News Brandon Wakeham will start in the halves for Canterbury in their season opener against Parramatta

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Dean Pay is set to spring a round one selection shock by handing a starting halves spot to local product Brandon Wakeham, who hails from the same junior club as Canterbury legend Terry Lamb.

The 21-year-old is expected to partner Lachie Lewis ahead of the opening match of the NRL season when Canterbury play Parramatta on Thursday.

Wakeham made his NRL debut last season. Picture by Brett Costello.

Other surprising team selections include;

*Outside back Kerrod Holland to be back-up hooker off the interchange bench.

*New recruits Joe Stimson and Sione Katoa battling to make the round one side.

*Dean Britt to follow in his dad Darren’s footsteps in making his Bulldogs debut.

*Nick Meaney and Jeremy Marshall-King winning the battle to be passed fit to play.

Wakeham and Jack Cogger were in contention to play alongside Lewis after the long-term injury to Kieran Foran but Pay is expected to go with the more flamboyant Wakeham.

The Chester Hill Hornets product made his top-grade debut last year playing three games. He has played as many Tests for Fij

Canterbury will also feature a new-look centre combination with Reimis Smith joining Will Hopoate.

Wakeham played three Tests for Fiji last year. Photo by Kai Schwoerer/Getty Images.

A position where the Bulldogs have certainly, though, is in the No. 1 jersey with Dallin Watene-Zelezniak about to feature in his first full season as the club. He said he is a world away from the problems he faced last year before his mid-season switch from Penrith.

“I had a shocking start to the season,” Watene-Zelezniak said. “I wasn’t enjoying my football. I was really unhappy. Six months before I was captaining my country and was at the peak of my career and then to get where I was six months later it shoots

“I got to a club like this and found my joy for the game again. It took me back to when I was a kid and really loving football.

“You can’t put a price on happiness and what it does for your game. Having someone who believes in you (like Pay) and has faith in you as a player is pretty underrated. That’s all you really want. It brought the best out of in me.”

“Dean has brought the best out of me.”

Watene-Zelezniak returned the faith shown by Pay inking a two-year extension with the club in November.

“From day dot, the feelings I got from this club I knew I wanted to stay here,” Watene-Zelezniak said. “It was a no-brainer for me. I’m happy, you can’t put a price on happiness.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...a/news-story/1b373729abab01621c3a26efea88db77

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fucking Lewis survives again... Can only tackle and thats been questionable in the trials... Feel sorry for Cogger especially with Holland on the bench

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh this is very exciting news if true which I hope it is
The team needs a fresh spark in attack
Give him first shot to establish some confidence in himself and see were it takes us
I can’t wait to head out to BankWest on Thursday night

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
For Holland to get the jump over a qualified hooker Katoa must be really struggling. Big call from Pay

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like all of this but I would have Cogger/Katoa ahead of holland. Glad to see a more attacking approach and good news if Meaney is right to go

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely they can't be right about the bench..

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Holland ahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha
When are we going to see the back of this hack
If pay plays him at hooker, he might as well walk now

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Knowing Pay he will start Holland and bench Averillo lol

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely Holland on the bench is a G up. I dont see any talent in him. He is small and weak. He will not be able to make more then 10 tackles

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Surely Holland on the bench is a G up. I dont see any talent in him. He is small and weak. He will not be able to make more then 10 tackles
He's there because Pay wants a utility and apparently thinks Holland can play hooker lol.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s a big chance Holland will get decent minutes at hooker too. JMK hasn’t played a minute of the pre-season and mainly been doing rehab. He struggles to get through the 80 mins normally so Holland could get up to 20 mins there or more.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s a big chance Holland will get decent minutes at hooker too. JMK hasn’t played a minute of the pre-season and mainly been doing rehab. He struggles to get through the 80 mins normally so Holland could get up to 20 mins there or more.
And if we are lucky to be in the game still, Holland will kill the momentum and be a weak link in defence. Holland must have nudes of pays wife or something.
I cant wait until hes not in our side anymore and we dont have to worry about him being picked in the side

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For Holland to get the jump over a qualified hooker Katoa must be really struggling. Big call from Pay
Maybe this is only the case when or if JMK doesnt play, in which case Katoa starys and Holland is back up.....