BBQ Carnivore - Thread

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
That i was curious about but wasn't the problem.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I see a problem though. Did u wrap?
Sure did.
Got it to 70 degrees international temp, then wrapped in foil till it reached 96 degrees.
Then I checked it with a skewer.
Still some resistance so I wrapped it back up checked it a couple of times every 20 minutes.
Ended up perfect after that,
I then rested it for 2 hours in esky.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Sure did.
Got it to 70 degrees international temp, then wrapped in foil till it reached 96 degrees.
Then I checked it with a skewer.
Still some resistance so I wrapped it back up checked it a couple of times every 20 minutes.
Ended up perfect after that,
I then rested it for 2 hours in esky.
Pro tip - chuck in some butter when you wrap.

The problem - where's the BBQ sauce?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Has anyone watched Chef's Table BBQ? The Lennox Hastie episode was pretty good.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pro tip - chuck in some butter when you wrap.

The problem - where's the BBQ sauce?
Ahh, yes,
I wrapped it with honey and a little bit of stock made from the rub I used.

Bbq sauce,
I was going to do that. But my son hates bbq sauce and we were planing on using left overs for tacos tomorrow.
Otherwise for sure I would have wet it up with some sauce
It doesn't look like it in the picture but it was actually very moist lol

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
To me - butt with bone in or out I prefer out. Done both ways and tbh - not sure you get a better result with the bone in (and if I don't have to pay for it happy days).

But obviously if its bone out its probably netted which sucks with the bark. Nice move with the skewers. I usually just fold it pretty :grinning:

I'd definitely do butter though to keep it moist - plus an apple/vinegar/water spritz prior to wrapping. But that because its being shredded into the sauce.

Looked ok though.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me - butt with bone in or out I prefer out. Done both ways and tbh - not sure you get a better result with the bone in (and if I don't have to pay for it happy days).

But obviously if its bone out its probably netted which sucks with the bark. Nice move with the skewers. I usually just fold it pretty :grinning:

I'd definitely do butter though to keep it moist - plus an apple/vinegar/water spritz prior to wrapping. But that because its being shredded into the sauce.

Looked ok though.
So that's a pretty random post lol. Was there supposed to be a photo to accompany that? I did a pork shoulder, bone in of course, last weekend. Turned out great. I keep them pretty simple. I do inject them the night before though, then put on a light rub before it goes into the smoker. Let it go for about 6 hours, spritz it with apple juice every now or then. Then wrap it with some melted butter, honey, brown sugar and soy. Put it back in there for a few hours. Then let it rest for an hour or so, unwrap it, then back in the smoker for a bit.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So that's a pretty random post lol. Was there supposed to be a photo to accompany that? I did a pork shoulder, bone in of course, last weekend. Turned out great. I keep them pretty simple. I do inject them the night before though, then put on a light rub before it goes into the smoker. Let it go for about 6 hours, spritz it with apple juice every now or then. Then wrap it with some melted butter, honey, brown sugar and soy. Put it back in there for a few hours. Then let it rest for an hour or so, unwrap it, then back in the smoker for a bit.
Must have been the weekend for bbq pulled pork.
My work colleague also did one.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Photo? Nah just an in thread conversation.

Good to hear that we probably follow the same steps but just different preferences. I smash my rub and go light on the wrap but ya gotta have butter. And if I'm doing pulled pork - its getting eaten in 30 mins.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Photo? Nah just an in thread conversation.

Good to hear that we probably follow the same steps but just different preferences. I smash my rub and go light on the wrap but ya gotta have butter. And if I'm doing pulled pork - its getting eaten in 30 mins.
Pulled Pork is not overly photo worthy, just eating worthy. Wifey doesn't believe in resting meat. Who am I to argue. I like that you get lotsa leftovers for sangas, pizzas, wraps etc. Doing some lamb ribs tomorrow. Opposite to doing pork shoulder. Hot and fast all the way.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey mate,
I recently got a kettle kone votex similar to the one in your picture.

I thought I'd try it out on burger patties in my weber kettle.
I need to point out I had cleaned my kettle there was no old oil in my kettle bowl when I started cooking.

I used lump charcoal.

I can not believe how hot it got.

I set it up to cook the patties indirect same as you did with your lamb ribs.

The fat from the patties that ran down the kettle bowl actually caught fire.

I literally had a fat fire in my kettle.
I set it up and left it for 10minutes
Then found my back patio full of smoke and the kettle on fire.

I pulled the patties off the grill closed the lid and all vents to choke out the fire.

To my amazement the patties were cooked.
And didn't taste to bad all things considered.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey mate,
I recently got a kettle kone votex similar to the one in your picture.

I thought I'd try it out on burger patties in my weber kettle.
I need to point out I had cleaned my kettle there was no old oil in my kettle bowl when I started cooking.

I used lump charcoal.

I can not believe how hot it got.

I set it up to cook the patties indirect same as you did with your lamb ribs.

The fat from the patties that ran down the kettle bowl actually caught fire.

I literally had a fat fire in my kettle.
I set it up and left it for 10minutes
Then found my back patio full of smoke and the kettle on fire.

I pulled the patties off the grill closed the lid and all vents to choke out the fire.

To my amazement the patties were cooked.
And didn't taste to bad all things considered.
I've found fatty/marinated stuff like lambs ribs and chicken wings, especially if you baste them along the way, then flare ups happen when using the kettle kone. Best to turn the lid every 10 min or so mins or so then the hot spot moves about. I'm still learning how to use the kettle kone properly though. Im more of a low and slow guy.