In a H2H matchup at their peaks how would the Panthers fair against these great teams?

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you are including 04 Dogs and the Naughties Storm sides then it's only fair we get a best of Panthers 21-23.

In saying that 04 Dogs were pretty much the 03 Dogs and they couldn't get it done against us either.

The illegal Storm side had a gun spine, but I reckon we have a better pack.
Probably should include 02 Roosters as well. Despite how dominant we were in 04, the Roosters were always neck and neck with us back then. Panthers in 03/04 were no joke either

The Broncos team in 06 was also insanely stacked

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So was our ‘04 team.
gun sides, are gun sides.
While i tend to agree with this and think the salary cap should be abolished. The Storm really did a lot worse than we did, it was quite shocking they weren't caught earlier. Inglis, Slater, Cronk and Smith in one team is insane

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how they go next year. Critta is a big loss. I think in particular their backline is starting to look slow. Too seems to have slowed down. Tango has some pace but is always injured. If they replace Critta with Alamotti it would have to be one of the slowest back lines in the NRL.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how they go next year. Critta is a big loss. I think in particular their backline is starting to look slow. Too seems to have slowed down. Tango has some pace but is always injured. If they replace Critta with Alamotti it would have to be one of the slowest back lines in the NRL.
May will replace Crichton in the backline. I agree thought that they are not a speedy team. Brisbane used their speed to score in the GF. Changing their gameplan when 16 up is what cost them.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
The panthers almost got beat by Brisbane and souths in 21. One thing about Penrith which separates them is their consistency over the last 4 years and the chemistry they have on the field. A lot of them grew up together playing and that’s non existent for nrl teams.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I cant answer confidently but the only thing I cam answer with 100% certainty is our 2004 pack would of literally eaten their pack alive on the field.

Seriously, I can see Shrek knock JFH the fuck out and the rest of our pack feasting on them like a pride of lions eating some Kenyan Fried Zebra.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We didn't see these Panthers lose to Melbourne. We saw a young team with no GF experience lose to an Experienced GF Melbourne team.

The team of the last few years is totally different.

I dont know who wins all I know is I ahvnt seen a better defensive team than this Panthers unit

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And no team would beat that ten billion dollar team of the 07 and 09 Melbourne lol

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The size and motor of the Penrith backs and forwards is big thing to try and over power with how well trained they are

I don't think a team of the past have the motor to take on a peak Penrith team, skill wise yes and maybe more but there's only so far skill will take when you are getting muscled and bashed out of a game.

I always think of it like this, current elite players have to come up against so many other new age big and similarly strong/athletic players week in and week out these days while the older players who were special or peaked in their time were the special outlier during said time.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The size and motor of the Penrith backs and forwards is big thing to try and over power with how well trained they are

I don't think a team of the past have the motor to take on a peak Penrith team, skill wise yes and maybe more but there's only so far skill will take when you are getting muscled and bashed out of a game.

I always think of it like this, current elite players have to come up against so many other new age big and similarly strong/athletic players week in and week out these days while the older players who were special or peaked in their time were the special outlier during said time.
If you were talking about now or the 80’s I agree but not now and the 2000’s. Cameron Smith was a better player in 2008 than he was in 2020 when he guided the Storm to a GF win over the Panthers.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
are you just trying to find ways to discredit them?
It’s done In every sport when a team wins so much and destroys current competition you have to look to the past for any hope….

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Who wins these matches if they faced each other at their peaks?

01. Panthers vs Raiders 1994
02. Panthers vs Bulldogs 1995
03. Panthers vs Broncos 1998
04. Panthers vs Knights 2001
05. Panthers vs Bulldogs 2004
06. Panthers vs Storm 2007
07. Panthers vs Sea Eagles 2008
08. Panthers vs Storm 2009
09. Panthers vs Storm 2017
10. Panthers vs Roosters 2018

We already saw these Panthers lose to the 2020 Storm & in my opinion that was the worst team to win the title under the Bellamy era.
Look, we all know Nathan Cleary is carrying this team, so best way for me to determine is to see who had the smarter halfback at the time between Cleary and said club:

01. Panthers vs Raiders 1994 - Stuart
02. Panthers vs Bulldogs 1995 - Polla Mounter
03. Panthers vs Broncos 1998 - Langer
04. Panthers vs Knights 2001 - Johns
05. Panthers vs Bulldogs 2004 - Sherwin
06. Panthers vs Storm 2007 - Cronk
07. Panthers vs Sea Eagles 2008 -Orford
08. Panthers vs Storm 2009 - Cronk
09. Panthers vs Storm 2017 - Cronk
10. Panthers vs Roosters 2018 - Cronk

That's the simplest way of putting it. However, if I were to analyse things a bit further and make it more of a team, I think it would be very lob-sided the other way, because most of those teams were NOT one-man teams like the Panthers are today, and also because the rule changes etc... have made the game so different.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Only team to beat them would be 1994 Raiders, they had an all star cast… definitely brown paper bags involved.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let's get in the Delorean and find out.. It's impossible to compare eras to 20-30 years ago with so many rule changes and different tactics
Professionalism and sports science has also improved so much from 20 - 30 years ago

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Look, we all know Nathan Cleary is carrying this team, so best way for me to determine is to see who had the smarter halfback at the time between Cleary and said club:

01. Panthers vs Raiders 1994 - Stuart
02. Panthers vs Bulldogs 1995 - Polla Mounter
03. Panthers vs Broncos 1998 - Langer
04. Panthers vs Knights 2001 - Johns
05. Panthers vs Bulldogs 2004 - Sherwin
06. Panthers vs Storm 2007 - Cronk
07. Panthers vs Sea Eagles 2008 -Orford
08. Panthers vs Storm 2009 - Cronk
09. Panthers vs Storm 2017 - Cronk
10. Panthers vs Roosters 2018 - Cronk

That's the simplest way of putting it. However, if I were to analyse things a bit further and make it more of a team, I think it would be very lob-sided the other way, because most of those teams were NOT one-man teams like the Panthers are today, and also because the rule changes etc... have made the game so different.
Cleary is not smarter than Cronk, not even close.