Roosters Lead Race for Teen Sensation

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Done Deal

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/11/roosters-beat-rivals-aru-to-sign-talented-teen-half-sam-walker/

Roosters beat rivals, ARU to sign talented teen half
The Roosters have beaten Rugby Australia and NRL rivals to lure one of the game's hottest playmaking talents to Bondi, with Ipswich rookie Sam Walker set to join the premiers on a two-year deal from next season.

Walker is the son of former Broncos half Ben and despite not turning 17 until the end of the week, has fielded serious interest from both codes over the past few months.

The teenage prodigy has been touted as the Roosters' long-term successor to Cooper Cronk's No.7 jumper and NRL.com understands Walker will join the club until the end of 2022 on his new deal.

Walker's current contract with Brisbane lapses at the end of 2019, though neither the Broncos or Roosters have made any official announcement on the youngster's future.

Still just 16 years old, Walker played well beyond his age in steering Queensland's under 18s to a comfortable 34-12 defeat of NSW at Suncorp Stadium last week.

His playmaking promise landed him on the radar of Canterbury, North Queensland and the Gold Coast among other NRL outfits, while Rugby Australia also registered their interest in luring Walker to the 15-man game.

Queensland u18 star Sam Walker.©Scott Davis/NRL Photos
But Walker will now link with the Roosters, with a tour of their facilities earlier this year, followed by breakfast with coach Trent Robinson and star half Luke Keary making a serious impression on the rising teen.

"It was really good to sit down and learn. Trent Robinson is the first head (NRL) coach to speak to me about the way I play and I picked up little tips," Walker told the QRL's website earlier this month.

"Trent is the best coach in the NRL at the moment and it is good to hear from the best. I’ve only ever had my dad and uncle (Shane) correct my game and encourage me how to play, so it was really good to hear his thoughts on how I can become a better player, because I am always learning at the moment.

"I am turning 17 very soon and I know I need to get better and improve.

"I spoke to Luke Keary about how he works with players and gets the best out of them. They have got a really strong team and culture at the Roosters and I picked up on that."

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
16 fmd this will be another career destroyed by bringing a kid into grade way too early and way too young

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How many Harvard degrees have been tossed in?

Roosters are also looking to bring over Kyle Flanagan as well (until Sam Walker is ready).

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Clearly will be brought down to play SG Ball in 2020 before moving onto Jersey Flegg.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Giving a 17yo a huge pay packet can be a disastrous idea. It'll be interesting to see if he goes on to NRL success in a couple of years. But you can almost guarantee that hangers on will be providing plenty of bad influence between now and the time that he's old enough to make the step up. And given that he'll be a long way from parental influence I wonder if things will go pear shaped for him.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well cross this one off the list. Confirmed as signing with the Roosters

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What was Pay's recruiting pitch? Signed nude photos of Adam Elliott?

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kid looks like he weighs 60kg.

Roosters will make sure he eats clen, tren hard.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe if they threw in some baklava it would have sealed the deal. Or a muffin or something!
Meanhile Politis shouts fresh seafood lobster dinners, holidays, & cars with a little somthing extra in the boot..