Other News Source Raymond Faitala-Mariner

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Don't we already have money to spend this season? They've let go of all of our rep players and losing Klemmer was supposed to leave us with cap space this season...

Plus no one released mid season is ever signed on big money, they're usually squad players or younger players looking for an opportunity.
Yeah that has been said by some people on here for sure....and we should have some. The game is changing every year in that soon we may see better players looking for that June 30 change over? Anyways maybe we are stockpiling the money because we will need to pay hefty "overs" to actually convince anyone half decent? The board is quiet, the people on this site that are in the "know" are quiet about signings which on top of dropping games every week is really demoralising moving forward and trying to cling onto hope. Add interesting team selections to the mix and it feels like we are regressing..... Trying to stay positive here but need a bone to help!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't we already have money to spend this season? They've let go of all of our rep players and losing Klemmer was supposed to leave us with cap space this season...

Plus no one released mid season is ever signed on big money, they're usually squad players or younger players looking for an opportunity.
no point having money available if you have no more spots available in the top 30

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not really that fussed RFM hasn’t really lived up to the hype. He’s been here 3 years and you still trying to find his way in NRL. In saying that I’d rather keep him over Elliot.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I’m not really that fussed RFM hasn’t really lived up to the hype. He’s been here 3 years and you still trying to find his way in NRL. In saying that I’d rather keep him over Elliot.
It's not losing RFM that chuffs me, to me he's like Elliott....a meh player. it's always losing players and never some coming in. We are already a reserve grade team at best. I think the club are struggling to convince anyone to come to the dogs myself.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
no point having money available if you have no more spots available in the top 30
For sure. But couldn't they just release Olive or move on serious dead weight like Lichaa instead?

Again, RFM isn't brilliant but he is a NZ rep player who just last year was one of our most promising players and he hasn't had much of a chance this year due to injuries and not being selected.

I wouldn't care if we released RFM if we didn't have chumps like Elliott playing 60-80 minutes every week when he's not even a first grader. The favouritism by Pay is worse than Des and just like with Des, it will end up setting the club back a few more years.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not losing RFM that chuffs me, to me he's like Elliott....a meh player. it's always losing players and never some coming in. We are already a reserve grade team at best. I think the club are struggling to convince anyone to come to the dogs myself.
I agree it is going to be interesting to see who they bring in I don't think we actually need to replace RFM if we re-sign Martin but other positions need players for sure. I can only see us getting players other teams don't want unless we pay huge overs.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm ok if we get a player we would beijng straight into starting team as they are significantly better then what we have in that position.

A replacement back rower is not the answer. Hooker or in the 3/4 line.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
For sure. But couldn't they just release Olive or move on serious dead weight like Lichaa instead?

Again, RFM isn't brilliant but he is a NZ rep player who just last year was one of our most promising players and he hasn't had much of a chance this year due to injuries and not being selected.

I wouldn't care if we released RFM if we didn't have chumps like Elliott playing 60-80 minutes every week when he's not even a first grader. The favouritism by Pay is worse than Des and just like with Des, it will end up setting the club back a few more years.
That's the problem with our players, no-one wants them. RFM probably shows some promise to decent proven coaches and as everyone knows Lichaa has nothing. Our deadwood stretches to the roots and wasn't just our so called top players.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

can't release players that teams don't want.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

No one wants Olive or Lichaa that is why they are still here and they aren't going to give up a $100k+ pay packet when its more then likely the last time in their life they are going to get paid that amount.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

i dont think everyone understands the act of "releasing a Player".. for starters another club needs to want that player.. whos gonna want olive?? and yes you can pay him out and send him on his way, but i sure the NRL have strict anti tampering laws when it comes to releasing a top 30 player..

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
seems an odd way to do business, sign what many thought were too many backrowers when it was clear other positions were a priority to now be looking to move a few on. I have no insight into the club so am hoping they have some decent replacements lined up if this is the case

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm fine with this. Seems like 2019 is the year we get rid of a lot of dead wood and better utilise our cap spending.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm fine with this. Seems like 2019 is the year we get rid of a lot of dead wood and better utilise our cap spending.
All our deadwood is still here, I wouldn't classify rfm as deadwood

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's what I meant regarding Olive. He'd be on near minimum wage so releasing/cutting him wouldn't cause cap issues. If it creates a roster spot, then having 100k in dead space for the rest of the year is worth it.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's what I meant regarding Olive. He'd be on near minimum wage so releasing him wouldn't cause cap issues. If it creates a roster spot, then having 100k in dead space for the rest of the year is worth it.
and that what im saying, theres more than likely an anti tampering law that does not allow you to do that, otherwise im sure it would have been done.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
and that what im saying, theres more than likely an anti tampering law that does not allow you to do that, otherwise im sure it would have been done.
I'm not sure what the rule is, but I don't see why there would be an issue with this? If the player gets paid out and that figure stays in the cap for the duration of the deal then who is it harming?

All this does is show how flawed the top 30 system is.