REBUILD?

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other thing the club spoke about was that they're not going to pay overs for talent like the club has in recent years. Hopefully it avoids situations where we have guys like Williams eating up huge chunks of the cap and doing SFA to justify the investment. That probably means that we will have to wait until a decent list of players in one position are available to chase in that position. Last year a lot of second rowers were available and we picked up CHN. I don't monitor the list of off contract players. But I don't think good outside backs were plentiful at this stage.

I know that plenty of people here just want to whinge regardless of whether the club is making smart decisions. So it's getting tiresome taking the time to point out that few options were available to make huge moves in the player market.
Everyone is available at the right price and with the homesick tag. We just need to find top players homesick for Belmore ;)

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Everyone is available at the right price and with the homesick tag. We just need to find top players homesick for Belmore ;)
Only ones that will be are guys that have gone to England you'd think. We are usually on the other end of the Homesick line.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm wondering what's so hard for people here to fathom. Des stuffed our club up LONG TERM, meaning that w're suffering this shit for the LONG TERM. Now THANKFULLY, we only have to put up for this shit for the rest of this year. Next year (2020) we might not do too well, however, we'll have money to sign good players for 2021. Now if in 2020 we don't sign any good players and show signs of a rebuild, that will be when we should take action against the board, not before. However the board will need to roasted at the election next year and tell us what their plans are for the next term.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So I'm guessing you taste like garlic?[emoji23]
I'm dissapointed with your question, after all these years and so many family BBQ's and picnics together and you're asking if I taste like Garlic, OF COURSE I TASTE LIKE GARLIC CUZ! We eat it by the dozen and I've eaten some with you too. Wahlow cousin..lol

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what's so hard for people here to fathom. Des stuffed our club up LONG TERM, meaning that w're suffering this shit for the LONG TERM. Now THANKFULLY, we only have to put up for this shit for the rest of this year. Next year (2020) we might not do too well, however, we'll have money to sign good players for 2021. Now if in 2020 we don't sign any good players and show signs of a rebuild, that will be when we should take action against the board, not before. However the board will need to roasted at the election next year and tell us what their plans are for the next term.
Yep People want transparency, transparency is given, by advising 2019 and 2020 will be lean years, and then they whinge about conspiracy theories about a hidden pot of gold ..

Welcome to the kennel .. a physchologist would have field day in this place..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well that will be me. I moved out of Belmore 20 years ago and I still call Belmore home even though I've only moved 5 minutes away. But unfortunately I'm too old to play league. I used to play in the centres for St John's Eagles until I copped a hit to my nuts and then Mum pulled me out of playing Rugby League :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that will be me. I moved out of Belmore 20 years ago and I still call Belmore home even though I've only moved 5 minutes away. But unfortunately I'm too old to play league. I used to play in the centres for St John's Eagles until I copped a hit to my nuts and then Mum pulled me out of playing Rugby League :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
You must have been pretty soft mate,toughen up your a bulldog lol

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For the moment I think the club will target promising youth who are ready to step up but are stuck behind established stars like they did with the pair from Newcastle. The chance to move into the NRL can be a decent drawcard and is what I think got Meaney and Cogger here. It might be nice to sign the Pongas and Pearce's, but when players like Meaney and Cogger see their path to promoting closing up it makes them look around for clubs that can offer them a chance. I suspect our board is operating on this idea. If we don't have the money to bring in marquee players right now I'd like to think we can find one or two players that fall down the pecking order due to cashed up clubs spending bigger money on established players.

The old board (dib & co) did the opposite in my opinion. Our club tended to pay for low priority established players under their tenure. But while I was growing up the club generally developed the bulk of our squad and picked up guys who were stuck behind established talent and we thrived by bringing the best out of them.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve heard it from a player manager who is big time that he is avoiding the club all together as it’s a mess. His own words... why would I put my investment (player) in a club no 1 wants to play in.

So a lot on here make sense about us not paying overs for players but it’s looking like the only way we are going to attract 1-2 players and then start stringing some wins together to get players and managers interested in playing for this club again.

Let me tell you we have approached a lot more marquee players then we all know of and all have said no thank you.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For those defending the club and the limited cap space, how can wasting precious money on Napa be justified then? If we are as cap fucked as you say, then it made it even more of a bad decision to rush in to sign a player we didn't need long term on money we couldn't afford to waste.

Was Napa the player that would turn the club around and solve all of our issues? Now that money is locked up for the next two and a half years instead of being able to use it on a young hooker and outside backs who would have greater impact than a prop who plays 45 minutes, makes average metres and gives away too many penalties.

The only great signing they've made so far is CHN. All of the others, Meaney included, haven't convinced yet and haven't done enough to prove that they are the long term solution at their positions.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A
For those defending the club and the limited cap space, how can wasting precious money on Napa be justified then? If we are as cap fucked as you say, then it made it even more of a bad decision to rush in to sign a player we didn't need long term on money we couldn't afford to waste.

Was Napa the player that would turn the club around and solve all of our issues? Now that money is locked up for the next two and a half years instead of being able to use it on a young hooker and outside backs who would have greater impact than a prop who plays 45 minutes, makes average metres and gives away too many penalties.

The only great signing they've made so far is CHN. All of the others, Meaney included, haven't convinced yet and haven't done enough to prove that they are the long term solution at their positions.
agree all this talk about not rushing into signing players and we sign a player like Napa who barely breaks the line. If anything use the money on a Hooker or a play maker or even a centre.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Problem is we needed to sign a replacement for Klemmer, he was going whether we got someone or not. Was it the right choice, time will tell. Personally I think we couldve done alot worse.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As I've said in another thread, if they truly want to rebuild, then don't go half assed and shop around Tolman, Jackson, Hoppa, Holland and Elliott amongst others.

Other clubs would take a chance on those players and think they still have a lot to offer. Tolman, Jackson and Hoppa are held in high regard still around the league. Shedding those contracts could free up another $1.5 million in cap space and only a small percentage would need to be paid by the club to make the deal work, even factoring in back ending etc..

If they want to rebuild, then do it properly to truly turn the club around.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is we needed to sign a replacement for Klemmer, he was going whether we got someone or not. Was it the right choice, time will tell. Personally I think we couldve done alot worse.
Look Napa isn’t the worst player by far but he wasn’t what we needed atm... we needed a replacement for klemmer, a metre eater and a solid defender. Napa isn’t either one of those. His defence is crap and he is more of a impact forward that will play well off the bench.

If we wanted to replace Klem we should have hunted down a player similar to klem. There is to much pressure now on the young pups to make up the work load that klem has left.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

They needed a replacement prop for Klemmer and what other props were on the market at the time? The Roosters were willing to release him and he wanted to sign here so that made him the best option.

Napa was never going to be the player that would turn the club around and I'm not sure why you would think that? Give some examples of young hookers and outside backs that were available when Klemmer left that we could have gotten.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They rushed in to sign Napa to appease the fans that were restless about losing another rep player. But in this instance, patience was needed as we could have gotten by (and have in the games without Napa) with Tolman, Ogden, Fuaolo and even Sue etc...

Considering we still had JMK and Lichaa as our hookers and Holland and Hoppa as our centres, then a prop was not the highest priority.

Now they're preaching patience when they displayed none by signing Napa. As I and many others said at the time, we were better off keeping the roster spot and cap space free for later in the year when plenty of player become available. Now players are available, and we don't have a roster spot or money to sign them! So that's bad management by this regime and has nothing to do with the fuck ups from the previous regime.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll probably get eaten up by many on here but I don’t mind. Yes we have problems in the backs but our main problem is in the forwards. I don’t think we have much grunt up front and it’s the main reason why we’re losing games, especially games against weaker sides. The only forwards I’d keep is Napa, Ogden, Jackson and CHN. We need good quality robust forwards to dominate in the middle to give any chance for our backs to score any points. In the backs id be looking for only two centers. I’d be persisting with Meaney, Okunbor and Smith as our back three, then for 2021 I’d go after a marquee half. The problem is our forwards first before anything. Martin Meh, Tolman Meh, C.Smith meh, Sue Meh, RFM maybe, Elliot Meh. The problem is our forwards first and foremost.
It would be disappointing if we lost RFM, his only problem is that he appears to be either disinterested, badly coached or injured.
I am also concerned about To-Omaga, saw him playing for the junior Kiwis a few years ago thought he was the best player on the field.
They are both big bodies and if they both were on song our forward would be much more formidable.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They needed a replacement prop for Klemmer and what other props were on the market at the time? The Roosters were willing to release him and he wanted to sign here so that made him the best option.

Napa was never going to be the player that would turn the club around and I'm not sure why you would think that? Give some examples of young hookers and outside backs that were available when Klemmer left that we could have gotten.
As I said, we had props to get us by. Napa has made fuck all difference to the performance of our props. For 500k plus, you'd expect some sort of return on your investment. The Roosters never release anyone they don't want to and knew what they were doing.

Any of Robson, Liddle, Brittain, Grant, Smith, Roache or one of the Braileys amongst others could have been recruited for way less than what Napa is on when offered a full time starting role and an increase in salary.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As I said, we had props to get us by. Napa has made fuck all difference to the performance of our props. The Roosters never release anyone they don't want to.

Any of Robson, Liddle, Brittain, Grant, Smith, Roache or one of the Braileys could have been recruited for way less than what Napa is on.
I don't think we do have the props to get us by we needed a replacement. If Napa is the right replacement is a different question but we needed a prop.

Yeah that's fine listing a bunch of hookers but most are contracted and secondly they probably don't want to come here. That is going to be a major issue moving forward.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But while I was growing up the club generally developed the bulk of our squad and picked up guys who were stuck behind established talent and we thrived by bringing the best out of them.
Sounds like what a club down south has done pretty successfully for the last 10 years or so..