Opinion Dogged division over player dividends

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
mate, Nathan brown is a shit coach, my point is if knights thought meaney was that good they wouldn’t have bought ponga, so we got the reject. And cogger is shit, that’s why knights bought Pearce... We fluked it with dwz, and CHN is not great, just good.
That’s one way to look at it. Another is they bought the games best young player and wanted an experienced half albeit a roosters reject

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
mate, Nathan brown is a shit coach, my point is if knights thought meaney was that good they wouldn’t have bought ponga, so we got the reject. And cogger is shit, that’s why knights bought Pearce... We fluked it with dwz, and CHN is not great, just good.

Who cares if Newcastle didn't have a spot for him.. doesn't mean shit... the only thing we should care about is what he does in the blue n white.. he was consistent this year and for a small guy being played on a wing which is not his natural position.. he did pretty well.. and he always gives 110%, unlike the entire Knights squad

Cogger might not be the best but he is still young and he got better as the season went on.. He didn't exactly have a whole lot to work off of for most of the year

Fluked it? who cares... he had his choices and he chose the Dogs.. CHN on his day is pretty bloody good.. and we were seeing more consistency from him at the back end of the year... I know we all criticised Pay for dropping players at the beginning of the season but clearly we saw that he's got the respect of the players

I don't know why some of you guys don't start supporting Newcastle.. nothing good to say about anything Bulldogs

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Ponga is a freak. There isn’t a young fullback in the world who he wouldn’t be prioritised over, so branding Meaney a ‘reject’ under those circumstances isn’t fair.

We signed Meaney with the promise of greater opportunities, and so far looks to be a good signing. Cogger same deal, he looks a high quality young halfback and I’ve got hopes he’ll develop into our long term #7

Despite all your ramblings and comparisons, we still finished 2019 with the same amount of wins as the Knights!

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s one way to look at it. Another is they bought the games best young player and wanted an experienced half albeit a roosters reject
That’s my point but... we were meant to be signing the best young talent in the game and so far the board has not delivered on that mark...

we have a png partnership and yet Souths signed that gun from the qld cup and eagles just signed the next segeyaro and that’s not cocaine wise lol

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ponga is a freak. There isn’t a young fullback in the world who he wouldn’t be prioritised over, so branding Meaney a ‘reject’ under those circumstances isn’t fair.

We signed Meaney with the promise of greater opportunities, and so far looks to be a good signing. Cogger same deal, he looks a high quality young halfback and I’ve got hopes he’ll develop into our long term #7

Despite all your ramblings and comparisons, we still finished 2019 with the same amount of wins as the Knights!
High quality halfback hahahahaha

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That’s my point but... we were meant to be signing the best young talent in the game and so far the board has not delivered on that mark...

we have a png partnership and yet Souths signed that gun from the qld cup and eagles just signed the next segeyaro and that’s not cocaine wise lol
Are you including young guns like Schoup or just mean big names?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate we finished on the same points as the Knights.. what the hell are you running? We will be in the 8 next year and they will very likely go down the ladder... Ponga is the most overrated player in the comp.. when he does shine it's usually only in patches during a game.. and very rarely against top teams
Nah doubt we will finish ahead of the knights in 2020.
The wheels fell the Knights last season because Brown is a shit coach and lost the dressing room.

If we finish in the top 8 I will buy you 2 slabs of beer & a bottle of french champaign.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you including young guns like Schoup or just mean big names?
No, not big names... I’m
Not expecting big name signings in the first few weeks of November for 2021, I understand that part.. I’m more referring to signings we could’ve made for this year that went on to kill it for other clubs.
Mika sivo was on match payments this year for the eels.
Briton nikore
Front rower that tigers just signed from eels..
Thomas mikele
Lachlan timns (now at Brisbane)

Just to name a few.

schoup (will be playing jersey flegg).

signing the best young talent ready made for first grade has not occurred...

axeman23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So all our signings that DO work out are "flukes", and all the ones that DON'T are "par for the course/the result of the muppets in charge". Gotcha... :smirk:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah doubt we will finish ahead of the knights in 2020.
The wheels fell the Knights last season because Brown is a shit coach and lost the dressing room.

If we finish in the top 8 I will buy you 2 slabs of beer & a bottle of french champaign.
So what, you think an inexperienced coach is going to waltz on in and take them to the top... LOL.... the wheels fell off because the players don't have pride in the jersey and they are a shit club.. the same reason they haven taken forever just to get to 11th. We will be in the 8 my friend.. don't doubt that

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So all our signings that DO work out are "flukes", and all the ones that DON'T are "par for the course/the result of the muppets in charge". Gotcha... :smirk:
Post pointed out dwz, that was a fluke... didn’t say CHN was... learn to read

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
No, not big names... I’m
Not expecting big name signings in the first few weeks of November for 2021, I understand that part.. I’m more referring to signings we could’ve made for this year that went on to kill it for other clubs.
Briton nikore
Thomas mikele

Just to name a few.

I guess it’s easy in hindsight but don’t forget there are 15 other clubs, most more attractive than us due to our position on the ladder, relatively rookie coach, limited funds and our location is far from a desirable place to travel to every day. I’d like the results to be better too but it’s early days and time will tell

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So what, you think an inexperienced coach is going to waltz on in and take them to the top... LOL.... the wheels fell off because the players don't have pride in the jersey and they are a shit club.. the same reason they haven taken forever just to get to 11th. We will be in the 8 my friend.. don't doubt that
Don't discount how much of a shit coach Brown is!!

Looking at our roster I do doubt we will make the 8.
Nothing is impossible however and if we do make the 8 it will be an enjoyable season.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it’s easy in hindsight but don’t forget there are 15 other clubs, most more attractive than us due to our position on the ladder, relatively rookie coach, limited funds and our location is far from a desirable place to travel to every day. I’d like the results to be better too but it’s early days and time will tell
I get what you’re saying... but I think those excuses can only be used for so long...

Eels have had cap dramas, wooden spooners but have recruited much better then what we have

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying... but I think those excuses can only be used for so long...

Eels have had cap dramas, wooden spooners but have recruited much better then what we have
Exactly

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No, not big names... I’m
Briton nikore
Thomas mikele

Just to name a few.

To an extent your disappointment is quite valid. But at the same time it's a lot to expect the club to get everyone you think will go on to great things. Both Meaney and Cogger did well this year. Cogger hasn't reached elite status, but he's probably got the best kicking game we've had in quite a while and seems like he can also organise the team pretty well. I'm happy to have him at the club. Meaney came to the club with confidence in kick reception but was reputedly a poor defender. His defence was surprisingly good in my opinion given the rumours I'd heard about him being a turnstile. He took a long time to get his attack on point and it wasn't until he shifted to the wing. But I think he's going to improve as he develops in strength. Both very astute signings on a budget.

I have no idea how much faith the club has in our current youngsters. But they're in a better position to know what their strengths are and how hard they'll work to overcome their weaknesses. The board seems to be pretty serious about getting our development back on track. But development players will take time to make their mark.

I know that many people lack patience, but it's going to take time to get a seriously competitive set of teams together in all grades. Blowing a gasket about how long it's taking and getting upset that we haven't signed every player that goes on to make an impact at their new club just seems like an excercise in futility.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Market value vs paying overs vs value to playing group...

Everybody here surely knows the majority of high profile recruits don't provide value for $
Most of them flop horribly in fact.

With that in mind, can we all take a breath before we criticize this board and playing group and football staff before sticking the knife in when we miss out on an ??upgrade?? to our roster

I am by no means pro board or Pay just simply a fan who wants the success of our club to be established with a long term vision.

If a potential recruit might possibly destabilize the playing group because of a bad attitude or training practices than surely that detracts from the values Pay and staff are trying to instill within the squad.

I am backing them to get the recruitment right with a hard working, dedicated senior leadership group steering the way.
The last thing we need right now is a Hayne or Mitchell types taking up large portions of the cap sewing the seeds of doubt and contempt.

Go after the young hungry players without a chip on their shoulder. Sure pay THEM players overs to an extent. But I trust the club to be damn sure that if we do sign a once in a generation player that it will come with a once in a generation attitude and training practices.

This club is beginning to establish an identity again, and it is one to be admired not admonished. It is an identy of hard work and backing up your team mates in defence. An identity of punching above your weight and not folding because the chips are stacked against you.

The Haynes and Mitchell's of the world do not fit the mould. And at the price their types demand they should be setting the example not leaching off everyone else's hard work and stealing the glory.

This is the mould that has seen our highly touted juniors of the past step up and exceed expectations. This is the mould that has seen once average cup players put on a Bulldogs jersey and become a vital dog in the wheel. This is the mould that used to seperate us from the faders and the also rans.

This is the blueprint for the Canterbury way. Hate to say it but either fit in or fuck off!
Excellent post which should be read by all supporters.
What we need, and what the club is trying to do, is to build a team of capable players.
The last thing we need is some prima donna taking up a lot of cap space and not performing.
We have experience with that with Woods and Mbye etc.
We also dont need older players coming here for their pension.
A good team will beat a team of champions.
Its an old saying but still rings true. We are on track.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Let’s talk when we are back on a full salary cap and more competitive on the field.

What have parra won for all that money spent? Slightly better than Newcastle

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To an extent your disappointment is quite valid. But at the same time it's a lot to expect the club to get everyone you think will go on to great things. Both Meaney and Cogger did well this year. Cogger hasn't reached elite status, but he's probably got the best kicking game we've had in quite a while and seems like he can also organise the team pretty well. I'm happy to have him at the club. Meaney came to the club with confidence in kick reception but was reputedly a poor defender. His defence was surprisingly good in my opinion given the rumours I'd heard about him being a turnstile. He took a long time to get his attack on point and it wasn't until he shifted to the wing. But I think he's going to improve as he develops in strength. Both very astute signings on a budget.

I have no idea how much faith the club has in our current youngsters. But they're in a better position to know what their strengths are and how hard they'll work to overcome their weaknesses. The board seems to be pretty serious about getting our development back on track. But development players will take time to make their mark.

I know that many people lack patience, but it's going to take time to get a seriously competitive set of teams together in all grades. Blowing a gasket about how long it's taking and getting upset that we haven't signed every player that goes on to make an impact at their new club just seems like an excercise in futility.
In terms of rebuild;

I look at other teams who rebuilt and when you saw what they were doing you could justify it...

I always said I wasn’t gonna judge the board until I see what squad we have in 2021, everything they have said is based on that season, so this isn’t about why we aren’t signing David fifita and latrell Mitchell lol...

I just think that players like sivo, maekele and the examples I’ve given, we should’ve been able to sign them (not all) without any fuss really...

All we have got to show for it was meaney and cogger, now let’s face it with all the young talent that’s come through, we should’ve done better then that...

this whole respecting the jersey crap and playing for pride days are gone, people need to realise it’s not the 90s.

all these young players coming up are millennials, they don’t care about how back in the day that terry lamb bled for the jersey lol...

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s talk when we are back on a full salary cap and more competitive on the field.

What have parra won for all that money spent? Slightly better than Newcastle
ok, but you are referring to signing like schoup and other youngsters... well eels have one of the largest junior nurseries....

My point about the eels was they too have had cap drama, they too have not had results on the field and they too for a long time have not been an appealing club, but let’s face it, they’ve done much better in recruiting with all their drama they’ve had