Pet appreciation Thread! Show us your pets

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Got these two kitties about 7 years ago. The tortoise shell one went missing about 3 years ago

Got this Calico kitty after the other one went missing. Had it for a little over a year then it was hit by a car

Got this kitty over a year ago. It's a pretty small cat. Probably a runt, but a great kitty.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Turns out the post on the forum was a year old !

OOPS
That usually have them per state but I do remember that one. The last cat we got was on a free adoption day. It was free for cats and $50 for dogs.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That usually have them per state but I do remember that one. The last cat we got was on a free adoption day. It was free for cats and $50 for dogs.
Not sure how I feel about these sorts of days.

I guess its good publicity for the RSPCA and other shelters, but at the same time, I worry it might lead to impulse buying, and a dog isn't a consumable.

One thing I do like is states moving to stopping the sale of puppies in pet stores and shutting down puppy factories :grinning:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about these sorts of days.

I guess its good publicity for the RSPCA and other shelters, but at the same time, I worry it might lead to impulse buying, and a dog isn't a consumable.

One thing I do like is states moving to stopping the sale of puppies in pet stores and shutting down puppy factories :grinning:
On the plus side, if people impulse buy an animal and don't want to keep it then it'll probably end up back at the RSPCA anyway.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Have you ever bottle fed them? I love the ear wiggle, it's hilarious!
No, they were all fed by the mother cat, as good as the memories were, i also remember the litter trays, I'd get home and they'd be full.

I'd do a big clean out and an hour later they'd be full again.
So much poo

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No, they were all fed by the mother cat, as good as the memories were, i also remember the litter trays, I'd get home and they'd be full.

I'd do a big clean out and an hour later they'd be full again.
So much poo
I hope it was "good" poo! LOL When they are sick it can become a disgusting mess. It's a good thing I am hard of smelling.

2 years ago I got 3 black kittens who were 3 weeks old. I was told that they were on solid food but they weren't. So I had to bottle feed them. You feed one & there are 2 others screaming at you to be fed. Once you finished the third kitten, the first would be starving again - very stressful & they come at you like zombies. Unfortunately 1 died of FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis). I got it to my local vet, but they said it had to be put down. I informed the RSPCA of this & took the other 2 to be examined. They too had it at early stages & also had to be put down. It was a terrible thing for them & me. Fortunately my cats had not developed any interest in them at that stage & had had little contact with them.

I have fostered 68 kittens & some won't make it, but you have to think of the many that do. Some of these kittens will be an enormous help to their pet humans & may save their lives simply by being there.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
i loved doing it, it was an amazing experience, my misses cried like a baby when we had to take them back, because you can't help but love them.

One of the mum's didn't like the food we got her and shat EVERYWHERE so we had to give her poached chicken, as soon as we did that, we were ok, but it's hard to see a Mother cat sick, but still ahve to feed her kittens.

I thought we'd fail a few trimes, we wanted to keep all of the kittens, they got so cheeky but we had to give them back.
it's hard to say goodbye to someting you have beeing fattening up and caring for, for 8 weeks

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i loved doing it, it was an amazing experience, my misses cried like a baby when we had to take them back, because you can't help but love them.

One of the mum's didn't like the food we got her and shat EVERYWHERE so we had to give her poached chicken, as soon as we did that, we were ok, but it's hard to see a Mother cat sick, but still ahve to feed her kittens.

I thought we'd fail a few trimes, we wanted to keep all of the kittens, they got so cheeky but we had to give them back.
it's hard to say goodbye to someting you have beeing fattening up and caring for, for 8 weeks
I now have a rule to say goodbye to them at home before taking them back, otherwise it gets too hard. I have 3 cats, I don't need any more for goodness sake! But I wouldn't swap any of them for everything in the world put together 1 trillion times - my best friends.

That mum that shat everywhere - were her poos sloppy? I find that if you get that right, the toileting in the tray becomes more likely. The other problem I had was bathing them when one end was a mess. I found that if I did it in a litter tray so they could see over the top of it, they were far more relaxed than doing it in the laundry or bathroom basins.

Good onya for doing it. IT can be a tough but rewarding job.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah they were sloppy, we fed her chicken to sort her tummy out and then it was ok.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah they were sloppy, we fed her chicken to sort her tummy out and then it was ok.
We only feed our cats drive cat food (Science Diet T/D) and raw meat. Left the cats with my parents while we went on holidays for a few weeks. When we picked the cats up and took them home they crapped in the cat carriers. Sloppy diarrhoea. Turns out my mum was feeding them tinned food.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, we did that too.
The food the RSPCA gave us, wasn't enough so we bought Tinned food and it upset her tummy.
As soon as we started her on chicken (Cooked) she was fine.
My Fault for being a tightarse, the RSPCa were very good when we called and asked them about it though.

They always commented on how good and healthy they looked when we took them in for vaccinations and when we took them back so they could be desexed.

Speaking of Animals, i want a bulldog, but seeing as i will not ever buy from a breeder again (Due to a bad experience with my cat {Ragdoll} he was a she according to the vaccination card) and had very poor health.

So we will adopt when we get a Dog, only a small one as our yard isn't that big.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, we did that too.
The food the RSPCA gave us, wasn't enough so we bought Tinned food and it upset her tummy.
As soon as we started her on chicken (Cooked) she was fine.
My Fault for being a tightarse, the RSPCa were very good when we called and asked them about it though.

They always commented on how good and healthy they looked when we took them in for vaccinations and when we took them back so they could be desexed.

Speaking of Animals, i want a bulldog, but seeing as i will not ever buy from a breeder again (Due to a bad experience with my cat {Ragdoll} he was a she according to the vaccination card) and had very poor health.

So we will adopt when we get a Dog, only a small one as our yard isn't that big.
We're planning to adopt a dog some time soon. I love Bulldogs for obvious reasons but the dogs themselves aren't good. Bulldogs are similar to pugs. They've been bread in such a horrible way that they suffer constantly breathing problems and have other major health issues their whole life.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading the article, i pondered how far my own Jack Russell would go to protect the pack.

In 2007 in New Zealand, a JRT held off 2 pit bulls from attacking a group of kids. The kids got away, but the little fella was ripped to shreds by the other two. He was awarded a bravery award by the Governor General and there is a statue of him erected in the town where it happened.
Jack Russell's don't know how small they are they got big hearts though but maybe should look in the mirror