Opinion Difference between us and other sides with young players

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not all young players at other clubs are killing it. And few clubs if any have the amount of juniors in key positions as we do. I doubt any club is as inexperienced as ours. We just need a few experienced signings to balance the team in that regard

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not all young players at other clubs are killing it. And few clubs if any have the amount of juniors in key positions as we do. I doubt any club is as inexperienced as ours. We just need a few experienced signings to balance the team in that regard
Lewis/Cogger or Cogger/Wakeham

Have we ever fielded 2 more inexperienced halves combos?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our attacking structure is ordinary and players like Meaney are not getting quality ball on the trot to try and get around their opposites.
Instead of marching down field then trying to score we should be able to launch an attacking raid from the middle of the park.
It is a point our rookies are not superstars like some clubs who have bought carefully, we can only coach some instinct into them.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've said this in plenty of other threads already. But new threads pop up still so here goes my hundredth time repeating myself.

Regardless of whether A better coach would have our NRL squad performing better, back when Greenberg was our CEO he decided that junior development was a wasted expense since other clubs might scalp any excess talent we brought through the ranks. We had quality staff doing our recruitment and good coaching staff at every level when he made this decision. It seems like since that time these positions were filled with keeping the staff budget down. As a result we don't see many stars moving through our production line.

Just look at our last premiership winning roster. You have the likes of sbw, Thurston, Asotasi, Sherwin etc all earning their NRL spots in a short time frame. Since the great talent scouts and junior coaches were moved on for being too much of an expense, we see maybe one star quality player every five years coming through.

This isn't a reflection on Pay, he had bugger all to do with the juniors he's got at his disposal. You might be able to argue that if Pay was given his first chance to coach an NRL club at Melbourne that he'd be coaching a top 4 team. Having a makeshift hooker filling in really cuts the momentum of our forwards and the time our halves have to make decisions. On top of that our main strike weapons in the backline were moved on. I'm not saying I support Pay. Just that I think our roster has gaping holes in the level of talent available.

If our young and inexperienced team had started the year with a few good wins it might have given them a more positive attitude. We didn't start well and the confidence factor has meant that where an experienced team can often put in game errors behind them, our inexperienced roster seems to compound errors. It's not a good time to blood youngsters. I do hope that some of our juniors debuting this year are salvageable. But apart from a few gems, they're generally not superstars in the making.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I've said this in plenty of other threads already. But new threads pop up still so here goes my hundredth time repeating myself.

Regardless of whether A better coach would have our NRL squad performing better, back when Greenberg was our CEO he decided that junior development was a wasted expense since other clubs might scalp any excess talent we brought through the ranks. We had quality staff doing our recruitment and good coaching staff at every level when he made this decision. It seems like since that time these positions were filled with keeping the staff budget down. As a result we don't see many stars moving through our production line.

Just look at our last premiership winning roster. You have the likes of sbw, Thurston, Asotasi, Sherwin etc all earning their NRL spots in a short time frame. Since the great talent scouts and junior coaches were moved on for being too much of an expense, we see maybe one star quality player every five years coming through.

This isn't a reflection on Pay, he had bugger all to do with the juniors he's got at his disposal. You might be able to argue that if Pay was given his first chance to coach an NRL club at Melbourne that he'd be coaching a top 4 team. Having a makeshift hooker filling in really cuts the momentum of our forwards and the time our halves have to make decisions. On top of that our main strike weapons in the backline were moved on. I'm not saying I support Pay. Just that I think our roster has gaping holes in the level of talent available.

If our young and inexperienced team had started the year with a few good wins it might have given them a more positive attitude. We didn't start well and the confidence factor has meant that where an experienced team can often put in game errors behind them, our inexperienced roster seems to compound errors. It's not a good time to blood youngsters. I do hope that some of our juniors debuting this year are salvageable. But apart from a few gems, they're generally not superstars in the making.
I agree but I worry that Pay can't see that. His theory of putting 50-60 games into them is yesterdays coaching.

The likes of what he's choosing to support like Cogger, Meaney, JMK just don't have "it" now or in 2 seasons time, to anything like what is required for fg and make an appeciable difference to this Club.

That, along with choosing C Smith, starting Elliott and Napa, Tolman's settlers he can't coach out, poor kick offs, not demanding the ball get to R Smith etc etc etc., tells ya that Pay is inferior to all of the other fg coaches.

These are simple, long standing issues that any coach worth their salt would correct even with an average roster.

There's just no excuse that's factual that covers up Pay's coaching deficiencies.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem I see is the young kids we have coming through lack size and confidence. Our side is too small in general. But we don’t have confident kids coming through yet. Someone that comes in and is like Murray, radley, hass, Xerri. They have come in and said it ready and I’ve got the class to show you old *****

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haas
Fifita
staggs
Xerri

Not that it matters but those 3 are leaps and bounds in front of most players we have .. we just can’t seem to get it right . And if we do something still don’t fit..!!

It’s about the team dynamic. And the players playing for their mates and are happy at club land.

We lack big time an we need to get that sorted and find all the right fits and once we gel we we will see positive signs...!!

#payout
It's a thing called synergy. Think of the team, like a machine. When all components match, the system works to its best, even those that are not the most expensive on the market - it just needs everything to bring out the best of what you have. A team where players compliment each others style, know what works, and anticipate breaks and kicks, or where a player needs help in defence, is what makes a team click.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's a thing called synergy. Think of the team, like a machine. When all components match, the system works to its best, even those that are not the most expensive on the market - it just needs everything to bring out the best of what you have. A team where players compliment each others style, know what works, and anticipate breaks and kicks, or where a player needs help in defence, is what makes a team click.
We are rusted on clunky miss timing Datsun 120Y's in that analogy tuned by an ol timer mechanic who doesn't even know what a digital diagnostic computer is let alone......

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the sides with young guns are surrounded by good players. These young guys dont have the weight of the whole clubs expectations on them and can go out and do their jobs. They will have other players help make them look good.

Who is helping Sean Meaney look good?
Who is Sean Meaney?

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis/Cogger or Cogger/Wakeham

Have we ever fielded 2 more inexperienced halves combos?
Off topic but Basball Furies, who is your avatar, at first I thought it was Radar O'Rielly from MASH, then I thought it might be a scene from a war movie, are you willing to divulge and satisfy my curiosity?

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Off topic but Basball Furies, who is your avatar, at first I thought it was Radar O'Rielly from MASH, then I thought it might be a scene from a war movie, are you willing to divulge and satisfy my curiosity?
That’d be “Richard Harrow” from Boardwalk Empire, cracking character...

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Young players need good experienced players and a good coach, we have nothing.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay has made me a hater. Fuck the **** and his shit tactics