off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
June 5, 2017 7:00pm
Subscriber only
NOT long after fulltime at the ANZ Stadium debacle on Sunday evening, Bulldogs coach Des Hasler was supposed to meet face-to-face with fans at the club’s Belmore headquarters.

The Bulldogs had advertised all week that the head coach and the players would take questions from members at a meet and greet session from 7pm.

You can imagine the mood of the room after a 38-0 shellacking to the Penrith Panthers when Hasler didn’t show up on the back of such a dreadful performance.

Especially after they had been assured the 36-0 blowout against Manly in round four was a one off.

CONTRACT: Dogs’ ‘positive’ talks with Klemmer

TURMOIL: Canterbury are falling apart

BUZZ: The 10 best buys of the season

The Panthers tore Canterbury apart.
Fans wanted and expected answers. Social media went into meltdown. It was the club’s fourth straight loss.

Hasler told The Daily Telegraph on Monday he was held up at the ground dealing with his media commitments and injuries. And that he had sent his apologies.

This was confirmed on Monday by chairman Ray Dib and chief executive Raelene Castle.

Not that it was a satisfactory explanation for furious fans who used the words “weak” and “gutless” to describe the besieged coach’s non-appearance.

There was even talk among Bulldogs members of boycotting Monday’s 4pm game against St George Illawarra at ANZ Stadium in protest.

The Bulldogs are now languishing in 14th spot.
The Bulldogs are copping it from all directions.

Not just over the team’s form but Hasler’s no-show and the decision six weeks ago to allow Josh Reynolds to join the Wests Tigers, which many believe has ripped the heart out of the playing group.

It’s a similar situation to what Many confronted after Glenn Stewart left in 2014 and Brookvale erupted.

There are rumblings about the decision to extend Hasler’s contract in Round 6 despite the team’s poor start.

At least Dib says he is happy to accept responsibility for the all the above issues.

“The buck stops with me,” Dib said. “I’m the chairman and I’ll wear it. Everyone’s emotional. We’re not winning games and I get that.

“The old boys are causing some rumblings in the background but they are entitled to have a voice. The same with the fans and the members. Anyone who pays to go the football is entitled to an opinion. They invest in the club.”

Four straight losses means the club’s season is on the brink.
Dib insists it was not Hasler’s fault he didn’t get to Sunday night’s fans meeting.

“Des got there late and I told him it was finishing up,” Dib said. “He was happy to go in there and he never avoids those things.

“He was doing media and medical reports at the ground and that’s why he was late.”

The Bulldogs boss also denied the club wanted to offload Reynolds to ease salary cap pressure from signing Aaron Woods and Kieran Foran.

He says he met with Reynolds and his agent Darryl Mather in his own offices at Sydney Olympic Park to try to convince him to stay at Canterbury for three years.

“When we got talking about the money the difference between us and the Wests Tigers was more than $1 million,” Dib said.

“It’s a bloody big difference. It blew us out of the water and we couldn’t compete with it.

LISTEN! Is there more going on at the Bulldogs than meets the eye? And Kevin Walters all but confirms Billy Slater’s return. The Monday Bunker crew dissect all the biggest issues in the NRL.

“I’ve known Grub since he was five and I advised him that he had to look after his family.

“At the end of the day he can come back if things don’t work out because he’s a Bulldogs boy through and through.”

Dib also insists that despite losing four in a row, he has no regrets about extending Hasler’s deal so early in the season.

This despite rumours senior players have fronted the coach in recent weeks about game tactics.

“For starters we never had a time limit on Des’ deal,” Dib said, “Once we were happy with the terms of the contract we signed him. His record speaks for itself.

“What happened [on Sunday] isn’t good enough. The players and Des know that. We’re not getting that consistency. In 2014 we lost four in a row but regrouped and came back. We can do it again.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/7ae7e0c410ba998fccfe8c4bf89f54c0

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Typical. Dib stood up for Hasler and said his record speaks for itself.

What record is that? Having us 4th last on the ladder with the worst attack in the comp and the least amount of talent besides Newcastle?

You're right Ray, Des' record does speak for itself. 5 wins out of his last 18 games with a mostly full strength line-up that whole time. That record speaks for itself and clearly warrants the extension you gave him.

No one is to blame and we just have to defend better and complete our sets with our of form players playing huge minutes and we'll win five comps by 2022.

Nothing will change people. We now officially have a dictatorship running our club. We as fans are the North Koreans of the NRL. Only we don't have anything resembling nuclear weaponry.

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Should have signed cleary or walters ,enough said, dib has made his bed now he has to lie in it, paying hasler out for 2-3 mil probably will never happen, but at what expense will haslers tenure bring

Yanni Gogolak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dib realises we are not winning games, suppprts Des blah blah blah. We are not just losing but we are getting THRASHED - how can he claim to have any credibility with what has happened to our team. I mean has he even watched our games ?????

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the article on positive contract talks with klemmer say? I cant open link as i dont subscribe to the paper

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of Hughes interviews ,,, and he asks the hard questions and gets fired up.. wouldn't be surprised if dib pulls out at last minute
Yep thats exactly what Steve Sharp did before his talkin sport interview, was probably the smart thing to do as he knew Hughes had plenty of mail from his rivals.

Reactions: GDR

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck these guys... we will play good for a couple weeks then the 'lunch' will be forgotten

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasler will be gone by 2018 mark my words
AGM is next year
Dib has the best seat in the house
If Hasler somehow makes the finals dib is a champion and is right
If Hasler falls over, sacks him and he keeps his job b cause he sacked him

Either way the snake In dib survives

People saying we have to pay out Hasler are wrong
We don't have to pay Hasler shit for a contract that hasn't started

Long as they sack him before November and pre season no payout is needed
Courts would see it the same way believe me

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So where are all the media articles featuring Desley? He did the usual after game presser...there's five minutes.

How many players went out with injuries? There's going to be a few niggles but how long is that, an hour?

Desley squibbed it, nothing more.

Reactions: DT
Status
Not open for further replies.