Gus on 100% Footy

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
SEN with Vossy , journo came on and said topine is looking to sue the club
This will change training for ever
IF that is true (pardon me for taking assertions by "journos" with copious quantities of salt), then what are they being sued for?
How do we know it is because of "training too hard" (and therefore, training will be changed forever)?
Until a suit is brought (if it ever is) and we are told what it's about, there probably ain't much point in reacting to media narratives like Pavlov's Dog.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No one asks Gus about whether Penrith will win 6 in a row. He makes statements. Have you seen the players he’s bought for next year ? Xerri hasn’t played in 3 years, and a bunch of bench players at other clubs. All u need are decent halves. Burton is a centre not a five eight.
They need experienced heads and middles, not an easy thing when the market is scarce but there is enough to get by….

Manly have given permission for Tuilagi, Fulton and Condon to negotiate - assume Gus will take a look at those guys.

Players like Jordan Maclean, Jordan Grant, Tepai Moeroa, Tariq Sims, Weiremu Greig and Eddie Blacker would surely be considered given the lack of availability and our lack thereof middles.

UK Superleague have guys like Patrick Mago, Liam Byrne, Mikolaj Oledzski, Zane Tetevano, Sam Lisone, Tom Holroyd, Ignatius Paasi, Rhys Kennedy….

2024 season is a tough year for Gus but 2025 will become a blood bath for recruitment - we need to zero in on 2 or 3 marquees and go hard.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m sorry but I would hate to have Phil Gould running my club. Ive heard him say over and over again that Penrith will win 6 premierships in a row. What about his club in 3 years time ? No other boss of a side would ever say that. His recruiting has been insipid. Next year you’ll have a bunch of utility players none of which are match winners. The only decent buy is Crichton. Why dosent Gould chase a decent half back. That position is crucial. Look at Brisbane for example. This year Canterbury broke records . None of which were good. Nearly 800 points conceded ! Conceding 20 points in 12 consecutive matches. Gould is a fraud
Where is this magical halfback going to come from? How many huge signings have other clubs made in the last year since the cap went up so much and a 17th team was added? You could count on one hand how many rep players are changing clubs next year.

People keep saying we should sign this position and that position but the reality is the market has been fucked for all clubs and most stars have re-signed with their current clubs before they're allowed to hit the open market as was the case with Tino and Haas etc. Players like Moses etc were never leaving and only use other clubs to drive up the price with their current club.

Malla

Reaction score
Gus denied EVERYTHING LOL

Just repeated that it's all agenda driven bullshit.

Both he and CC deny RFM having a sook.

Liars...liars everywhere. On both sides.
They’re maintaining confidentiality for the players sake so it wouldn’t impact his ability to get a contract else where, while also protecting their best interests. Nothing wrong with Gus’ approach. This is standard. Buzz fucked up yesterday by dropping RFMs name. That was never meant to happen, I am glad it did (thank you Jammer x) because now players will for sure think twice before talking to the scum.
I have also quite enjoyed every ex player and most journo’s slamming Daveys comments. That definitely backfired on Buzzy boy.
Like I said in another thread, this isn’t the Panthers. Dogs are a much bigger club. He could get away with writing rubbish about the Panthers when Gus was there but he is going to have a harder time with thw Dogs… hope he’s lawyered up :-)

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I listened to it.
This player may be seeking legal action. But they don’t think he’ll go very far, as the Dogs is a sporting body and apparently in the law as a professional sporting club it does not incur negligence if they establish that what they did is widely occurred in Australia and is seen as a competence practice in their sport by peers. Like we’ve already seen, every Tom, Dick and Harry from past and present have all said it’s competent and needed in the sport.

They also said we all know by now who he is and no way he’ll get signed by another club. So I’m sure Topine now realises he’s gone so far down the rabbit hole that the only way is to keep going down that way to get a nice little pay out because that’s all he has at this point.

Even Vossy said clearly the footy career is not for him and it’s best to move on. This is just embarrassing for Topine.

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Doesn't really bother me either if he tells the truth or not in that public domain; what matters to me is what he'll actually do about it.

A real clean-out, a '24 season where we beat expectations (even if ever so slightly), before going on with it properly in '25 will do me. I really want to hear less about the plan and the structures and all that. Just let me know when deadwood goes and some good players come to the club. Show me them getting flogged from 6am to 8pm in pre-season and I'm happy. No more talk about the same old stuff
Kenneler's cannot help themselves though. I can see it now come the back end of pre season and a few snaps of Xerri bursting out of his training shirt will have fans frothing and the good old "anything besides top 4 finish is an absolute FAIL"

But your right anymore talk of Pathways, structures, standards & culture etc... it's seriously fucking old and wish they'd just shut up and get on with it like you said.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF that is true (pardon me for taking assertions by "journos" with copious quantities of salt), then what are they being sued for?
How do we know it is because of "training too hard" (and therefore, training will be changed forever)?
Until a suit is brought (if it ever is) and we are told what it's about, there probably ain't much point in reacting to media narratives like Pavlov's Dog.
Common law damages loss of income potential/future earning capacity as very unlikely he will ever earn another nrl contract.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Cut & paste king.
And? You would think you would find something to do better
With your day and life than to join another teams forum pretending to be their fan? Then stay? If your life is that Fucking sad then seriously you need to seek mental help too!

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m sorry but I would hate to have Phil Gould running my club. Ive heard him say over and over again that Penrith will win 6 premierships in a row. What about his club in 3 years time ? No other boss of a side would ever say that. His recruiting has been insipid. Next year you’ll have a bunch of utility players none of which are match winners. The only decent buy is Crichton. Why dosent Gould chase a decent half back. That position is crucial. Look at Brisbane for example. This year Canterbury broke records . None of which were good. Nearly 800 points conceded ! Conceding 20 points in 12 consecutive matches. Gould is a fraud
It's probably worthwhile reflecting on what "Gould" is and is not (at least in my opinion, for whatever that is worth; probably not a lot).

He is obviously polarising. People seem to love him or hate him; often depending on whether he's working for your club or not at the time. I am more towards the middle. I care what he can achieve for my club. His broader opinions are just his opinions. I can take them or leave them as I please.

He is a genius (I do believe this) BUT that genius is very situational. It does NOT mean everything he does is genius, or that he knows everything, or that his decision-making is infallible (or even that good, in certain areas, sometimes), or that his opinions are always correct.

His genius is in being able to structure and establish the foundations of an elite junior programme, and especially the requisite networks, that can be developed and then utilised by a club to ensure a steady flow of future talent that can be relied upon for years/decades to come. He is the unchallenged champ of doing this. And in a salary-cap-restricted competition, the effect and benefit of this is almost immeasurable.

He is also a master manipulator of the media (for better or worse, depending on your perspective, I suppose). He knows how "the game" is played and how to play it.

He can use both of these traits to good effect. Manipulating the media narrative to convince a leadership (a "board") to give him enough time to establish the foundations.

So what is he not?

He is not infallible (as I said before). I think his firm declarations that a player is this, or that, or isn't this, or isn't that are often wrong, or premature. He often mis-recruits, mis-selects (even though the coach does that, apparently), mis-culls, or mis-retains.

For every Preston, you'll get a Perham, Sutton, & Davey. His specialty is not in picking talent, but in flooding the selection process with enough potential talent that the diamonds emerge from the rough on their own.

A bit like not being able to pick the winner of the Melbourne Cup, but making sure he owns all of the runners.

He isn't a top-grade coach (anymore). And to be fair, I don't think he claims to be, or wants to be.

Even though he does some of the Head Coach stuff (or even most while we have a struggling rookie at the moment), that's not really what he's good at. Even his results of "picks" for head coach haven't really been top class over the last several decades - from flicking Graham Murray, to sacking Cleary, to appointing Hook, to sacking Hook, to tossing his toys from the cot when he wanted Bennett over a returning Cleary, and a myriad of similar decisions.

But hopefully, by the time those kinds of issues arise (as they inevitably seem to do) his foundations will be in place and future coaches (and administrators) will be grateful, even if they might forget who to thank for their "good fortune".

Too many cite Penrith "kicking on" after his departure, as if his departure was the cause and not the foundation he built before he left.

I don't think it would be unfair to describe Gould as a Flawed Genius.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sue on what basis?

For wrestling and grappling during a wrestling and grappling session?
I think the legal action is a Telegraph fabrication.

They always use phrases like 'he is thinking' or 'it is believed' 'an anonymous source' so they can sensationalise a story and cover their arses when it doesn't happen at the same time

Malla

Reaction score
This is old news. Why do you think everyone has maintained secrecy over it? It's got nothing to do with the players mental health, it's because there is legal action in flight.

Nothing will come of it. Good luck to Topine, he will make a great bench player for Bankstown Bulls next year.

Malla

Reaction score
I think the legal action is a Telegraph fabrication.

They always use phrases like 'he is thinking' or 'it is believed' 'an anonymous source' so they can sensationalise a story and cover their arses when it doesn't happen at the same time
Nah, it's true. He's exploring legal action.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably trying to spook the club for a settlement deal - there’s a few Topine-Esque players who struggle to meet the professional demands of the NRL, that’s just elite sport. I can’t see a legal victory here since every sporting club on the planet and every personal trainer and coach take things to the limits….discipline comes with the territory too.

Can you imagine if it gets over the line, the local soccer or footy coach will get sued for telling little Tommy to do an extra lap of the oval for mucking around at training…. Good grief….stupidity.