REBUILD?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The way I see it. The first thing that the board had to do was become cap compliant. At that time the only way to do so was to release players. Part of the issue they faced was that it was really late in the season and most clubs had used up their salary cap space. So unfortunately I think we had to pay more wages than we'd have liked to move players on. Our signings before we moved on everyone that we did had to be very astute purchases. I think Meaney and Cogger fit the bill in this regard. Chrighton hasn't impressed me yet but he was also a budget buy before we cleared space. I think CHN was our next recruit and should prove to be a good player for us. Sue was a gamble. He still might play his best football for us, but he's far from a polished player.

The main issues we had were
1. We had a limited budget as did other clubs.
2. Most off contract players were not re-signed because they weren't priorities for the clubs they were at.
3. Our production line wasn't in a healthy state, thus we weren't able to promote much quality from within.
4. A number of our off contract players were aging and at a stage where injury concerns could be exacerbated by their age, so the Morris twins for example were a big money gamble.

So our roster quality wasn't going to improve based on both limited budget and the fact that most players with potential were locked up already. The board could either make the choice of short term pain (let our best two backline stars go and hope that the youngsters we promoted to replace them stepped up) Or give the Morris twins longer term contracts which might have blocked the paths of any youngsters that might have become available or improved through the off season.

They opted for the short term pain. We will be able to sign quality sooner because they made that decision. But we're suffering on field this year with an understrength backline. There was no way to sign established quality in the spine on a budget. That really covers the NRL squad.

That leaves the aspects of the rebuild that happens behind the scenes. I touched on the poor position of our production line. And as far as I can see this is the area the new board was able to focus on. We've expanded our junior recruitment prospects by sponsoring a couple of large regional competitions and seem to be clearing the way to improve the coaching and recruitment staff in the lower grades. Because it's quite clear that the youngsters we've promoted aren't quite up to scratch in every position. Ogden has been good for a debutante. But someone like Okunbor has major issues that should have been ironed out during his development.

The approach the board has taken is a long term plan that will give us sustainability in our roster moving forward. Unfortunately in the short term we as fans might not be impressed with our results on game day.

As far as Pays coaching goes. He was not the coach I would have chased. An experienced coach might have been a better bet to combat the inexperience of our roster. But the old board picked him due to the vocal fans screaming loudly that we needed to inject Bulldogs DNA into the position. However in Pays defence, a gameplan can easily go awry if those having to implement it on the field get flustered. Biased refereeing against us hasn't helped at all. And I'm not excusing Pay or the team. But realistically there are rosters packed with talent coached by highly touted coaches who aren't in a much better position in terms of results at this stage.

So to my way of thinking we just have to ride out the year and hope that head office makes some intelligent signings. It's going to take time to bring in talent from 1-17, but hopefully by next year we have a few extra players round that can improve our performance.

It's not fun to watch right now. But we're heading back to the formula that we followed in our golden eras. We need our junior quality to be better when they debut just as much as we need to recruit quality in the short term. There aren't any easy solutions right now. So screaming about things might offer stress relief, but it won't speed up the rebuild.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
thats still cheap ... ...

LOL Hijacked 4 sure ... cant help it ... im a massive rota nut (as the name suggest) ..

just another shit thread anyway
Agree lol...

Yea I was Rota boy for a long time lol, had 2 rx7 series 1, series 5 rx7, 2 rx3 wagons. Rx3, batty and now gone to my evo 9 and s15, more fun lol!! Boosting haha

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The way I see it. The first thing that the board had to do was become cap compliant. At that time the only way to do so was to release players. Part of the issue they faced was that it was really late in the season and most clubs had used up their salary cap space. So unfortunately I think we had to pay more wages than we'd have liked to move players on. Our signings before we moved on everyone that we did had to be very astute purchases. I think Meaney and Cogger fit the bill in this regard. Chrighton hasn't impressed me yet but he was also a budget buy before we cleared space. I think CHN was our next recruit and should prove to be a good player for us. Sue was a gamble. He still might play his best football for us, but he's far from a polished player.

The main issues we had were
1. We had a limited budget as did other clubs.
2. Most off contract players were not re-signed because they weren't priorities for the clubs they were at.
3. Our production line wasn't in a healthy state, thus we weren't able to promote much quality from within.
4. A number of our off contract players were aging and at a stage where injury concerns could be exacerbated by their age, so the Morris twins for example were a big money gamble.

So our roster quality wasn't going to improve based on both limited budget and the fact that most players with potential were locked up already. The board could either make the choice of short term pain (let our best two backline stars go and hope that the youngsters we promoted to replace them stepped up) Or give the Morris twins longer term contracts which might have blocked the paths of any youngsters that might have become available or improved through the off season.

They opted for the short term pain. We will be able to sign quality sooner because they made that decision. But we're suffering on field this year with an understrength backline. There was no way to sign established quality in the spine on a budget. That really covers the NRL squad.

That leaves the aspects of the rebuild that happens behind the scenes. I touched on the poor position of our production line. And as far as I can see this is the area the new board was able to focus on. We've expanded our junior recruitment prospects by sponsoring a couple of large regional competitions and seem to be clearing the way to improve the coaching and recruitment staff in the lower grades. Because it's quite clear that the youngsters we've promoted aren't quite up to scratch in every position. Ogden has been good for a debutante. But someone like Okunbor has major issues that should have been ironed out during his development.

The approach the board has taken is a long term plan that will give us sustainability in our roster moving forward. Unfortunately in the short term we as fans might not be impressed with our results on game day.

As far as Pays coaching goes. He was not the coach I would have chased. An experienced coach might have been a better bet to combat the inexperience of our roster. But the old board picked him due to the vocal fans screaming loudly that we needed to inject Bulldogs DNA into the position. However in Pays defence, a gameplan can easily go awry if those having to implement it on the field get flustered. Biased refereeing against us hasn't helped at all. And I'm not excusing Pay or the team. But realistically there are rosters packed with talent coached by highly touted coaches who aren't in a much better position in terms of results at this stage.

So to my way of thinking we just have to ride out the year and hope that head office makes some intelligent signings. It's going to take time to bring in talent from 1-17, but hopefully by next year we have a few extra players round that can improve our performance.

It's not fun to watch right now. But we're heading back to the formula that we followed in our golden eras. We need our junior quality to be better when they debut just as much as we need to recruit quality in the short term. There aren't any easy solutions right now. So screaming about things might offer stress relief, but it won't speed up the rebuild.
well summarised .. but its getting really tiring explaining to these people, why things have transpired as they have..

Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense can see this..

I guess it doesnt help when people come out and say we wont by signing anyone this offseason .... that just aint true .. we will need to fill our squad and most of those off contract this year, wont be renewed..

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the point is that yes we may have some salary cap relief (meaning we dont have to shed players anymore to be cap compliant) and we do have some funds to buy players but pay has said that they wont be rushed into a decision on buying a player with all that money at the moment. We are betting off to hold onto that money and pick our timing right to make a big play for a game breaker. If we were to hold off and land a big name in 2020 or for 2021 then that can have a positive domino effect with other players wanting to come over and join (look at the knights for example). Its not where we want to be but spending what little of the cap we have on a few 'maybes' isnt going to get us anywhere

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Ha we aren't even in the rebuild phase yet. We've just been hollowed out.

Dakdah

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We really don't have Jack shit the team will basically the same side as this year. We really won't have money freed up until 2021. 2020 is the end of all the shitting contracts.

Canterbury Bulldogs

Player Contracted seasons
Fa'amanu Brown 2019
Jack Cogger 2019 2020
Christian Crichton 2019 2020 2021
Adam Elliott 2019 2020
Raymond Faitala-Mariner 2019 2020
Kieran Foran 2019 2020
Danny Fualalo 2019
Corey Harawira-Naera 2019 2020 2021 2022
Kerrod Holland 2019 2020
Will Hopoate 2019 2020
Josh Jackson 2019 2020
Lachlan Lewis 2019 2020
Michael Lichaa 2019
Jeremy Marshall-King 2019 2020
Rhyse Martin 2019
Nick Meaney 2019 2020 2021
Marcelo Montoya 2019 2020
Dylan Napa 2019 2020 2021
Ofahiki Ogden 2019 2020 2021
Jayden Okunbor 2019 2020 2021
John Olive 2019
Zac Saddler 2019
Chris Smith 2019 2020
Reimis Smith 2019 2020
Sauaso Sue 2019 2020
Aiden Tolman 2019 2020
Renouf To'omaga 2019 2020
Francis Tualau 2019
Brandon Wakeham 2019 2020
How is this team taking up our cap? It shouldn’t take up half our cap! shaking My head

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I honestly think that any decent player they have approached has said no and they don't want us to know.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
have u seen the price of them lately :astonished:..

I sold a genuine rx3 coupe 13bt for 26k just before the boom :sleepy:
All the old school beasts are expensive as fuck now.

Mate just bought a stock 82 VB Commodore 4.2L - $16k

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
All the old school beasts are expensive as fuck now.

Mate just bought a stock 82 VB Commodore 4.2L - $16k
VC is my favourite of all the Commodores .. theres a HDT model that has red and black pin stripping that i absolutely love.. i wish i had one

upload_2019-5-30_19-31-6.png

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I couldnt afford one mate, Ill stick with my povo Corolla's
Fair enough, but hey, I like my evo 9 better than my rx3, way faster, 4wd, mivec motor And was same price ish. Better value for money than a rotor.

More reliable that’s for damn sure lol.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You’re all so slack and mean to dean gay. I mean he is trying his best. What more can we ask for? He is also so nice to his players. I don’t get what you people want from him.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
well summarised .. but its getting really tiring explaining to these people, why things have transpired as they have..

Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense can see this..

I guess it doesnt help when people come out and say we wont by signing anyone this offseason .... that just aint true .. we will need to fill our squad and most of those off contract this year that wont be renewed..
Yeh, I’m with you guys. I’ve heard a similar thing.

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i think the point is that yes we may have some salary cap relief (meaning we dont have to shed players anymore to be cap compliant) and we do have some funds to buy players but pay has said that they wont be rushed into a decision on buying a player with all that money at the moment. We are betting off to hold onto that money and pick our timing right to make a big play for a game breaker. If we were to hold off and land a big name in 2020 or for 2021 then that can have a positive domino effect with other players wanting to come over and join (look at the knights for example). Its not where we want to be but spending what little of the cap we have on a few 'maybes' isnt going to get us anywhere
If you have a spare $500k to spend this year and it’s not used it doesn’t accumulate a give you extra next year. If more cap space is coming in 2020 we could still sign the player they are supposedly after in that year.
How about signing someone like Segearo for 2019 only, that could have helped

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is this team taking up our cap? It shouldn’t take up half our cap! shaking My head
I've been asking that same question! We have the youngest and most inexperienced team in the comp.... which means if we don't wake up as a club we're going tho suck for a long long time, because if we take this team into the next 3 years to 5 years hoping they're going to be successful, then we need psychiatric assistance! Because unless it's due to poor coaching, we also have the least talented roster in the competition by a very far, far distance.