Opinion Dogged division over player dividends

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
ok, but you are referring to signing like schoup and other youngsters... well eels have one of the largest junior nurseries....

My point about the eels was they too have had cap drama, they too have not had results on the field and they too for a long time have not been an appealing club, but let’s face it, they’ve done much better in recruiting with all their drama they’ve had
I agree and think they are a step ahead of us. We aren’t on a level playing field until 2021 but they already are.
They also just lost the next big thing to the tigers apparently too

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In terms of rebuild;

I look at other teams who rebuilt and when you saw what they were doing you could justify it...

I always said I wasn’t gonna judge the board until I see what squad we have in 2021, everything they have said is based on that season, so this isn’t about why we aren’t signing David fifita and latrell Mitchell lol...

I just think that players like sivo, maekele and the examples I’ve given, we should’ve been able to sign them (not all) without any fuss really...

All we have got to show for it was meaney and cogger, now let’s face it with all the young talent that’s come through, we should’ve done better then that...

this whole respecting the jersey crap and playing for pride days are gone, people need to realise it’s not the 90s.

all these young players coming up are millennials, they don’t care about how back in the day that terry lamb bled for the jersey lol...
You could draw comparison to a signing like Ash Taylor who reputedly got big money and has done bugger all or Jack Bird and Milford. If I looked at every club I could probably find a few recruitment decisions that deserve some criticism. Not that all our signings have been exceptional. But I think our board have made some astute decisions. All I can do is hope they make more over the course of the season.

Recruitment isn't a pissing contest or a running race. There isn't a first prize, there tend to be numerous prizes. Some clubs might make one or two great decisions that we as fans envy. There are probably many fans that look at some of our signings with envy. The annoying thing is that so many of our very vocal fans are shouting about the poor choices while completely skipping past the astute decisions.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Market value vs paying overs vs value to playing group...

Everybody here surely knows the majority of high profile recruits don't provide value for $
Most of them flop horribly in fact.

With that in mind, can we all take a breath before we criticize this board and playing group and football staff before sticking the knife in when we miss out on an ??upgrade?? to our roster

I am by no means pro board or Pay just simply a fan who wants the success of our club to be established with a long term vision.

If a potential recruit might possibly destabilize the playing group because of a bad attitude or training practices than surely that detracts from the values Pay and staff are trying to instill within the squad.

I am backing them to get the recruitment right with a hard working, dedicated senior leadership group steering the way.
The last thing we need right now is a Hayne or Mitchell types taking up large portions of the cap sewing the seeds of doubt and contempt.

Go after the young hungry players without a chip on their shoulder. Sure pay THEM players overs to an extent. But I trust the club to be damn sure that if we do sign a once in a generation player that it will come with a once in a generation attitude and training practices.

This club is beginning to establish an identity again, and it is one to be admired not admonished. It is an identy of hard work and backing up your team mates in defence. An identity of punching above your weight and not folding because the chips are stacked against you.

The Haynes and Mitchell's of the world do not fit the mould. And at the price their types demand they should be setting the example not leaching off everyone else's hard work and stealing the glory.

This is the mould that has seen our highly touted juniors of the past step up and exceed expectations. This is the mould that has seen once average cup players put on a Bulldogs jersey and become a vital dog in the wheel. This is the mould that used to seperate us from the faders and the also rans.

This is the blueprint for the Canterbury way. Hate to say it but either fit in or fuck off!
Great post....
But there is no right or wrong in the conversation.
Problem people are asking which is great point too.
How much longer do u stick with an unsuccessful blue print ?
Not saying it is unsuccessful, just so far the results have not turned.
But how long do we follow this blueprint if it doesnt work. 2 years, 4 years, 10 years.
Bullfrog was known as the most aggressive recruiter of his era for getting the best talent in the country.
Calling something the bulldog way to suit your own agenda is a bit off the mark.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
In terms of rebuild;

I look at other teams who rebuilt and when you saw what they were doing you could justify it...

I always said I wasn’t gonna judge the board until I see what squad we have in 2021, everything they have said is based on that season, so this isn’t about why we aren’t signing David fifita and latrell Mitchell lol...

I just think that players like sivo, maekele and the examples I’ve given, we should’ve been able to sign them (not all) without any fuss really...

All we have got to show for it was meaney and cogger, now let’s face it with all the young talent that’s come through, we should’ve done better then that...

this whole respecting the jersey crap and playing for pride days are gone, people need to realise it’s not the 90s.

all these young players coming up are millennials, they don’t care about how back in the day that terry lamb bled for the jersey lol...
I don’t dismiss any of what you’re saying mate, I think it’s very valid.

However I’d suggest you’re maybe 9 months in front of the gun. I’d love to have this discussion in mid 2020.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't discount how much of a shit coach Brown is!!

Looking at our roster I do doubt we will make the 8.
Nothing is impossible however and if we do make the 8 it will be an enjoyable season.

Lol bro their team is rubbish.. Bunch of Rooster rejects.. It will be a long time before they play finals footy again... We finished the season as one of the form teams... Think I know who will have the better season in 2020

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ponga is the most overrated player in the comp.. when he does shine it's usually only in patches during a game.. and very rarely against top teams
Nah. He is a genuine freak footballer that needs an attitude check so he doesn’t become a Mitchell.. Hanging around Pierce and Klemmer is the opposite to what he needs. He would look good in Blue and white and we could prevent the chip growing on his shoulders.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah. He is a genuine freak footballer that needs an attitude check so he doesn’t become a Mitchell.. Hanging around Pierce and Klemmer is the opposite to what he needs. He would look good in Blue and white and we could prevent the chip growing on his shoulders.

has a good highlights real but doesn't impress me... if he could do what he does against bottom teams to the likes of Roosters, Storm, etc... then I would believe the hype.. I think we've even handled him pretty comfortably

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
has a good highlights real but doesn't impress me... if he could do what he does against bottom teams to the likes of Roosters, Storm, etc... then I would believe the hype.. I think we've even handled him pretty comfortably
When you have a coach (brown) who puts him on a pedestal and says lines like “my wife can coach Ponga” would you hear a Trent Robinson, madge, Bellamy say that about their stars? Don’t think so... even Adam O’Brien came out and said Ponga has a lot to learn... that’s how a proper coach should be talking about their stars, keep em grounded

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t dismiss any of what you’re saying mate, I think it’s very valid.

However I’d suggest you’re maybe 9 months in front of the gun. I’d love to have this discussion in mid 2020.
For proper first grade signings, yes I see your point hence, the board clearly said 2021, but what I’m skeptics of is we haven’t moved for the best young talent in lower grades that were on the cusp of first grade like they said they would

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good highlights reel.?
Hasn’t even played 50 FG games yet. Has already played for QLD with Andrews Johns calling his debut the best he had seen.

Put him in a good “team” and he would excel. If we ever get a chance to go after him I will be begging the Brad and Brady’s to start and run the campaign on the Kennel and to pay what ever overs they suggest!!

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Market value vs paying overs vs value to playing group...

Everybody here surely knows the majority of high profile recruits don't provide value for $
Most of them flop horribly in fact.

With that in mind, can we all take a breath before we criticize this board and playing group and football staff before sticking the knife in when we miss out on an ??upgrade?? to our roster

I am by no means pro board or Pay just simply a fan who wants the success of our club to be established with a long term vision.

If a potential recruit might possibly destabilize the playing group because of a bad attitude or training practices than surely that detracts from the values Pay and staff are trying to instill within the squad.

I am backing them to get the recruitment right with a hard working, dedicated senior leadership group steering the way.
The last thing we need right now is a Hayne or Mitchell types taking up large portions of the cap sewing the seeds of doubt and contempt.

Go after the young hungry players without a chip on their shoulder. Sure pay THEM players overs to an extent. But I trust the club to be damn sure that if we do sign a once in a generation player that it will come with a once in a generation attitude and training practices.

This club is beginning to establish an identity again, and it is one to be admired not admonished. It is an identy of hard work and backing up your team mates in defence. An identity of punching above your weight and not folding because the chips are stacked against you.

The Haynes and Mitchell's of the world do not fit the mould. And at the price their types demand they should be setting the example not leaching off everyone else's hard work and stealing the glory.

This is the mould that has seen our highly touted juniors of the past step up and exceed expectations. This is the mould that has seen once average cup players put on a Bulldogs jersey and become a vital dog in the wheel. This is the mould that used to seperate us from the faders and the also rans.

This is the blueprint for the Canterbury way. Hate to say it but either fit in or fuck off!
No one on here really knows who the club is actually pursuing, Including you! Most of what you have said in your post is a form of propaganda, blowarsery if you will, but I enjoyed the read.

The Bulldog DNA is a load of bullshit, have we all forgotten it was poor recruitment from Dib and Des that saw Lichaa swapped for Ennis and Cook and many more poor recruitment decisions. That’s not DNA! That was the shit ***** at the top!

I don’t believe our recruitment has been finalized as yet and I don’t think you can put Mitchel and Hayne in the same boat. Ones a young talented footballer who has strong ties to his culture, stands up for what he believes, still has most of his career left and the other is a 2x rapist that had so much going on outside NRL on his return, it showed in his performance on the field, either way his attitude towards training has always been below average.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good highlights reel.?
Hasn’t even played 50 FG games yet. Has already played for QLD with Andrews Johns calling his debut the best he had seen.

Put him in a good “team” and he would excel. If we ever get a chance to go after him I will be begging the Brad and Brady’s to start and run the campaign on the Kennel and to pay what ever overs they suggest!!

He played for QLD because they had no other real options.. the game was actually lost when he came on and gave away costly penalties / got in the way.. of course an ex Knight would say that... yeah fair enough he defended well.. put him in a good team.. if he was as good as the hype around him is, he would be able to do what he does against bottom teams, against top teams, regardless.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the 2 "marquee" players we should be going all out to sign are Jack Wighton and Cameron Murray. Pay these guys "overs" to get them here. Wighton is an outstanding attacking five-eight and is only going to get better. Murray a great lock who has a large motor and also has an ability to make a break, offload and create. These 2 guys have just broke into the Australian team and are in the next group of elite players coming through. I think they are the type of players when added to our current roster would take us to the next level

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the 2 "marquee" players we should be going all out to sign are Jack Wighton and Cameron Murray. Pay these guys "overs" to get them here. Wighton is an outstanding attacking five-eight and is only going to get better. Murray a great lock who has a large motor and also has an ability to make a break, offload and create. These 2 guys have just broke into the Australian team and are in the next group of elite players coming through. I think they are the type of players when added to our current roster would take us to the next level
I like both players but Cameron Murray apparently is a stained on Souths man and I cant imagine Ricky letting Jack Wighton leave cold old Canberra..

+ I forgot to mention that we do have Lachy who can play both positions..:tonguewink: (big wave to Sancho2020)

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
ok, but you are referring to signing like schoup and other youngsters... well eels have one of the largest junior nurseries....

My point about the eels was they too have had cap drama, they too have not had results on the field and they too for a long time have not been an appealing club, but let’s face it, they’ve done much better in recruiting with all their drama they’ve had
They played finals footy and had an overall reasonable season and have only strengthened their squad with matterson rcg Blake.

Picked up and identified sivo when we did Crichton...

They are clearly doing a lot more right than we are.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here:
Glad we have professionals fixing the team cap.... you clowns are as bad as Hasler/castle/dib

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
For proper first grade signings, yes I see your point hence, the board clearly said 2021, but what I’m skeptics of is we haven’t moved for the best young talent in lower grades that were on the cusp of first grade like they said they would
My best guess (and that’s all it is) is that while the final year of cap pain plays out (2020), they’re giving the current crop a chance to sink or swim - so Lewis, Cogger, etc. It likely ties into a bigger plan than none of us can see yet, hence the confusion/frustration. It’s interesting to note that all recent re-signings are to 2021 - so although 2021 is our chance to spend and compete - to me it says they’re thinking beyond that too - next media deal, next rise in cap etc. I’m sure there’s a method to the madness...

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score

Their recruitment is made alot easier given the friendly media disposition, the fact that NSW government has sounded out Parramatta district as being the new centre of Sydney and investing in infrastructure as such. ALSO and a big one at that, having a brand new stadium that is arguably now the best rugby league live viewing experience in Oz doesn't hurt there cause either.

Now think about the medias disposition towards the Bankstown Canterbury area's, think about the shit fight we have to go through for any major new (clue, non have happened in my short life) developments or even redevelopment.

Most clubs are 10 paces in front of us and it's not the Football or the Leagues clubs fault.

Parramatta have had 2 brand new stadiums in the same time frame we have not even had a redevolpment beyond some new seats, a gym, rehab facilities and a new coat of paint and some office furniture all mostly self funded I might add.

This is why it is even more vital for us to build from the ground up.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My best guess (and that’s all it is) is that while the final year of cap pain plays out (2020), they’re giving the current crop a chance to sink or swim - so Lewis, Cogger, etc. It likely ties into a bigger plan than none of us can see yet, hence the confusion/frustration. It’s interesting to note that all recent re-signings are to 2021 - so although 2021 is our chance to spend and compete - to me it says they’re thinking beyond that too - next media deal, next rise in cap etc. I’m sure there’s a method to the madness...
I agree. Pay has said many times these young guys need to get 40 - 50 first grade games under their belt and after next season alot of these young guys will be close to that. I'm guessing Pay is doing his best to stick to that and showing confidence and give the opportunity to the young guys to step up and really prove themselves next year. Hopefully a couple of them have breakout seasons and really prove themselves. The potential is definitely there with alot of them. This time next year we might be looking back on the breakout seasons that Cogger and JMK have had and are all happy with our spine. Maybe Averillo will burst on to the scene like Xerri did and we won't be screaming for a centre like we are now. At least we will have a better idea of which guys are to be part of our successful future and what positions we need to fill with recruitment. How good would it be for 4 or 5 of our young guys to really step up to the next level?