Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They certainly will soon.

When SARS outbreak happened there was 30 pharmaceutical companies who each spent over $10 million developing a vaccine thinking that it would make a mint. Then the virus died back. Now those same companies are saying, "I'm not going to waste money developing a vaccine unless I know it's actually an issue"

The main problem now is that they know it's an issue but also know that it can be treated with drugs. So they'll develop a treatment first then a vaccine and they'll make a decent amount of money.
Being pharmaceutical companies, they'll be measuring the potential profit from treatment before they think of creating a vaccine. A vaccine is a one off injection verse possibly a couple of bottles of treatment. It's not an analysis of how many lives can be saved, it's unfortunately about the dollars they can make. I've heard that medicinal marijuana has been opposed by big pharma companies because it's largely more useful as a pain treatment and less addictive when tobacco isn't involved (as it frequently is with recreational use). Makes me wonder if we could have cures for the bulk of cancers if big pharma didn't profit heavily from treatments and painkillers.

I'll be very surprised if the Australian death toll reaches close to 250k from the corona virus. Seems like it will be far easier to quarantine people and isolate it with our reduced population density.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there is no shortage of toilet paper how come all shops are bare? So fill up your shelves if there is plenty.

They can't because there is none around

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
But it's not on the shelves at Coles or Woolworths... Until it's there it may as well be in china
Go to your chemist then :tonguewink:

PS... if you're the type of person that waits until you're onto your last roll before restocking toilet paper, you deserve to shit your pants.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For what it’s worth..Don’t forget the old school stuff..the unscientific stuff..but tried and tested..When you go out..Vicks up the nose..rub it on your chest and throat..Got me through some freezing nights outside..when I didn’t use it I used to get the flu all the time..

Just one thing though..don’t scratch your balls straight after you put it on.. Wash your hands first… I once rubbed Dencorub on myself and forgot it was still on my hands..tucked my shirt in and..yeowww! :dizzy:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They certainly will soon.

When SARS outbreak happened there was 30 pharmaceutical companies who each spent over $10 million developing a vaccine thinking that it would make a mint. Then the virus died back. Now those same companies are saying, "I'm not going to waste money developing a vaccine unless I know it's actually an issue"

The main problem now is that they know it's an issue but also know that it can be treated with drugs. So they'll develop a treatment first then a vaccine and they'll make a decent amount of money.
So if it eventually it can be treated with drugs… Doesn’t that mean the projected affected and death rates will be much lower than what is expected?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
On a positive note if a doomsday event does occur the people panic buying toilet paper will be the first bodies you see in the street.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Being pharmaceutical companies, they'll be measuring the potential profit from treatment before they think of creating a vaccine. A vaccine is a one off injection verse possibly a couple of bottles of treatment. It's not an analysis of how many lives can be saved, it's unfortunately about the dollars they can make. I've heard that medicinal marijuana has been opposed by big pharma companies because it's largely more useful as a pain treatment and less addictive when tobacco isn't involved (as it frequently is with recreational use). Makes me wonder if we could have cures for the bulk of cancers if big pharma didn't profit heavily from treatments and painkillers.

I'll be very surprised if the Australian death toll reaches close to 250k from the corona virus. Seems like it will be far easier to quarantine people and isolate it with our reduced population density.
Totally agree about pharmaceutical companies my man.. I’ve been watching about cures for spinal-cord injury for years...And other related nerve damage.. Scientists with promising results just stop..And I mean really promising stuff from scientific journals..One time cure is not what they want..It’s like with AIDS they have got exactly what they wanted.. Not a cure but expensive drugs..buying every month to keep Those afflicted alive and the company profits..
Just back to spinal injuries… It’s a massive industry.. From Commodes to wheelchairs even down to enemas and lubrication and laxatives.. It generates so much money… Unfortunately companies and businesses don’t want to give that up..

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So if it eventually it can be treated with drugs… Doesn’t that mean the projected affected and death rates will be much lower than what is expected?
Yep. The problem comes down to testing, development and production. The drug first had to be fully developed, then thoroughly tested, then approved, then mass produced and distributed. That's likely to take up to 18 months which means we'll still have the same projections. We'll just be better prepared the next time it comes around.

The best way to handle it is if we find a drug that's already in circulation that works well, then we can repurpose it. Then it just becomes an issue of mass production and distribution, which is a supply and demand issue. Throw money at the pharmaceutical companies and they'll have the drug out to everyone within 3-6 months. But... We haven't found an existing drug that will work, so at this stage that's a no go.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The utter stupidity of people, I weep for the future.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If there is no shortage of toilet paper how come all shops are bare? So fill up your shelves if there is plenty.

They can't because there is none around
Stock happens on set days. In the case of woollies and Coles, I believe they restock on Wednesdays. Problem is that people are still panic buying. Next stock cycle they'll probably stock up with more.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
For what it’s worth..Don’t forget the old school stuff..the unscientific stuff..but tried and tested..When you go out..Vicks up the nose..rub it on your chest and throat..Got me through some freezing nights outside..when I didn’t use it I used to get the flu all the time..

Just one thing though..don’t scratch your balls straight after you put it on.. Wash your hands first… I once rubbed Dencorub on myself and forgot it was still on my hands..tucked my shirt in and..yeowww! :dizzy:
I've done that a few times. Rubbing in decorub, need to piss, wipe my hands down then...

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will it affect NRL crowds with people scared to go out?
Face masks at the footy?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The cops have tazered someone over a toilet paper dispute fmd
Would have been funny if they missed the guy, hit the stack of toilet paper and started a fire.
Came looking for this story getting a mention in here. This guy has to be nominated for dumbest person in dumbest country. He gets all upset over the lack of toilet paper, and starts throwing boxes of tissues at a staff member.

Just let that sink in for a moment. Because of a lack of toilet paper, he starts chucking boxes of TISSUES around.

Ends up getting tazed after trying to put one cop into a headlock and reaching for another cops weapon. At least in jail he should find some toilet paper, hope he doesn't mind that 1 ply stuff that feels like it came out of the wood working section at Bunnings.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep. The problem comes down to testing, development and production. The drug first had to be fully developed, then thoroughly tested, then approved, then mass produced and distributed. That's likely to take up to 18 months which means we'll still have the same projections. We'll just be better prepared the next time it comes around.

The best way to handle it is if we find a drug that's already in circulation that works well, then we can repurpose it. Then it just becomes an issue of mass production and distribution, which is a supply and demand issue. Throw money at the pharmaceutical companies and they'll have the drug out to everyone within 3-6 months. But... We haven't found an existing drug that will work, so at this stage that's a no go.
This is also a major argument for doing as much as possible to contain the spread. The more that the spread can be slowed down, the more time that is bought to develop meds and a vaccine.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Came looking for this story getting a mention in here. This guy has to be nominated for dumbest person in dumbest country. He gets all upset over the lack of toilet paper, and starts throwing boxes of tissues at a staff member.

Just let that sink in for a moment. Because of a lack of toilet paper, he starts chucking boxes of TISSUES around.

Ends up getting tazed after trying to put one cop into a headlock and reaching for another cops weapon. At least in jail he should find some toilet paper, hope he doesn't mind that 1 ply stuff that feels like it came out of the wood working section at Bunnings.
Do you think this mass retardation we have in this country is linked with social media?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. Antibiotics do nothing against Coronavirus, or any virus. Literally, they have no effect on it.
I think that's a bit of bullshit .. how many time have I gone to a doctor with sore throat /sinus / chest and they say it's viral anti biotics done work.. I always convince them to write the script.. I give it a day and my symptoms keep getting worse, start taking the anti biotics and bam next day huge improvement

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People throw about this statistic that 250000 could die from corona virus in Australia. Then in the next breath they say but don't panic. That's a heck of a lot of people, very likely it would involve you or someone close to you.

I think people hoarding toilet paper will be seen as the lucky ones. Those who respond first and take the best precautions are less likely to get impacted

Amongst a pandemic, who wants to be out of toilet paper or other essential items? Have to go to Coles or Woolies just to pick up a roll of toilet paper and catch the virus? That's the whole point, it's about containment, the shelves can be full of toilet rolls but no-one will want to come out to buy one

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do you think this mass retardation we have in this country is linked with social media?
It is likely, there are plenty of researchers in psychology and sociology who are exploring links. Correlations certainly exist between the rise of social media and decline of a variety of things that are considered socially or individually beneficial. One researcher well known in this area is Jean Twenge, who has studied narcissism, generational change, and social media, among other things, and points to a big chunk of links.

But correlation does not prove causation, so there is plenty of people who disagree with the conclusions of people like Twenge. Personally I think she is onto something, and it is hard to find a person who won't agree that entitlement is a growing problem, but the causes are very complex, it is feasible that social media is more of an enhancer or enabler than a true causative agent.

Personally I find the words and actions of technology and social media executives the most compelling. Did you know many of them actively restrict usage by their own children?

Having said all this, it would equally be a mistake to blame social media for all of our ills, to make it a scapegoat. Ultimately we have to own our own words and actions, even if we are being unconsciously influenced by tech and media, because otherwise we lose hold of the power to create change in our own lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.