How are Sydneysiders dealing with the heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you guys actually like in Bulldogs territory, but we're getting freaking smashed at the moment with a monsoon. Thunder, lightning, bucketing down.... it's all happening.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you guys actually like in Bulldogs territory, but we're getting freaking smashed at the moment with a monsoon. Thunder, lightning, bucketing down.... it's all happening.
NW Sydney ... some rain, overcast and a little dark, but nothing insane as this morning early AM.

I think we copped the fringe of the big one coming through.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We just had a huge blackout across a significant portion of the new england area which apparently had nothing to do with the storm we're now in the middle of. But the one positive of the blackout for me was that it's nice to watch the storm in an absence of artificial light. This was topped off by the fact that the rain decided to hit just before the power came back on delivering some much appreciated cool breezes and the fresh smell of rain hitting soil which is one of my favorite smells. I could complain about missing the tail end of a movie, but in all honesty if the movie had been on I would have missed seeing the storm in all it's glory and wouldn't have been outside to smell the freshness that I think is great.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Spent most of the day downstairs (we have a concrete slab between levels meaning downstairs is usually cooler). Then at night closed all doors and windows and put the AC on. My room was actually pretty cold when we turned it on, I needed to use the doona when sleeping lol.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Shitting pants at power bill.

Last one was almost $1200 for the quarter for bloody 2 adults.

Aircon costs like $25 a day to run (if run from 10-6) despite being brand new inverter unit with 2 zones, and set at 26 degrees.

Wahesh

Reaction score

Aircon costs like $25 a day to run (if run from 10-6) despite being brand new inverter unit with 2 zones, and set at 26 degrees.
26 is a pretty hot setting for AC bro. Why not go lower? We always set it for 16-18 and only have it run at night when we're trying to sleep.

Question: Your home is 2 level right? Is there a concrete slab between the levels (meaning you'll generally have cooler temps downstairs)?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
26 is a pretty hot setting for AC bro. Why not go lower? We always set it for 16-18 and only have it run at night when we're trying to sleep.

Question: Your home is 2 level right? Is there a concrete slab between the levels (meaning you'll generally have cooler temps downstairs)?
It was at 24 but struggled to get that low. I believe its concrete slab.

It's a brand new rental (because I own a TV potentially classed as large by blue_boost).

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

How on earth?

I must admit I scratch my head at people with such big electricity bills.

Mine is $450 a quarter in summer (normally lower, but I though i'd treat Mrs CD to letting her use the aircon more when pregnant and with the baby), and around $300 in winter (luckily in QLD you don't need heating). And I am running my business from home, so there is someone here all day every day.

I know you're in a rental, and therefore you can't go around replacing air conditioners, but those figures so seem rather large.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seven months of summer, its on again this year, watch the icebergs melt.

Wahesh

Reaction score
How on earth?

I must admit I scratch my head at people with such big electricity bills.

Mine is $450 a quarter in summer (normally lower, but I though i'd treat Mrs CD to letting her use the aircon more when pregnant and with the baby), and around $300 in winter (luckily in QLD you don't need heating). And I am running my business from home, so there is someone here all day every day.

I know you're in a rental, and therefore you can't go around replacing air conditioners, but those figures so seem rather large.
Australian homes are made to withstand heat. Anyone who has a home in Australia with central heating should be taken out back and shot in the dunny.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I think I'm going to have to talk to the energy provider. Something clearly isn't right.

Normal usage including overnight power usage doesn't really change. Oven and hot water is gas, and our air fryer doesn't use much. Lights are all LED so can't be them. Computers left on (4) all the time only means normally about a $5 a day bill.

Only difference is the AC, and that results in going from $5 per day to like $20-$25 (depending on how long it's on). To me that doesn't sound right as a less efficient AC in our previous rental with ZERO insulation (compared to wall and ceiling in this place as it's to BASX 6 standards) and yet we maxed out bills at around $600 running that for 8 hours a day.

Maybe our smart meter is misreading when the AC is on or double charging. That's my only thought.

I mean shit, if the aircon IS costing that much it'd be almost worth us making enquiries about how much it'd cost US (personally) to upgrade the AC to multi zone controller (instead of upstairs and downstairs), and only use the zones we need.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yeah I think I'm going to have to talk to the energy provider. Something clearly isn't right.

Normal usage including overnight power usage doesn't really change. Oven and hot water is gas, and our air fryer doesn't use much. Lights are all LED so can't be them. Computers left on (4) all the time only means normally about a $5 a day bill.

Only difference is the AC, and that results in going from $5 per day to like $20-$25 (depending on how long it's on). To me that doesn't sound right as a less efficient AC in our previous rental with ZERO insulation (compared to wall and ceiling in this place as it's to BASX 6 standards) and yet we maxed out bills at around $600 running that for 8 hours a day.

Maybe our smart meter is misreading when the AC is on or double charging. That's my only thought.

I mean shit, if the aircon IS costing that much it'd be almost worth us making enquiries about how much it'd cost US (personally) to upgrade the AC to multi zone controller (instead of upstairs and downstairs), and only use the zones we need.
See we have an upstairs/downstairs AC (bedrooms/living area) and only ever use the bedrooms (upstairs) AC as the downstairs area is generally cooler due to the concrete slab between the levels. As a result, we only usually have the AC on from about 8pm-2am when it's generally cooled down and we can turn it off. Mind you we only use the AC on hot nights.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lucky *****

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

The fact your hot water is gas tells me there is definately something not right re your bill.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The fact your hot water is gas tells me there is definately something not right re your bill.
Yeah I'll have to give them a call. They did cancel the account when we moved (as we had it migrated), but maybe something in their system is still counting both homes usage or something.

Biggest bill at the last place was $600 for summer, and this place is far more energy efficient, so something can't be right there.

Heck, my sister and her husband and 3 kids (who work from home) crank the AC all day and night till about 10pm (new home) and their bill is only about $100-200 more than ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.