Souths and their salary Cap

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just wondering, the NRL Admin favourites Souths have some fine talent in their ranks already as I am not privy to what these guys cost just wonder with inglis gone has the NRL already said his wages are taken from their cap.
The likes of Burgess brothers,Gagai,Walker,Reynolds,Cook,Sutton just a few I guess are on decent coin.
Now its been said that they are after Roberts from Broncos and talk their interested in Latrell Mitchell.
Guess i am a little sus on how they fit these guys in. I hope Souths are being watched yet somehow with all the precious treatment they have received with Inglis and Burgess not sure they are. Just confirms my opinion that all NRL teams are not treated fairly. Maybe the NRL will just wait like they usually do from a tip off and just fine them if they are over. just pay the fine no probs.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You said it yourself, if the NRL allow Inglis' salary to be exempt then they wont come down on them or look into their books.

The Tigers got a massive cap fine and their CEO banned for the exact same thing with Farah but for Souths they get all the money they want to play with and zero scrutiny or punishment.

This is even more proof that Greenberg plays favourites and I'm stunned that all of the others clubs that aren't the Rorters, Sharks, Souths, Brisbane and now Newcastle don't all band together and say enough is enough.

It's disgraceful what the cartel clubs get away with and the punishments the other clubs cop... This is the most corrupt sporting competition outside of South American or Middle Eastern football..

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With the Inglis thing I think the NRL will most likely include whatever GI is now being paid by South's in his coaching role (say 400K per year) and the rest will be freed up. IMO that's the fairest outcome for all parties. We'll see I guess.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Clubs don’t do themselves any favours but making things less obvious.

I remember Melbourne in the midst of cheating the cap and there team was stacked with rep players were looking to sign Willie Mason when he was still a gun.

At that stage everyone knew they were taking the piss.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering, the NRL Admin favourites Souths have some fine talent in their ranks already as I am not privy to what these guys cost just wonder with inglis gone has the NRL already said his wages are taken from their cap.
The likes of Burgess brothers,Gagai,Walker,Reynolds,Cook,Sutton just a few I guess are on decent coin.
Now its been said that they are after Roberts from Broncos and talk their interested in Latrell Mitchell.
Guess i am a little sus on how they fit these guys in. I hope Souths are being watched yet somehow with all the precious treatment they have received with Inglis and Burgess not sure they are. Just confirms my opinion that all NRL teams are not treated fairly. Maybe the NRL will just wait like they usually do from a tip off and just fine them if they are over. just pay the fine no probs.
Cody walker, sutton, and the two burgess brothers twins are not getting what u think. Sutton is not on much this year he was last sighned up. Walker is only on 500 and the twins 400 each.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You said it yourself, if the NRL allow Inglis' salary to be exempt then they wont come down on them or look into their books.

The Tigers got a massive cap fine and their CEO banned for the exact same thing with Farah but for Souths they get all the money they want to play with and zero scrutiny or punishment.

This is even more proof that Greenberg plays favourites and I'm stunned that all of the others clubs that aren't the Rorters, Sharks, Souths, Brisbane and now Newcastle don't all band together and say enough is enough.

It's disgraceful what the cartel clubs get away with and the punishments the other clubs cop... This is the most corrupt sporting competition outside of South American or Middle Eastern football..
Not exact same thing as tigs. Robbie is still playing, inglis is drinking beers.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Souths approached the NRL in regards to Inglis's position after football, when Inglis announced he was retiring before bringing it forwards.
Tigers just did it and expected it'd be okay and they wouldn't get caught, and did so to top up Robbies salary whilst he played (in doing so avoiding it being counted in the cap).

Big difference between the two scenarios.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Souths approached the NRL in regards to Inglis's position after football, when Inglis announced he was retiring before bringing it forwards.
Tigers just did it and expected it'd be okay and they wouldn't get caught, and did so to top up Robbies salary whilst he played (in doing so avoiding it being counted in the cap).

Big difference between the two scenarios.
But the end result is the same. Both were to be paid for roles after they retire and not counted towards the cap.

They said no to the Tigers but yes to Souths.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
But the end result is the same. Both were to be paid for roles after they retire and not counted towards the cap.

They said no to the Tigers but yes to Souths.
Tigers did it without asking, and Farah has continued playing for the team despite this agreement. Hence the problem.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tigers did it without asking, and Farah has continued playing for the team despite this agreement. Hence the problem.
I see your point but my point is that both arrangements are ways of circumventing the salary cap. You can't approve one and not the other. They both should be disallowed as both arrangements are shady as fuck and open up a can of worms.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see your point but my point is that both arrangements are ways of circumventing the salary cap. You can't approve one and not the other. They both should be disallowed as both arrangements are shady as fuck and open up a can of worms.
With greg there was no agreement until he decided to retire regarding a contract after football i was led to believe. Tigs did a contract with farah while he still contracted and playing as a player, sweetening his salary to play. Tigs just went about it the wrong way. Even if souths were always gonna give greg a job. It wasnt a drawn up contract which is viewed as intising players to play now for less. Cheating the cap. Souths won't get all his cap money this year. Tigs just technically done it wrong to say... not so much souths are cheating. Well thats what they want us to believe anyway.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
By allowing the Souths / Inglis deal to happen in whatever respects they do, either including the full value of his salary in the cap, partial or none, the NRL continue to make it up as they go.
They will set a dangerous precedent.
What's to stop us saying Keiran Foran is retiring, forfeiting his salary, we're going to give him a cushy job and an office on a fraction of his salary previously under the cap, and wow, now we have an extra million to spend all of a sudden.
Same with Brisbane and Darius Boyd.
A few years ago Matai and Stewart retired on medical grounds and the NRL ensured those salaries were included in Manly's cap. Similar with Watmough at the Eels, although there was some kind of dispute around insurance with that one.
While all these situations differ to a degree, the NRL needs to be careful in how they go about things or it opens the door to future cap rorts.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With greg there was no agreement until he decided to retire regarding a contract after football i was led to believe. Tigs did a contract with farah while he still contracted and playing as a player, sweetening his salary to play. Tigs just went about it the wrong way. Even if souths were always gonna give greg a job. It wasnt a drawn up contract which is viewed as intising players to play now for less. Cheating the cap. Souths won't get all his cap money this year. Tigs just technically done it wrong to say... not so much souths are cheating. Well thats what they want us to believe anyway.
As I said earlier, it sets a dangerous precedent that clubs will exploit and no doubt if a similar situation arises with lesser clubs, I'm sure the NRL won't be as co-operative..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Well I don't think Beattie and Greenberg are going to be around much longer anyway.

If the NRL lose the Jack De Belin case, you'd have to say Beattie and Greenberg are gone. Heck Beattie tweeted some shit the other day which directly conflicted with what Greenberg said under oath in court on the matter (that JDB's incident had impacted the game). Meanwhile Beattie tweets that ratings and game is up 2-4%, etc etc.

If they lose the legal costs are said to be close to half a million already. Add to that compensation the NRL will owe Dragons. Add to that every other player suspended being allowed back (including Hayne), all with valid contract claims against NRL for lost wages/opportunity. The NRL would be lucky to to escape with anything less than $750k I reckon.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cody walker, sutton, and the two burgess brothers twins are not getting what u think. Sutton is not on much this year he was last sighned up. Walker is only on 500 and the twins 400 each.
And you'd hardly being paying decent dollars for Mark Nicholas or Kyle Turner. Add Braidon Burns cause he was very ordinary up until this year. Dogs supporters have warped views of player values because we (under the old regime) paid massive overs e.g. 300,000 a season for 3 years to Brad Abbey-a kid straight out of 20s who was hot and cold in that comp. Should have been on 100000 a season at absolute max, but not at the Dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of Souths:
Adam Doueihi, Cody Walker, Adam Reynolds. Doueihi is due back from injury soon.

3 halves into 2 positions will never work, and I highly doubt any 3 want to waste in reserve grade. All signed up too ... Walker till end of 2020, the other two till end of 2021.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Appreciate the comments on here. I started this thread to get some info on souths and would rather hear it from TK than rely on the crap media. Good stuff

Last edited:

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of Souths:
Adam Doueihi, Cody Walker, Adam Reynolds. Doueihi is due back from injury soon.

3 halves into 2 positions will never work, and I highly doubt any 3 want to waste in reserve grade. All signed up too ... Walker till end of 2020, the other two till end of 2021.
Yeah they will use young adam off the bench for another season or two. Plus injuries, he will get plenty of footy.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you'd hardly being paying decent dollars for Mark Nicholas or Kyle Turner. Add Braidon Burns cause he was very ordinary up until this year. Dogs supporters have warped views of player values because we (under the old regime) paid massive overs e.g. 300,000 a season for 3 years to Brad Abbey-a kid straight out of 20s who was hot and cold in that comp. Should have been on 100000 a season at absolute max, but not at the Dogs
Pretty bad hey when we were paying about 5 of our forwards, the same amount as the twins get between them. Good stuff des ya fucking pelican.