How are Sydneysiders dealing with the heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
I thought I had it bad in Townsville with the humidity although it hasn’t been that bad at all over the warmer months for some reason.

Other than that, the Airconditioner is my best friend.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Feel for the Queenslanders with all the rain and floods... bloody snakes, crocs and spiders all appear once the water level recede.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Shitting pants at power bill.

Last one was almost $1200 for the quarter for bloody 2 adults.

Aircon costs like $25 a day to run (if run from 10-6) despite being brand new inverter unit with 2 zones, and set at 26 degrees.
I would be looking for suspicious power cables running to your neighbours shed / meth lab / hydro room. We have 3 aircons units in the house, use them all, and never saw a power bill in that territory

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Brand new development Dognacious .. infrastructure hasn't even been handed over to council/sydney water yet.

I doubt it's possible they've tapped 2 lines into one, as when AC is off our usage is only about $5 per day.

Although that's still $450, that's about the same as the other place we rented.

I don't mind cane toads. They're good to practice golf on. Even though I don't like golf.
I just can't deal with reptiles and amphibians. Frogs, snakes, lizards, toads... all freak me the fuck out.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Brand new development Dognacious .. infrastructure hasn't even been handed over to council/sydney water yet.

I doubt it's possible they've tapped 2 lines into one, as when AC is off our usage is only about $5 per day.

I just can't deal with reptiles and amphibians. Frogs, snakes, lizards, toads... all freak me the fuck out.
lol the pun in my post was that I hate cane toads. Lizards though... LOVE THEM. They're harmless to us and don't have teeth - or big teeth... unlike their **** of a cousin, the snake... HATE THOSE SLITHERY FUCKERS!~

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
lol the pun in my post was that I hate cane toads. Lizards though... LOVE THEM. They're harmless to us and don't have teeth - or big teeth... unlike their **** of a cousin, the snake... HATE THOSE SLITHERY FUCKERS!~
Imagine if snakes had teeth instead of fangs :D

You should have done this ..

"I hate CANE TOADS"

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Do you get meter reads? Might be worth manually sending them your meter read which is an option with some providers now. Ensures it’s actually accurate

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Imagine if snakes had teeth instead of fangs :D

You should have done this ..

"I hate CANE TOADS"
Speaking of snakes, we had another snake story up here yesterday. This getting way too common, that i am now checking the dunny every time I sit down, especially in my downstairs office.

Massive 6-foot python wraps around teen’s leg while he is on the toilet
A SUNSHINE COAST teenager received a massive scare when a six-foot python wrapped around his leg while he was on the toilet.

Matty Holdsworth
Sunshine Coast DailyMARCH 21, 20189:25AM

A MOUNTAIN Creek teenager had the fright of his life when a six-foot python wrapped around his leg ... while he was on the toilet.

Snake Catcher Noosa’s Luke Huntley said the whole scenario was one of the more amusing catches of his career, for everyone bar the teenage boy.

Mr Huntley was called out at 11pm to shift the “grumpy” python.

“The boy said he sat down on the toilet, and this cold thing wrapped around his leg,” Mr Huntley said with a grin.

“He managed to shake it off luckily and I was called out.

“The snake was just looking for food and water. He knew he was cornered and felt like he had to defend himself.”

Trying to catch this snake was a shit time.Source:Supplied

Mr Huntley said it was the larger end of the scale for pythons.

“It had a really big head and was quite chunky,” he said.

“Luckily the boy didn’t get bitten. I’ve been bitten by one of these before and it absolutely canes. When they latch on it can cause all sorts of trouble.

“I had to be very careful when I picked him up.”

Mr Huntley and most snake catchers have had their hands full of late and said eight out of 10 snakes were caught indoors.

While Mr Huntley arrived at the scene in a matter of minutes, the snake was lurking in the only toilet in the house, so the poor teenager had to “hold on”.

Moments before William Pledger was bitten.Source:Supplied

The news comes as a snake catcher who felt nothing after a bite collapsed hours later from venom.

Early last month, William Pledger, an experienced snake catcher from Gympie, was called to a property in the rural Queensland town to get rid of an eastern brown snake.

The metre-long snake whipped around and latched onto his hand.

“I didn’t feel the bite at all,” he told the Gympie Times, referring to the snake’s fangs that had pierced his knuckle.

Mr Pledger assumed it had been a “dry bite”, a misconception that snakes can bite without injecting venom.

It was only after his persistent roommate encouraged him to go to hospital that Mr Pledger went.

A second hospital test confirmed he had a deadly combination of neurotoxins, mycotoxins, and coagulants in his bloodstream.

Eight hours later, his kidneys had started to shut down.

“They were looking at putting me on dialysis to save my life,” Mr Pledger said.

He said if he hadn’t received the antivenene, “you would have been going to my funeral today”.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I question how many "snake catching" stories are legit vs someone using media to promote their company.

Do you get meter reads? Might be worth manually sending them your meter read which is an option with some providers now. Ensures it’s actually accurate
We don't get them anymore because its a smart meter it feeds all back to them automatically via a 3G antenna/SIM.

I get usage data (can drill down hourly) about 2 days later which I can check online or via app. That gives me usage and cost.

That's how I know that without the aircon running power usage is only about $5 a day... albeit that still seems high.

Status
Not open for further replies.