News Brandon Wakeham will start in the halves for Canterbury in their season opener against Parramatta

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's there because Pay wants a utility and apparently thinks Holland can play hooker lol.
You are correct that Pay wants a utility on the bench.

I would rather start Holland at left centre, and push Remis back to the wing where he belongs.

Would throw in young Averillo on the bench as the kid can pretty much cover 1-7, who has alot of zip about him

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holland doesn't have the physical attributes of someone like Reimus, but he has some awareness in his play, and on previous occasions when he has come on as dummy half in the second half he has added energy, given the opposition something else to keep an eye on.

That of itself is not good enough reason for him to be on the bench. But there are two reasons that are good reason, and they really point to his role on the squad. He has gone ok coming on off the bench in the past, and did so in the trial as well, and with DWZ and Meaney coming back from injury, you'd really be taking a gamble if you didn't have some sort of option on the bench in case either of them had a problem. This tells us Holland is a backup/utility player in the squad. He is not on big money, he does have a bit of NRL experience now, he fits the bill until someone better shows up.
He has good ball handling skills. He knows how to pop an offload away or to be on the receiving end of offloads. I think holland is a handy player.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't mind katoa on the bench, nor do i mind Holland on the bench, but you can't have both of them on the same bench.. surely everyone agrees with that..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham has got his chance, game one will be a very good test for him, and I hope he KILLS it as well as all the other boys.. another huge year for DWZ and all the kiwi connections :smiley::smiley: to the rest I haven’t named, it’s going to be ALLGOOD.

4 days until another 6 months of league.!! So close.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
He doesnt look 94-95kgs. He is a speed bump in defence and not an x factor type player that will break a game open.
Im sure hes a good bloke but in all honesty I believe he belongs back at Singleton Greyhounds. Good on him for cracking the NRL.
Who is the ex factor that can crack a game open? Whoever you think it is is well hidden and trust me when you check the stats Holland is far from being the speed hump in the team.Lucky for him that you were never a selector or he may well be back at Singleton.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't mind katoa on the bench, nor do i mind Holland on the bench, but you can't have both of them on the same bench.. surely everyone agrees with that..
Don’t think that will ever happen,Katoa in Reggie’s this week.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's not take any of this as certainty. No coach would show their side so early to allow the opposition to work on their tactics.

Hoping Wakeman is truth though.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sure the DT story was alluding to Holland instead of Katoa, but agree, surely not both. Katoa blew his chance in the Canberra trial with some poor handling and selfish Nu Brown type plays. As for Holland, he's about as good as it gets for a third dummy half in our squad and if JMK can't play 80 and Katoa's not playing, playing Holland makes sense. Not a great option but about the best we've got for that situation. We could play Averillo instead of Holland but not sure who goes to hooker - probably safer to play Holland in Rd1 though with JMK coming back from injury (or even if he doesn't and Katoa plays).

The rest of the story would be good if true.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Cogger a better player then Holland? Yes. But Holland is a lot more versatile in the positions he can cover. So it does kind of make sense.
i do agree hes a lot better cover for injuries but if there is no injuries to a backline player and your looking for someone to come on at 9 i just dont think holland is well suited to dummy. There is definately a trend of having an outside back on the bench lately though. lets hope he goes well if picked there. to be fair he had a few decent games in 2018 off the bench

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now jake av in for lewis, put young bondi on the bench as your utility and give them a season and see what they have.
No future in lewis, cogger, holland or foran. Isnt that obvious.
Hoppa still needs to go back to fullback off attack set starts why dallin plays most the time there in general play.
Then fix another 4 or 5 shuffles of players back into there proper positions. And my faith in what where doing looks sharper than the slow crap where been dishing up for 5 years now.
We ain't winning no comp. so teach these natural attacking kids how to tackle first graders, sooner the better imo.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If holland gets the bench spot and katoa doesn’t get one, why sign him in the first place?

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Should be Cogger and Wakeham and piss Holland off from the bench. What the actual fukk is going on there? Fmd...

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be watching a different game mate, I've seen him clap his hands scream at the player to play it quickly and bullet passes, along with his running game
If Holland can even provide average service then I'd be amazed, some of the balls i've seen him throw have been horrendous. Unfortunately it is what we're stuck with...too many makeshift players in key roles that just can't deliver what we really need.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I can't see cogger doing much from the bench. He's not a gamebreaker... He needs to be running on as a half or not all.
He needs to be 7 and Wakeham at 6... Will let Brendan play without so much pressure and allow him to pick his moments. Fark Lewis

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm happy Wakeham is getting the halfback position. I've been really impressed with him, he's got that natural ability to create.
I feel for Cogger though, he's tried hard and he's not a bad player.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i do agree hes a lot better cover for injuries but if there is no injuries to a backline player and your looking for someone to come on at 9 i just dont think holland is well suited to dummy. There is definately a trend of having an outside back on the bench lately though. lets hope he goes well if picked there. to be fair he had a few decent games in 2018 off the bench
He has actually done ok there in his 20 min cameos, so I'm not too fussed. And I'm sure that when JMK is available we will have him and Katoa rotating, and if we have a backline issue then JMK will revert back there.
We are actually quite lucky as far as our backs are concerned because we have Meaney, Hoppa, DWZ amd Rain is who can all play different positions. So there should be no issues.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who is the ex factor that can crack a game open? Whoever you think it is is well hidden and trust me when you check the stats Holland is far from being the speed hump in the team.Lucky for him that you were never a selector or he may well be back at Singleton.
Id rather have Averillo on the bench. At least hes got more skills and speed. I could handle him working on his defence over Holland any day. Not much weight difference between the both. Just my opinion. Averillo would also cover from 1 to 7 better then Holland would any day of the week