Nick Meaney and support play

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He has quite a bit to learn in terms of his positional and support play in attack. But he’s safe and puts himself in the right spots in defence. He’s off to a really good start in his career.
For kick returns, his positional play is excellent, I watched him closely yesterday and only 1 time he got slightly caught out and couldn’t get to the kick and let it bounce, it was when Cogger then went for it and took a knock.

As you mentioned, I think it’s his attack where he needs some polish, hopefully as his fitness improves and just his alround game in the NRL, that he starts shining there.

Remember, he only played a handful of games in the top grade last year and didn’t start with us in the top grade for a few rounds so is probably nervous about holding down the spot as well.

Some really good signs though...

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you off your meds again?

Calling me a ****? No wonder you spend more time on the sidelines on here than most...

Dude, I will tell you since I’ve joined this “community” (probably before you were born), I’ve never resulted to being a prick to any posters, a debate that can get heated, I get that as we’re passionate, but calling me a **** proves just how much of a douche you are.
Nas was deffs either a winger before wingers were important either that or picked last in every team

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nas was deffs either a winger before wingers were important either that or picked last in every team
I like what he does for us but would line him to run a bit harder into tackles to see if can break through he seems to slow up before his tackled. If he does break the tackle say goodbye try time

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
i keep saying it but my posts kep getting deleted on it but Meaney isnt what we need at the back right now, hes an up and comer and we need someone whos o his game. Its what the team demands because we are largely inexperienced. For Meaney, likewise he would develop better woth a team on their game.
Swap him for Latrell at the roosters. Roosters need salary cap relief and Meaney is high reward and low risk for them, and we can throw 800k at Latrell and have him at the back.
If thats too costly, there is one man internally we can use that was a sensation in NSW cup and isnt in the starting side. See my profile pic.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He needs to find a way to utiltize his pace. Nasheed.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He needs to find a way to utiltize his pace. Nasheed.
He does need to use his pace. But having Hopoate as the only option to pass to is going to stifle any movement.
Theres a need for speed in the centres, as well as having someone who can tackle.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He does need to use his pace. But having Hopoate as the only option to pass to is going to stifle any movement.
Theres a need for speed in the centres, as well as having someone who can tackle.
Seriously, you are blaming Hopoate for Meaney not chiming in. Of course, he can't possible pass the ball to Smith, or Okunbor or Montoya. Equally obviously he can't possibly chime in anywhere else on the field, like up the middle for example. Finishing off his own moves and actually scoring a try himself isn't on the cards either I suppose.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meaney is eight games in and still hasn't scored. He hasn't had one line break all season either. He's only had one try assist. Those are alarming stats for a fullback.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meaney is eight games in and still hasn't scored. He hasn't had one line break all season either. He's only had one try assist. Those are alarming stats for a fullback.
What about when he broke the line against the Tigers? Watch the game instead of going through stats and making a judgement.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What about when he broke the line against the Tigers? Watch the game instead of going through stats and making a judgement.
I have watched all of the games unfortunately. The stats back up my concerns about his game right now. Statistically that wasn't recorded as a line break. And even if it was, that means he's had 1 in 8 games, and that was his first game. I've been supportive of Meaney and am not writing him off, but those are ugly stats.

It shows that either he isn't playing up to his potential yet or isn't being used properly. Or both.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I brought all this up literally week 2 or 3 and was obliterated by most here.

His issue is fitness. He's trying to do the minimum as he's afraid it will effect his defensive reliability, which admittedly has been really good.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If the our recruitment is going to be pro active they should be targeting papenhowzen or what ever his name is from storm ..

The storm can’t keep everyone and there are 2 quality fullbacks they have in their books jostling for that 1 position ..

If we wanted a safe fullback , hoppa fills that slot but hoppa is also creative and gets us moving forward ..

Watching Meaney is frustrating , run and surround in tackle , never looks like beating his man , bad positional play in the backline and has limited ball playing and vision , no where to be seen sniffing around the ruck in attack against tired defenders

Pass on Meaney

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I reckon Papenhuzen could have been had before the season with how high they were on Drinkwater and Hughes but now they won't let him go.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be bailing on Meaney just yet, there’s upshot in his game he just needs to back himself

It’s all mentality (needs to be stronger)

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have watched all of the games unfortunately. The stats back up my concerns about his game right now. Statistically that wasn't recorded as a line break. And even if it was, that means he's had 1 in 8 games, and that was his first game. I've been supportive of Meaney and am not writing him off, but those are ugly stats.

It shows that either he isn't playing up to his potential yet or isn't being used properly. Or both.
Did you Look at his stats for bomb defusals, tries saved, good positioning and compare to other fullbacks or just focus on the 2 stats that fuel your agenda?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
i feel like he is putting a far greater emphasis on defence atm , probably as a result of instructions..

We saw his attacking ability at the knights , its there, we are just not seeing it atm..

There was one time on teh weekend that he did actually run a great line unfortunately Foran looked the wrong way.. otherwise it would have been try time..

His Kick position is already miles ahead of hopoate and he is often making tackles in teh defensive line on our try line..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did you Look at his stats for bomb defusals, tries saved, good positioning and compare to other fullbacks or just focus on the 2 stats that fuel your agenda?
I don't have an agenda. I've mentioned countless times how good he's been in that area. That doesn't change the fact that we've seen next to no production from him in attack.

Hopefully we see that soon because we've been waiting for his breakout for weeks and thought that the Titans game was the perfect opportunity.