Opinion Dogged division over player dividends

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree completely... Meaney is solid and Cogger is improving every game he plays... Can't rip on the kids when they have been part of 2 of the shittest teams / forward packs of the modern game.
Solid lol...

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney showed increasing confidence as he learned wing in the backend of the season. Scored 6 tries and had an 80% goal kicking rate. I’m looking forward to seeing how he goes in 2020.
He’s a stop gap mate... he’s not the answer to our wing problem, we need a big, meter eater forward. And before you say okunbor, I’ll stop you right there, he ain’t either.. I’d rather meaney then Okunbor, but Meaney is not the answer moving forward

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He’s a stop gap mate... he’s not the answer to our wing problem, we need a big, meter eater forward. And before you say okunbor, I’ll stop you right there, he ain’t either.. I’d rather meaney then Okunbor, but Meaney is not the answer moving forward
God no, not Knockonbur. I don’t see the value at all. I’d have Meaney every day of the week before Jayden.

I’m not suggesting Meaney is a superstar and he may not make it past his existing contract. But he’s learning a new position since DWZ arrived and he’s showing confidence - hence I hope to see him improve further in 2020.

I think he was an astute purchase at a tough time financially for the club.

We really should be ensuring that Reimis sees more ball...

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's your interpretation of what I wrote; but that's not what I actually said.

My comment was that high priced superstars often come with baggage that affects the morale of the team. What service have we had from Foran? Remember T-Rex? Our regular players have to pick up the slack - do you reckon they don't wonder why they have do the heavy lifting while these characters are sitting around on their massive salaries?

Better that we focus on good players with the potential to develop into stars, than buy high priced players whose clubs are happy to release.
Yes our previous management made bad choices in the past but that's not to say EVERY star player will bring shit to a club. Do you think the Roosters would have won the comp the last 2 years without buying established stars Tedesco, Keary and Cronk from other clubs or SBW when they won the comp a few years ago ? Average players usually look up to super stars and learn from them in training and on the paddock

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How can Meaney not be the answer though. Currently he's not in my top side as DWZ needs to be fullback... But in time I think he can be excellent, just needs abit more mass... Everyone ripping on a kid who has all the attributes but just isn't quite ready to excel as a NRL fullback just yet

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can Meaney not be the answer though. Currently he's not in my top side as DWZ needs to be fullback... But in time I think he can be excellent, just needs abit more mass... Everyone ripping on a kid who has all the attributes but just isn't quite ready to excel as a NRL fullback just yet
Please man... he’s nowhere near the quality of the current crop of wingers in the game, same goes for fullback

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Please man... he’s nowhere near the quality of the current crop of wingers in the game, same goes for fullback
In space he's to quick and when he's been in space his footwork and instinct to switch the ball to each hand pending defenders is class that is pure instinct. We all seen it, size and lack of fear putting his body on the line in kick returns will be the big factors that make or break him, until those are addressed he won't be able to capitalise and ball play as a fullback... And yeah he's not a winger and never has been, the kid filled in well and did what was asked of him in a tough situation, he could have kicked stones but he didn't, so I respect the boy

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In space he's to quick and when he's been in space his footwork and instinct to switch the ball to each hand pending defenders is class that is pure instinct. We all seen it, size and lack of fear putting his body on the line in kick returns will be the big factors that make or break him, until those are addressed he won't be able to capitalise and ball play as a fullback... And yeah he's not a winger and never has been, the kid filled in well and did what was asked of him in a tough situation, he could have kicked stones but he didn't, so I respect the boy
You mean to tell
Me he’s not scared to get tackled? Wow!! Like I said, he’s a stop gap... nothing more

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You mean to tell
Me he’s not scared to get tackled? Wow!! Like I said, he’s a stop gap... nothing more
You know what I mean, he's a smaller lad he's not going to launch himself back at the defence like K.Hunt use to or DWZ. Either find the ground fast or don't stand up and let yourself get pushed back

Banned
Reaction score
Credit where due, Meaney adds pace to one wing, something we've oft lacked!
Problem is it's not explosive pace, he needs to wind up to top gear, at which no one can catch him!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes our previous management made bad choices in the past but that's not to say EVERY star player will bring shit to a club. Do you think the Roosters would have won the comp the last 2 years without buying established stars Tedesco, Keary and Cronk from other clubs or SBW when they won the comp a few years ago ? Average players usually look up to super stars and learn from them in training and on the paddock
Players like Tedesco, Keary and Cronk, as a package, fitted into a club with top performing players and a recognised coach.
I'm sure we'll see D W-Z develop into a great strike player - as we did Barba, Mason, Thurston and SBW.
If we could buy three good stars, I'd be more inclined to be enthused about our immediate future. Under the cap restrictions, we've only been able to attract one older player with potential - and it didn't work out so well.
To attract three top players, we'd have to blow the cap to lure them to Belmore, under an unknown quantity as coach, and leaving us with no depth.
I'm trying hard to remember a good, high salary player we attracted at top dollar, who delivered for us.
But we can live in hope.

Banned
Reaction score
Players like Tedesco, Keary and Cronk, as a package, fitted into a club with top performing players and a recognised coach.
I'm sure we'll see D W-Z develop into a great strike player - as we did Barba, Mason, Thurston and SBW.
If we could buy three good stars, I'd be more inclined to be enthused about our immediate future. Under the cap restrictions, we've only been able to attract one older player with potential - and it didn't work out so well.
To attract three top players, we'd have to blow the cap to lure them to Belmore, under an unknown quantity as coach, and leaving us with no depth.
I'm trying hard to remember a good, high salary player we attracted at top dollar, who delivered for us.
But we can live in hope.
Side topic...
Take it you've seen the STN for the dildo's test run?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Side topic...
Take it you've seen the STN for the dildo's test run?
Been laid out flat on my back for ten weeks with a badly broken leg; and out of touch for that time.
No, I haven't seen the STN. I'll get a mate to bring me a copy.