Personal call from Raelene Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Well done immortal in getting a call back and good on Raelene for calling you. We are fine to put shit on her when it's warranted but let's give credit where it's due even if I don't agree with some points...
1. Cleal was sacked for poor recruitment and retention and Ennis was a classic example. What she says about a couple thousand more he wanted no that's not right, actually it came down to him wanting two years and Dogs said only one so he left and won the sharks a premiership. Poor management...period.
2. Mybye and Holland inexperienced...please! A typical reflection of our shit attack because our coach didn't believe. He didn't believe in individuals abilities. Like any athlete you have to believe in yourself, back yourself and go for it. But how can they when the coach didn't believe in them. In the end Des shot their confidence and it showed.
3. Juniors...again she is out of touch and that is why we are so far behind other clubs and teams. During trials Penrith bring in 60 potential players to try out, the Dogs allow for 30. Penrith get the pick of the crop and we get their rejects, I say that respectfully as all footy players deserve credit for playing the game but you get my drift. So Penrith think outside the square and are a step ahead while we play catchup. Maybe it's why Cleal got sacked and at least their is now change.
4. Membership...for the first time in many years I've cancelled. I believe until we stand up and make a stance things are not going to change and it devastates me to do it but as they say short term pain for long term gain. I will go to some games but won't be locked into my membership so that the CEO and Directors can stand in front of the media again and take credit on the numbers. The changes recently made is because they are hearing what the fans are saying but there is so much more they need to achieve before we see our club back where it belongs. One phone call doesn't change everything but it's a step in the right direction.
Penrith have the biggest jnr base by far. Of coarse they will get more trying out.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well done immortal in getting a call back and good on Raelene for calling you. We are fine to put shit on her when it's warranted but let's give credit where it's due even if I don't agree with some points...
1. Cleal was sacked for poor recruitment and retention and Ennis was a classic example. What she says about a couple thousand more he wanted no that's not right, actually it came down to him wanting two years and Dogs said only one so he left and won the sharks a premiership. Poor management...period.
2. Mybye and Holland inexperienced...please! A typical reflection of our shit attack because our coach didn't believe. He didn't believe in individuals abilities. Like any athlete you have to believe in yourself, back yourself and go for it. But how can they when the coach didn't believe in them. In the end Des shot their confidence and it showed.
3. Juniors...again she is out of touch and that is why we are so far behind other clubs and teams. During trials Penrith bring in 60 potential players to try out, the Dogs allow for 30. Penrith get the pick of the crop and we get their rejects, I say that respectfully as all footy players deserve credit for playing the game but you get my drift. So Penrith think outside the square and are a step ahead while we play catchup. Maybe it's why Cleal got sacked and at least their is now change.
4. Membership...for the first time in many years I've cancelled. I believe until we stand up and make a stance things are not going to change and it devastates me to do it but as they say short term pain for long term gain. I will go to some games but won't be locked into my membership so that the CEO and Directors can stand in front of the media again and take credit on the numbers. The changes recently made is because they are hearing what the fans are saying but there is so much more they need to achieve before we see our club back where it belongs. One phone call doesn't change everything but it's a step in the right direction.
Our juniors are not effectively run that is true, but in regards to the Penrith teams if the boys don't happen to make the grade immediately via try out they are told they cannot negotiate with any other junior leagues or they will be black banned within the area and will not get another chance. Plenty of upset parents apparently . This was reported in an article in the Telecrap last weekend. Wish I could find the title of it so I could post it here.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Penrith have the biggest jnr base by far. Of coarse they will get more trying out.
I remember hearing a while back, they spend the most of any club on juniors. Over a million a year, and their junior program guess right down to under 8s.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The clubs rehearsed line regarding turvey breaking protocol is quite pathetic ,im sure if they wanted to he could have escaped with a warning but id say desmond put his foot down and made this happen and it disgusts me how they bent over for him fucking pathetic

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair call immortal but if we expand our numbers to trial then we may see some of their juniors trialling for us but we are restricting numbers which doesn't make sense.trying to get the best juniors no matter what district they play in is what I'm saying.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's f'ing stoopid how Des has completely alienated the fan base , the one and only tangent Raelene has been focussing on but he gets to keep his job , yet Turvey gives the fan base a reason to follow the dogs and she supports his sackind ...it's absolutely messed up.
I can hear the circus song going through my head

Mike_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

She also said they had an aging roster at the time they let Ennis go and he was offered hundreds of thousands more than we could offer.
She said hooker is a vital position and they have Woolford coming next year which they are excited about. Wink wink. [/QUOTE]

This is bullshit. Ennis signed for sharks on the cheap. Tunks and Hughes even mentioned this on talkin' sport today. They farked up letting Ennis go big time. Captain of the club traded for a useless hooker who can't pass.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I don't think Penrith have partnered up with West Sydney Sports Academy to re-allocate the juniors who didnt make the grade just like the Bulldogs and Magpies do with SWSAS

I reckon we need to do something to get the atmosphere up at games and I understand thats difficult at a stadium like ANZ because of how big it is but seriously either the club needs to look at either somehow building a new stadium with the capacity of around 35,000-40,000 or hiring people at ANZ to get the atmosphere up.
WE can always move back to the Sydney Showground when the Manuka Midgets are not using it.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What about haslers unwillingness to adopt change and admit fault?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Following Friday nights board meeting I felt the need to email Raelene Castle and the Bulldogs to voice my concerns over the direction the club was headed.
The main points of my email were:
*My disappointment at the resignation of Steve Mortimer and the fact that he was so worried about the state of affairs he felt the need to speak out in the first place.
* My concern over the apparent neglect of our juniors and lower grades.
* Concerns over Haslers inability to adapt to the modern game.
* Concern over our recruitment and retention
To be totally honest I expected a stock standard email or no reply at all

Today I received a phone call from an unfamiliar mobile phone and was surprised to hear Raelene Castle to the end of the line. She said she wanted to discuss the email I sent and anted to explain the clubs position on a few issues and where we are headed.

Firstly she wanted to emphasise that Steve Mortimer broke protocol and resigned because he realised and acknowledged he had done the wrong thing. I said it sounded like he had no other option and he was forced out. Her reply was that Steve is a man of integrity who speaks from the heart and he willingly resigned so the club could move forward.
She stressed that his association with the club has not ended and he will be part of a mentor program who will work with the players and juniors to preserve the 'Bulldogs DNA or culture' that has been spoken about lately. Other players she mention were Terry Lamb, Brent Sherwin, and a few others who will probably come to me later.

In addressing the juniors she said the club will be creating a full time position to develop local talent and to guide them in the transition to u20's and so on. They will be working with Des and the new recruitment officer to also bring talent into the system from around Australia and NZ. When I questioned whether the club was happy with the decline of the U20's since Des arrived she said they definitely were not but they had made the decision to treat u20's as a stepping stone to nsw cup and 1st grade and to ensure each year they have 4 or 5 players who will be ready to do that. She said the divide between u20s and NRL is too great to expect players to step straight into NRL so they don't want to leave the best players there too long.

As far as recruitment goes. Don't expect to see Lolohea at the club next year. Reading in between the lines I would expect a backline similar to this:
1) Abbey
2) Bmoz
3) JMoz
4) Hoppa
5) Lee
6) Reynolds
7) Mbye

She said losing Brett Morris for the start of the year meant Hoppa went to fullback instead of being outside Moses. She hinted that this changed their playing style because Holland and Mbye are both inexperienced and Des wanted to take pressure off them.

She also said they had an aging roster at the time they let Ennis go and he was offered hundreds of thousands more than we could offer.
She said hooker is a vital position and they have Woolford coming next year which they are excited about. Wink wink.

All up we chatted for about 20 minutes. I was really impressed that she took the time to call. The pessimists here might say she's simply in damage control but it was the exact opposite of what you hear from her in the media. No bullshit, no dancing around issues she was real and she was forthright, she was honest and she was passionate about her job and her vision for the club. She was not trying to convince me to renew my membership because I'd told her I was going to regardless. All in all I was impressed with what she had to say.

I'm not saying I've totally changed my mind on the whole situation but I definitely feel better about 2017 now than I did yesterday.
If you renew your membership you're just encouraging them to keep doing the same. Not renewing your membership combined with others will do more than ANY email. First thing you should have asked is why did they let Des coach the most boring shit style of attack ever in the NRL, followed by why did Des not drop Tony Williams sooner, followed by why did he sign Lichaa if Lichaa is not allowed to run the ball, followed by why do we pay Des for the comps he won at Manly, not the Dogs ?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not racism when it's fact, that's called truth
Yes to me, yes to you, but with the PC crowd you would be very surprised at the gymnastics with the truth that gets played.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Possibly did couldn't it?
She's focusing more on the image of the club rather than on field results?
I say that could have a direct correlation to the results seen this year on field.
I thought more about this after my initial reply here somewhere, and drew a comparison to Todd Greenberg, who was the CEO at the dogs before Raelene.

Say what you want about Todds NRL tenure, but he was excellent for us.

Todd had that ruthless Jewish business acumen but could also do things like pry Des Hasler from manly, I believe that if he was here still he would have sniffed out a situation where we could have stolen Ben Hunt or someone special, or Munster etc.

Look at his tenure with us and his footballing focus and how he transformed our club when we needed it. He didn't really have a footy background but he had a certain tenacity that we needed and knew how to keep things under the lid. Everyone bought into his operation too

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Our juniors are not effectively run that is true, but in regards to the Penrith teams if the boys don't happen to make the grade immediately via try out they are told they cannot negotiate with any other junior leagues or they will be black banned within the area and will not get another chance. Plenty of upset parents apparently . This was reported in an article in the Telecrap last weekend. Wish I could find the title of it so I could post it here.
Really? I was going to enrol my boy in the Penrith district...

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I renewed my membership. It rolled over. But I made it clear I would be reluctantly renewing because I love the club. There were no threats to cancel so she wasn't ringing about that. She wasn't trying to give me a sales pitch or anything. She was honest, admitted we've made mistakes and said how she's planning to fix it.
She did however say that the negotiations that go on behind the scenes in all aspects of the club are delicate and the club can't disclose everything that goes on. She hinted that she gets asked about recruitment all the time and simply can't risk telling people every single detail.

I saw the Eastwood email today. She didn't mention anything about it. I'd say that the club probably wanted to get something positive out there[/QUO
they call it pressure my fried, she start feeling it

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1) sign lichaa for $300k
2) dont sign ennis
3) later ennis gets an offer hundreds of thousands of dollars more than we could offer
4) ffs we cant offer him anything more, i dont understand how this could possibly happen
You obviously love ennis, i did too. But players come and go, and the club tries to make decisions based on future direction. Sometimes they come off, other times they dont. Its just the nature of the business. Time to move on bro. Let the hate go.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I still say we march to Edison lane, Belmore, with our torches and pitchforks

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Ennis was such a Bulldogs kind of player. I really cant believe we punted him.

Alot of people from memory were saying he had slow play the balls.

Open question to the forum inhabitants, Is that your recollection as well?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I renewed my membership. It rolled over. But I made it clear I would be reluctantly renewing because I love the club. There were no threats to cancel so she wasn't ringing about that. She wasn't trying to give me a sales pitch or anything. She was honest, admitted we've made mistakes and said how she's planning to fix it.
She did however say that the negotiations that go on behind the scenes in all aspects of the club are delicate and the club can't disclose everything that goes on. She hinted that she gets asked about recruitment all the time and simply can't risk telling people every single detail.

I saw the Eastwood email today. She didn't mention anything about it. I'd say that the club probably wanted to get something positive out there

I cancelled my auto renewal, however this phone call gives me a glimmer of hope. I am still undecided about renewing, but there is plenty of time.

Props to Raelene for calling you, she definitely did not have to do that. Might be a sign of her being under pressure? Either way it is something that only positives can result from, and it should happen more often.

Members are definitely not privy to enough inner goings on.

Reactions: DT

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hoppa better find a yard or two over the offseason, he will get embarrassed if confronted one on one with most centres out there.
I was thinking the same - he seemed to get slower and slower all year.....

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I keep hearing that we screwed up by letting ennis go... despite ennis being almost as bad as licha in attack last year.. do people have short term memory on here ?
Exactly right. I keep on saying the same thing. Ennis was horrible under our structure. People see he won the hooker of the year in 2015 and say we fucked up. Reality is Ennis wouldn't even have been nominated if at the dogs.

The fact is ennis won hooker of the year in 2009 and 2015. The other telling fact is both times it wasn't in teams coached by Hasler.

Just because Ennis finished his career on fire doesn't mean he will have done that here. Just look at 2013 and 2014 how he went in our team..... ok end of 2014 he played better.... but it was no coincidence he was let go (he stopped playing to haslers game plan and got the chop).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.