2020 recruitment

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1st time post! I believe what all are saying has some real value in purchasing going forward. In my opinion the first thing we need is one possible 2 big meter gainers. We lack big meters. Our future looks bright with the young ones identified. But to nurture them on coming through they need opportunity but once there a plat form going forward, the big go forwards gained will hopefully have some Mongrel in them and that will give the every opportunity to thrive and grow. looking at the successful clubs they have a pack with combinations of skill and big meter gainers that love aggression. With skilful fast spines. Big wingers who are powerful
We buy in the write areas not just buy because we can. And we will be back where we should been before des and co sold the farm and went back to manly
My thoughts only. Sorry about grammar.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sign Stephen Crichton immediately to play left centre and goal kick! Serious backline

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Crichton
4. Hoppa
5. R Smith

He would be cheaper than JAC. If we can get Cotric then he goes to 4.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Sign Stephen Crichton immediately to play left centre and goal kick! Serious backline

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. Crichton
4. Hoppa
5. R Smith

He would be cheaper than JAC. If we can get Cotric then he goes to 4.
Off contract end of 2021, will be hard to pry off Panthers, I'd say he will be replacing Whare before his current deal expires

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Off contract end of 2021, will be hard to pry off Panthers, I'd say he will be replacing Whare before his current deal expires
Bulldogs sign Dean Whare :kissingheart:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bulldogs sign Dean Whare :kissingheart:
I know your joking but he actually is a great defender and has soft hands just not as good as Hoppa. In a team that has a gun spine he's valuable, sadly that ain't us.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we are not spending our cap this year? Must have around 1 mill with CHN & Okunbor getting sacked. We need something these players we have right now are headed for the spoon.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So we are not spending our cap this year? Must have around 1 mill with CHN & Okunbor getting sacked. We need something these players we have right now are headed for the spoon.
Plus we had a spare roster spot before those two got sacked!

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1 Averillo
2 DWZ
3 Crichton/Aitken (ideally Crichton but Aitken would be a good pickup)
4 Hoppa
5 Meaney (they can fight for it but at present I'm sticking with Meaney, Reimis' attitude is shit)
6 Foran
7 Wakeham

8 Thompson
9 Friend/Roache/Watson (anyone)
10 Welch/Ryan James
11 Jackson
12 Tapine
13 Elliott

14 Lewis/JMK
15 Napa
16 Renouf
17 Topine/Doorey

This team requires us to sign at least 4 more players being one of the hookers mentioned, Welch or James, Tapine and Crichton/Aitken.

You can't tell me we cant afford that if we get rid of Tolman, Sue, Holland, Montoya, Cogger and potentially some others that are off contract in 2021 (if anyone wants them) as well as resign Foran for two years on half of what he is on (that would give us 600k).

The Topine/Doorey selection is definitely debatable but from what I have seen from Britt, Stimson, Ogden and Chris Smith, I don't see them being anymore than an average NRL player.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1 Averillo
2 DWZ
3 Crichton/Aitken (ideally Crichton but Aitken would be a good pickup)
4 Hoppa
5 Meaney (they can fight for it but at present I'm sticking with Meaney, Reimis' attitude is shit)
6 Foran
7 Wakeham

8 Thompson
9 Friend/Roache/Watson (anyone)
10 Welch/Ryan James
11 Jackson
12 Tapine
13 Elliott

14 Lewis/JMK
15 Napa
16 Renouf
17 Topine/Doorey

This team requires us to sign at least 4 more players being one of the hookers mentioned, Welch or James, Tapine and Crichton/Aitken.

You can't tell me we cant afford that if we get rid of Tolman, Sue, Holland, Montoya, Cogger and potentially some others that are off contract in 2021 (if anyone wants them) as well as resign Foran for two years on half of what he is on (that would give us 600k).

The Topine/Doorey selection is definitely debatable but from what I have seen from Britt, Stimson, Ogden and Chris Smith, I don't see them being anymore than an average NRL player.
That team isn't going to be much better than what we currently have. We have a lot more salary cap space to use than that as well.

Chris Smith underrated like Elliott. Good bench player.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That team isn't going to be much better than what we currently have. We have a lot more salary cap space to use than that as well.

Chris Smith underrated like Elliott. Good bench player.
I think that would improve us dramatically but possibly not make us a top 4 side. Good to know we have more cap space than that.

I guess I was considering players off contract in 2020 but if we have more in the cap to entice players to break contracts, I'm all for it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think that would improve us dramatically but possibly not make us a top 4 side. Good to know we have more cap space than that.

I guess I was considering players off contract in 2020 but if we have more in the cap to entice players to break contracts, I'm all for it.
I think we have to be aggressive towards contracted players, especially if we want to recruit in the spine areas. It's very common these days anyways. Like people have said before, find out who has Moses as their manager.

Our first goal is to be a top eight team. I think realistically we're not going to be talking about top four or winning a premiership until at least 2024. Hopefully we get recruitment right and we can see growth and improvement every year. When we have a better roster we'll be a more attractive place to coach too (hello Flanagan).

I like using Knights as an e.g. they were in a worse position than us performance wise in 2017 and look at the roster they've been able to build. It's very possible. They also sacked their placeholder/rebuild coach after he failed to meet expectations last year (basically when they had "the roster").

Last edited:

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think we have to be aggressive towards contracted players, especially if we want to recruit in the spine areas. It's very common these days anyways. Like people have said before, find out who has Moses as their manager.

Our first goal is to be a top eight team. I think realistically we're not going to be talking about top four or winning a premiership until at least 2024. Hopefully we get recruitment right and we can see growth and improvement every year. When we have a better roster we'll be a more attractive place to coach too (hello Flanagan).

I like using Knights as an e.g. they were in a worse position than us performance wise in 2017 and look at the roster they've been able to build. It's very possible. They also sacked their placeholder/rebuild coach after he failed to meet expectations last year (basically when they had "the roster").
Yeah definitely... I think if you are comparing us to the Knights, Pay wouldn't be as impactful as Brown for someone wanting to leave their contract and go to a team that is "rebuilding". I think for 2ish years initially, Anthony Griffin is our man. The father-like figure approach that Pay brings isn't getting the best out of the players. Some are taking the piss and from a head coach, you need someone with a no bullshit mentality. He can't continue defending poor decision making at the end of sets, lack of execution and the ability to switch off in games with "they're trying their best". Its not good enough!

I am not as sold on Flanagan as everyone else appears to be. There is no doubt he is resilient and a decent technical footy coach, I think it'll bring too much drama.

Anyways back on recruitment, I think leadership is crucial from Lynne Anderson and Andrew Hill. They were able to deliver with Luke Thompson but we are still a long way away.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah definitely... I think if you are comparing us to the Knights, Pay wouldn't be as impactful as Brown for someone wanting to leave their contract and go to a team that is "rebuilding". I think for 2ish years initially, Anthony Griffin is our man. The father-like figure approach that Pay brings isn't getting the best out of the players. Some are taking the piss and from a head coach, you need someone with a no bullshit mentality. He can't continue defending poor decision making at the end of sets, lack of execution and the ability to switch off in games with "they're trying their best". Its not good enough!

I am not as sold on Flanagan as everyone else appears to be. There is no doubt he is resilient and a decent technical footy coach, I think it'll bring too much drama.

Anyways back on recruitment, I think leadership is crucial from Lynne Anderson and Andrew Hill. They were able to deliver with Luke Thompson but we are still a long way away.
I’m with you in the anti-Flanagan camp. Don’t think it’ll be an issue anyway - he’s being lined up to coach the Steelers once he’s allowed to be head coach and once Mary is gone. The problem for them is Mary is unlikely to last until the end of 2021.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m with you in the anti-Flanagan camp. Don’t think it’ll be an issue anyway - he’s being lined up to coach the Steelers once he’s allowed to be head coach and once Mary is gone. The problem for them is Mary is unlikely to last until the end of 2021.
The only problem with not getting Flanagan (I get why you don't want him) is it's hard to see another good candidate (top coach) on the horizon. Bellemy's not realistic.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

I don't think Pay has lost the dressing room quite yet. Last weeks performance showed some bad signs tho. If Pay does lose the dressing room he's finished. Griffin is a good shout, I just don't see him as a long term option either.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The only problem with not getting Flanagan (I get why you don't want him) is it's hard to see another good candidate (top coach) on the horizon. Bellemy's not realistic.
I agree Bellamy is highly unlikely.
Doubt it would be a rookie again after Kevvie and Deano so somewhere in between that and a ‘super’ coach. Not sure about Hook either - very decent coach but was known to get people offside. Even though he’s not on the board anymore, Opes knows him from early in his coaching career. They must be considering options for the longer term regardless.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Timothy Winitana & Heka Nanai re-introduced to patrol and dominate our left edge.
Winitana would probably still go better than remis.
It would be a close one between Crichton and nanai though