposed suspension, which doesn’t end until after next season.

Gould, who played and coached at Belmore, could be an option as a coaching director.

In one week, Canterbury have drifted from $201 to $301 with the TAB to win the premiership. That puts them rank outsiders alongside Gold Coast in the betting.

It is understood Pay’s future has not been formally discussed by the board but chairperson Lynne Anderson and CEO Andrew Hill did not return calls on Monday to clarify the situation.

Pay has been frustrated by the Bulldogs’ inability to find suitable players to fill positions at fullback, wing, centre, the halves and hooker.

“It’s been a tough few years for Dean,” three-time Canterbury premiership winner David Gillespie said.

“Canterbury’s roster simply hasn’t been able to compete with the top sides. You can’t throw all the blame on the coach. I’d give him more time to build the roster.

“Dean is a good coach and I know he works his backside off and deserves success. I hope it comes this year.”

Another former Bulldogs champion, Michael Hagan, agreed.

“I always liked how Dean played and I like the way he goes about things,” Hagan said.

The liked and respected Pay was signed by the previous board and last year the present board extended his tenure by a season.

Canterbury haven’t won a premiership since 1995 and have not reached the finals for the past three seasons.

While fans aren’t blaming Pay for previous failures, they are becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of success.

he Bulldogs have some serious money to spend on players for next season and remain in contention to sign Canberra forward John Bateman.

Fellow Englishman Luke Thompson has signed a three-year deal with the club from next year.

The TAB had Canterbury as $1.85 favourites yesterday to beat the Dragons ($1.95).

The Bulldogs will welcome back the experienced Kieran Foran from injury for the vital match but are still reeling from the losses of Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera, who were deregistered in March for off-field misbehaviour.

After Canterbury made just one linebreak against Manly on Sunday, Pay said: “We need to be better next week.

“We’re not building any pressure. We all need to be doing a better job than we’re doing.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/954b806297d8e31454c175c10f7e1b53
So, if I read this article correctly; Dean Pay is under threat of being sacked this weekend - and also that that he isn't.

And it seems we've had our 2004 GF win taken off us.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interesting baz members who have made comments like the regarding the current coach have been labeled as not true fans!! What’s your take?
Hahaha.. Listen you old cogger, I'm an old fisherman as well and I am not taken that shitty bait.

I am as loyal as they come but also have values, and Flannagan doesn't meet any of them.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahaha.. Listen you old cogger, I'm an old fisherman as well and I am not taken that shitty bait.

I am as loyal as they come but also have values, and Flannagan doesn't meet any of them.
Pretty good cast though eh? Lol

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And it’s been posted a thousand times that Flanagan is ineligible to be a head coach anywhere prior to 2022 under his current conditional return. Simple stuff...
forget Flanagan he's is Mary's replacement

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How wasn’t he sacked for last season. Just to put shit into perspective. The last time we missed 3 semis in a row was around ww2 I think when our players went to fight in a world war. What’s dean gays reason? He doesn’t want the kids to get injured? Or get dehydrated lol. The fraud has no dignity or self respect, he should have voluntarily resigned if he truly loved the bulldogs

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
So, if I read this article correctly; Dean Pay is under threat of being sacked this weekend - and also that that he isn't.

yup - maybe our 2004 premiership died with Covid-19 for sure.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

No reply from the top means it’s normal Telecrap made up bullshit, using TK as a source.

BTW, you obviously didn’t get the memo: Uncle Nick changed the NRL records, apparently the Rorters won 2004...Bobcat missed the tackle and Crocker scored at the end...

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pays a nice guy but hes way out of his depth as head coach he has to go

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
7121467A-2749-4CC4-A843-731EADB812CE.jpeg
Don't forget Lewis' extension.
The blind Freddie’s on here actually think the salary cap can be used as excuse when he’s had new players signed every year. The reality is the players they bought from reserve grade haven’t proven to be worth the money.
Apart from CHN could we have passed on all of the players above and used people within the club who would have been cheaper?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
View attachment 15082
The blind Freddie’s on here actually think the salary cap can be used as excuse when he’s had new players signed every year. The reality is the players they bought from reserve grade haven’t proven to be worth the money.
Apart from CHN could we have passed on all of the players above and used people within the club who would have been cheaper?
NO MORE EXCUSES

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watching NRL360 last night and they interviewed Michael McGuire, listening to him talk about the game and strategies for players was good. I honestly think Dean Pay is not capable of that. He is old school which is great, our board is trying to be old school which worked for us in the 80s.......Bulldogs DNA, Nice speeches before games, family club.................. i would rather see Dean Pay absolutely spraying the players at half time, slamming doors, throwing bottles. Players being held accountable. Being nice and old school is going to cost Dean pay his job because we are no hope of beating the dragons this week