Consolidated Dogs Salary Cap Situation Thread (including news articles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountMontoya

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am definitely downgrading to a non ticketed membership next year. I refuse to put myself through the pain of attending games when there is no hope :(
dont come back when the team is good again

shit fan

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There would be standard stipulations in the contracts that vacate responsibility from the NRL. Just like when you engage with advisors, you will have an extremely hard time suing them because of these. They make sure to relinquish responsibility.
off course my point is they should be preventing these problems not allowing them to happen.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
off course my point is they should be preventing these problems not allowing them to happen.
Well I think we technically haven’t breached the cap. Numerous clubs make minor breaches every year, I don’t think the NRL is involved in overseeing the details of contracts. Only in special circumstances

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The NRL only makes sure we are cap compliant. It is the club’s responsibility that the cap is spent wisely. Its like blaming a bank for loaning the money to a business that has gone bankrupt.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

shit fan
Whatever man, I don't mind supporting us when we lose, but this current situation is appalling. Just look at the crowd numbers anyway, they are WAY down so you basically think most fans are shit fans.

If you continue to go to games when we are playing such boring footy, all power to you. I want to actually enjoy my downtime though.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever man, I don't mind supporting us when we lose, but this current situation is appalling. Just look at the crowd numbers anyway, they are WAY down so you basically think most fans are shit fans.

If you continue to go to games when we are playing such boring footy, all power to you. I want to actually enjoy my downtime though.
Most fans are shit fans, its a ridiculous culture that exist in Australia and especially sydney to only go watch your team play when they are going well

Club is fucked because of decision made by a few who are no longer there but i'll still be there when ever i can and those of us are gonna enjoy the fuck out of the few wins we do get when they happen, likely inspired by guys like jacko and klem who absolutely deserve our support

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL only makes sure we are cap compliant. It is the club’s responsibility that the cap is spent wisely. Its like blaming a bank for loaning the money to a business that has gone bankrupt.
generally agree but i will say, i don't think we should even have been able to sign a contract with foz and woods until we were cap compliant.

what if the abbey, graham, lee etc moves fell through ? we just tell woods &/or foran sorry can't register that now, you'll have to go back on the open market when teams have already spent the majority of their cap and you have no chance at getting what you may have 4 months ago. that would have been grossly unfair. we took players off the market when we didn't have the cap space to do it, that simply shouldn't be allowed imo

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

shit fan
Not really like most of us we have probably spent our fare share on memberships merch and what not over the years, im not the only one here who is probably ready to give up on the nrl altogether so whats better someone giving up altogether and never giving the dogs another cent , or someone backing of for a while having a break for a few months a year or whatever then pumping more money into a club. Its been well over a decade since our last victory and we are still here in some way or another thats hardly being a shit fan.
If you choose to attend every game during these shit years more power to you , but its a bit harsh calling someone a shit fan for backing off a bit.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not really like most of us we have probably spent our fare share on memberships merch and what not over the years, im not the only one here who is probably ready to give up on the nrl altogether so whats better someone giving up altogether and never giving the dogs another cent , or someone backing of for a while having a break for a few months a year or whatever then pumping more money into a club. Its been well over a decade since our last victory and we are still here in some way or another thats hardly being a shit fan.
If you choose to attend every game during these shit years more power to you , but its a bit harsh calling someone a shit fan for backing off a bit.
You’re not a shit fan

I might can my membership too for all the sleepless nights watching this rabble we call a footy team

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i understand the club is responsible and have never said otherwise. if the NRL makes sure we are cap compliant then i must be on another planet. We are in a mess because they make sure we are cap compliant so basically they wait till we breach the cap and then its too late. Why not prevent this from happening?? saves everyone distress. I have no issue at all with what your saying just i would prefer to prevent a heart attack then wait for one to hit me.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i understand the club is responsible and have never said otherwise. if the NRL makes sure we are cap compliant then i must be on another planet. We are in a mess because they make sure we are cap compliant so basically they wait till we breach the cap and then its too late. Why not prevent this from happening?? saves everyone distress. I have no issue at all with what your saying just i would prefer to prevent a heart attack then wait for one to hit me.
The NRL should have flagged us on it

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Honestly while most of us would say this is a BAD thing as we will lose quality players ...think about this we are currently second last and in our side currently have these so called quality players, so to me if we are to only have lower grade players and young up and comers in the next couple of years, I say bring it on because at least these new players will play hard and hopefully play with some passion as they want to make a name for themselves in FG. Think it could be an upside for us, it reminds me when we had a new side in the early 2000's and them players back then were no names but eventually they all played well together and we became a heavy weight side and even won a comp. in 04 ... so lets just remain positive my fellow blue and white supporters I know it is hard (believe me I know) but you know what they say, we are rock bottom atm but the only way now is UP and UP and UP ... lol
What no name side in the early 2000's? We got done for the salary cap in '02. We still had some stars back then. Mason, SBW and Thurston then came along. This is way different. We rarely went 2 years without contending since the late 70's. Not many lean periods like this. After this year that will be 2 years out of the finals and realistically 4 years without contending. That number could go as high as 7 or 8 years. We need to be very careful that we just accept a slow rebuild. Rebuilds don't have to be slow, they can be done much quicker with the right people in charge. Lets hope Anderson and crew are those right people.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To some fans this is still Pays fault....clueless
I don't recall seeing anyone say its Pay's fault. But don't let the truth get in the way of what you might think is an amusing post.

From what I have seen, most of Pay's detractors aren't blaming him for the clubs plight, but are wondering if he is the right man to get us out of it. Remember he has no experience as a head coach. Would poaching or attracting an experienced head coach be the way to go just to get us out of this hole? (Yes I know Hasler was an experienced coach)

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
LOL who wrote this bullshit....

I may get called out here for not knowing much, but one thing I know almost 100%, is that no journo has a CLUE how much:
a) a player is being paid.
b) a club has in their salary cap.

I happen to be friends with an ex NRL players brother. His actual price tag when playing was 50% LESS than every single journo was claiming.
Journos do that to get big headlines for AD clicks. Sometimes yes they are right in terms of players moving clubs (they had Reynolds/Graham/Mbye/Woods all correct) but in terms of the cap its almost always exagerrated. If they really did know, then that means they know the clubs caps in more detail than the actual NRL....which is obviously wrong.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Most fans are shit fans, its a ridiculous culture that exist in Australia and especially sydney to only go watch your team play when they are going well

Club is fucked because of decision made by a few who are no longer there but i'll still be there when ever i can and those of us are gonna enjoy the fuck out of the few wins we do get when they happen, likely inspired by guys like jacko and klem who absolutely deserve our support
I don't agree. Its not the losing that fans dislike its the style of play for one, and the fact we just let go of some of the favourite players in the club all at once. The exodus is mind boggling. Hard to engage in the way we play. I would cop it if we were an exciting team to watch and were getting beat. But going to the game (and I haven't been to many this year) I know what we will dish up. A little like the Socceroos, its like we play to not lose.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Journos do that to get big headlines for AD clicks. Sometimes yes they are right in terms of players moving clubs (they had Reynolds/Graham/Mbye/Woods all correct) but in terms of the cap its almost always exagerrated. If they really did know, then that means they know the clubs caps in more detail than the actual NRL....which is obviously wrong.
I think the journos know a lot more than you think. We were leaking badly last year. The media knew everything before we did. I would not be surprised if certain ex employees/directors were feeding this media frenzy.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay is still shit tbh
Ok give me your 17 to play this week with our shit roster.

Go ahead, show me a better team. I sure as hell cant think of one better. Swap a few players here and there...but by and large we cant do much more.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The NRL should have flagged us on it
Stop blaming the nrl. Why arent other clubs crying about this same situation? Our club alone did this. It's called greed. They went all out to win and save their jobs and they lost. Now we the fans have to pay.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What no name side in the early 2000's? We got done for the salary cap in '02. We still had some stars back then. Mason, SBW and Thurston then came along. This is way different. We rarely went 2 years without contending since the late 70's. Not many lean periods like this. After this year that will be 2 years out of the finals and realistically 4 years without contending. That number could go as high as 7 or 8 years. We need to be very careful that we just accept a slow rebuild. Rebuilds don't have to be slow, they can be done much quicker with the right people in charge. Lets hope Anderson and crew are those right people.
2008 rebuild didnt take long

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
2008 rebuild didnt take long
That was Greenburg. I know we won the spoon in '08 but we didn't have salary cap issues. Therefore we just went out and bought Kimmorley, Ennis, Hannant, Stagg and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.