Ennis savages Dogs. Questions Mbye release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
His arguement is that "we should hang onto Mbye because he can score you points", whilst "shopping around players that other teams actually want".

But it's a kinda dumb statement as other teams wanted Mbye, and Klemmer (etc) can score you points and create opportunities.

For example: In 14 games at fullback, Mbye has scored 3 tries. 2 tries vs Panthers and the one last week. That's an average of one try every 4.6 games.

Compared to Lolohea who scores one try every 5.6 games at fullback.
Compared to Tuivasa-Sheck who scores one try every 2.8 games at fullback. However this year he has only scored one try every 5 games.

So Mbye at fullback does appear to be an attacking weapon, BUT compare him to Corey Thompson.

Corey Thompson at fullback for the Tigers this year has scored 3 tries in 8 games, averaging one try every 2.6 games.

So Corey Thompson is WAY outperforming Mbye at fullback these days.

For the Bulldogs, was Mbye an attacking weapon ?? .. well not really.
Hoppa has the same stats as Mbye (one try every 4.6 games).
JMoz has one try every 1.8 games, and BMoz one try every 2.1 games.
Heck even Adam Elliott has a strike rate of one try every 3 games.
Martin and Matt Frawley, one try every 4 games. Olive one try in three games.

Mbye is way down the list of attacking players after BMoz, JMoz, Olive, Frawley, Martin, Elliott and Hoppa.

Therefore for his wage, he's actually quite poor compared to other players strike rates over the line.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What he is saying is we have all our cash tied up in lumbering forwards who can't make a difference and if we are going to get rid of someone it should be them rather than someone who can make a difference and on this point I agree with him. it's not about whether the forwards are any good in their chosen positions (which they are) it's about creating the opportunity to score points. One or two less forwards and one or two creative halves/backs and we are a totally different side. I wouldn't go looking for Klemm or Jacko to go but I wouldn't cry if it worked out we acquired creativity like a Munster or Morgan type because of it.
He wasn’t speaking about us signing other players, I don’t think. I think he was talking specifically about us letting Mbye go rather than certain players.

I know we need creativity, but in all honesty, our team is going to take a little rebuilding. I think Klem in particular is essential. Not many produce his go forward and if we let go of some of these so called lumbering forwards, I think it seriously limits our go forward.... even the best spine needs a platform to build off.

In Mbye’s case, I think he clearly has talent, but he was also on overs and was apparently more willing to go. Klemmer snd Jacko are both really passionate and put in for us. I think they are the type of players we need to build around. I think if we let go of key forwards to sign a gun spine it’s only going to lead to problems with both our pack and team harmony.

I can definitely see the other side of the argument. We do need creative players. I think but has plenty of upside and am sorry to see him go. But I think the current admin is kinda between a rock and a hard place and these decisions aren’t as straight forward as Mick makes them out to be....

I’m not happy to see Mbye go, but it annoys me when people take what I see as potshots from outside looking in. Building around our forwards and trying to buy up and coming spine players and develop them seems the best course of action to me. Having said that, I can only hope the club is making the right moves and signing the right talent to develop for the future.

I think it’s going to be a long couple of years and will seem even longer with Mick and other media analysts criticising us at every turn. The sad reality is as long as we have players like Foran chewing up so much cap, we’re always going to be lacking somewhere and forced to make difficult decisions.

Whose yo say we won’t have to make other tough decisions in the future? It sucks to be in this position, that’s for sure.

Grechy21

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should of signed Hodkinson when he was going cheap. Him and Foran would work well together

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He was making a point,
He wasn’t literally saying we should let Klemmer go,
He was using Klemmer and Jacko and woods and Tolman and Eastwood as examples

His point was
We are strong in the forwards
We are shit in the spin
Mbye is the only spine player offering anything

Why let him go,

Free up cap space by letting go a forward not a spine player

That was his point,

Pretty simple really
Not hard to understand and completely legitimate point to make
Lol he specifically focused on Klemmer and Jackson.... two of our best contributors this year.... because they can attract strong offers on the open market whereas other players you mention either wouldn’t attract offers or wouldn’t command so much and clear up as much cap space.... I think he was being pretty damn literal in singling out those players... I just think he’s simplifying difficult decisions because he can. He’s in the media and not in the position of being under pressure to make the right decisions.

I understand his point. It’s very clear. It’s his tone I don’t like....if we take a wrecking ball to our forward pack to sign a ready made spine, or retain players who are talented but on overs and willing to make the move in Mbye’s case, we’d only be trading one problem for another one imo.

Eastwood isn’t even contracted beyond this year, so offloading him won’t ckeat up any force for us beyond this year, anyway.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His arguement is that "we should hang onto Mbye because he can score you points", whilst "shopping around players that other teams actually want".

But it's a kinda dumb statement as other teams wanted Mbye, and Klemmer (etc) can score you points and create opportunities.

For example: In 14 games at fullback, Mbye has scored 3 tries. 2 tries vs Panthers and the one last week. That's an average of one try every 4.6 games.

Compared to Lolohea who scores one try every 5.6 games at fullback.
Compared to Tuivasa-Sheck who scores one try every 2.8 games at fullback. However this year he has only scored one try every 5 games.

So Mbye at fullback does appear to be an attacking weapon, BUT compare him to Corey Thompson.

Corey Thompson at fullback for the Tigers this year has scored 3 tries in 8 games, averaging one try every 2.6 games.

So Corey Thompson is WAY outperforming Mbye at fullback these days.

For the Bulldogs, was Mbye an attacking weapon ?? .. well not really.
Hoppa has the same stats as Mbye (one try every 4.6 games).
JMoz has one try every 1.8 games, and BMoz one try every 2.1 games.
Heck even Adam Elliott has a strike rate of one try every 3 games.
Martin and Matt Frawley, one try every 4 games. Olive one try in three games.

Mbye is way down the list of attacking players after BMoz, JMoz, Olive, Frawley, Martin, Elliott and Hoppa.

Therefore for his wage, he's actually quite poor compared to other players strike rates over the line.
Ennis can suck a fat one.... How bout how many Mbye bombed??

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You forgot to mention a very important stat. Unsuccessful penalty kicks for touch. Sorry, I lost count. The bloke looks scared to kick the ball and can't kick for shit. He makes 10-20mtrs at best when the good kickers are making 30-40mtrs

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
How is keeping Mbye and shopping JJ or Klemmer a good idea???
Klemmer and JJ are bulldogs
Mbye is a grubby money hungry bitch.
He played for us for 7 years not 7 mins so hardly money hungry. The name of the game for us is to score tries and neither of those blokes do that. Mbye on the other hand has scored tries and set up a few as well, not enough but at least he has. I don't care that Mbye has gone but it is about the philosophy of retaining a $5m pack that collectively have scored bugger all tries and set up even less and boning a back who is probably the fastest in the club when the greatest single issue is that you can't score any points.

Personally, I think there are no players in our squad that we need to draw a line in the sand over. None of them are playing well enough to make them indispensable. Yes they are individually good players but the truth is as a team they are poor. We need to clean out a few of the "guns". Let's face it you can't be spending around $3m on 3 props who have more pies after the game than offloads. Any big lump can tackle. We need spark.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Im with Ennis on a lot of things. But not about Mbye. Mbye is a decent player and has done more than a lot of other players in the side this year. BUT, Mbye wasnt worth what we had to pay him under the cap. If he was on say $400k instead of $900k, he wouldnt be going. With Mbye the reason we let him go was financial, and not that he is shit

crack

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Love his passion , but can’t agree, get rid off Klemmer before mbye? No fucken chance , Klemmer is a bulldog supporter come player , and hopefully stays here for his whole career

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He wasn’t speaking about us signing other players, I don’t think. I think he was talking specifically about us letting Mbye go rather than certain players.

I know we need creativity, but in all honesty, our team is going to take a little rebuilding. I think Klem in particular is essential. Not many produce his go forward and if we let go of some of these so called lumbering forwards, I think it seriously limits our go forward.... even the best spine needs a platform to build off.

In Mbye’s case, I think he clearly has talent, but he was also on overs and was apparently more willing to go. Klemmer snd Jacko are both really passionate and put in for us. I think they are the type of players we need to build around. I think if we let go of key forwards to sign a gun spine it’s only going to lead to problems with both our pack and team harmony.

I can definitely see the other side of the argument. We do need creative players. I think but has plenty of upside and am sorry to see him go. But I think the current admin is kinda between a rock and a hard place and these decisions aren’t as straight forward as Mick makes them out to be....

I’m not happy to see Mbye go, but it annoys me when people take what I see as potshots from outside looking in. Building around our forwards and trying to buy up and coming spine players and develop them seems the best course of action to me. Having said that, I can only hope the club is making the right moves and signing the right talent to develop for the future.

I think it’s going to be a long couple of years and will seem even longer with Mick and other media analysts criticising us at every turn. The sad reality is as long as we have players like Foran chewing up so much cap, we’re always going to be lacking somewhere and forced to make difficult decisions.

Whose yo say we won’t have to make other tough decisions in the future? It sucks to be in this position, that’s for sure.

I get your point, but I think what you are talking about is the main contributing point to our lack of success. We spent a fortune on our pack and have done for 6 years in the hope of getting big men rolling through, offloading to quick little men. It worked for one year (2012) and then fell apart, yet we kept recruiting using the same blueprint. It is obvious that we need more agile, mobile forwards and a DH who can spark something yet we keep bringing big logs on. Klemm is great for what he does but it is only an upmarket version of what Tolman and Woods do, along with Fualolo, Tualau etc. All the other clubs pumped their cash into the halves and backs. Until this year we didn't and then we got Foran who is broken. Mbye is a very good footballer but he has to have the right people around him. He will get that at the Tigers with Brooks and Benji running the show.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Love his passion , but can’t agree, get rid off Klemmer before mbye? No fucken chance , Klemmer is a bulldog supporter come player , and hopefully stays here for his whole career
For me, we keep Klemmer and Jackson under any circumstances, and everyone else is up for grabs.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get your point, but I think what you are talking about is the main contributing point to our lack of success. We spent a fortune on our pack and have done for 6 years in the hope of getting big men rolling through, offloading to quick little men. It worked for one year (2012) and then fell apart, yet we kept recruiting using the same blueprint. It is obvious that we need more agile, mobile forwards and a DH who can spark something yet we keep bringing big logs on. Klemm is great for what he does but it is only an upmarket version of what Tolman and Woods do, along with Fualolo, Tualau etc. All the other clubs pumped their cash into the halves and backs. Until this year we didn't and then we got Foran who is broken. Mbye is a very good footballer but he has to have the right people around him. He will get that at the Tigers with Brooks and Benji running the show.
We pumped big cash into 2 spine players (Mbye & Foran) and 2 props (Klemmer & Woods), problem is they pumped it into the wrong spine players

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We pumped big cash into 2 spine players (Mbye & Foran) and 2 props (Klemmer & Woods), problem is they pumped it into the wrong spine players
True, although we pumped big cash into one on a promise of delivery and he didn't and the other on the promise of recovery and he hasn't. But, its not just Woods and Klemm, its JJ, Tolman, now RFM, Eastwood and the hangover of Kas and Jammer. That's a lot of dough for at best a modest return.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mbye probably took the money and ran, knowing that next contract renewal at the Dogs, unless his form went up like 3 or 4 fold, he was getting offered 50% of what he was on.

Tigers will come to learn that too, but for the next few years he's laughing his arse off that someone actually paid him the sort of money Tedesco, Slater, Boyd, and other top end veteran fullbacks are on.

To think the Dogs opted to go with Mbye, when RTS was within our sights and seriously an option is laughable.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
True, although we pumped big cash into one on a promise of delivery and he didn't and the other on the promise of recovery and he hasn't. But, its not just Woods and Klemm, its JJ, Tolman, now RFM, Eastwood and the hangover of Kas and Jammer. That's a lot of dough for at best a modest return.
I agree and a good thing is we will have Eastwood, Graham & Kas off the books at the end of this year.

I remember it was reported that JJ re-signed for 600k per year & Klemmer was on 700k per year. Hopefully Tolman & RFM are nowhere near these blokes

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree and a good thing is we will have Eastwood, Graham & Kas off the books at the end of this year.

I remember it was reported that JJ re-signed for 600k per year & Klemmer was on 700k per year. Hopefully Tolman & RFM are nowhere near these blokes
Wasn't Rfm extended by pay? So I doubt it's a dessy backend fat cheque

Status
Not open for further replies.