News ‘It was pretty ordinary’: Bulldogs players break ranks over Ciraldo’s ‘shark bait’ punishment

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't argue with you on selections, this all may be true and is forced to select a few players he doesn't want. But his positioning and rotations are all on him.

Nearly every year you get 1 or 2 little smart arses in my teams, you have to shut them down ASAP. One of my favourite ways if getting them in line is if any player mucks up at training, then we stop drills and the whole team does a lap. They learn quickly that yeah they are mates but mates don't like doing laps because of 1 player.

Also I have always been the strictest on my son and my best mates son, a bit of mind games, gets the boys thinking if I'm tough on my son, what will I do to them lol

I've also hooked a few boys for letting the team down in defence. Plus with coming late to training, in juniors it's obviously the parents fault so they way I got around that is whoever is constantly late, I would start them off the bench.
I find nothing at all wrong with your strategies. At the end of the day YOU are the coach and it is your responsibility and right to run the team as you see fit. Yep, kids can't drive so parents are the ones to blame ( but as we know as parents ourselves, kids can be little stinkers when it comes to time management and getting it straight that if you say this time is when you shall turn up you be there then).

Used to coach a soccer team that one of my boys played in and laps were a common form of getting them to understand that everyone is in it together and what one does affects all.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what kills me and people all fail to see… I understand Ciro has to come out and defend the club and himself and now the players are the ones looking like the sooks but has anyone else thought wtf is going on with every other single player?
Besides Preston, wadell and maybe a couple others the rest of the playing group has declined dramatically! This can’t just be a player thing… it can’t be a lazy thing also cause the likes of kiks, jac, burton etc have all come from top ranking teams so why the decline?
People will say culture? Ok so what about the so called new recruits we are getting from winning cultures… they are pretty much from the same teams we got players from who have declined also. What’s to say they won’t decline next year. For me this is all smoke screen! Ciro has lost the dressing room and lost 90% of it. If he doesn’t some how change his tactics and rethink on how to get the best from his players then unfortunately he will be gone by end of next season mark my words!
100%, that's my concern. Maybe it's not just the playing group? Maybe Ciraldo just doesn't have the man management skills to coach an NRL team?

I really hope this isn't the case, only time will tell but if Ciraldo is to blame then there won't be much left of the club by the time he's moved on and no player in their right mind would want to come here.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm reading about the decline of so many Bulldogs players under CC. I really don't see that. I see a defensive decline that has its heart in 1 thing; loss of confidence in teammates. Across the field, as a defender, if you lose confidence in 2 or 3 people, then your structures are gone. You either double-team easy 1:1 tackles because you don't trust he'll hit and stick (thereby leaving a gap elsewhere) or you don't bother because you know he'll miss and embarrass you both anyway. It produces predictable results. That Canberra try. Either Kiks gives Thommo no hope of getting there, or expects him to do his job and he's not there anyway. Irrespective, 1 bad defensive effort, followed by another soon after in that game becomes a culture over numerous games, behavioural on the field.

Where they have played well, no one is doubting their skillfulness or effort. I see a badly fractured playing group, with 1 faction led by cowards, leaking to the media on the condition of anonymity, while Gus and CC have to front the media almost daily at the moment. I hope someone outs the leakers and see how they go finding new clubs. The guy that left (whoever he is) saying he just didn't like being there?!?! Happy days friend, don't come back, you won't be missed.

These punishments are nothing new and I don't buy that "new-age" BS. When I played, I missed a very famous (already) schoolboy footballer. My coach made me do burpees till I wretched. I still missed him next time, but I turned and chased and hunted him down till I got him. My coach simply nodded at me after the game and said "same next time please". This is a brutal, rugged, hard men's sport. You simply can't compete if you are weak physically or mentally. This idea that gentle wins?! By all means move with the times, but these men need to be elite, and that comes with very hard training

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I find nothing at all wrong with your strategies. At the end of the day YOU are the coach and it is your responsibility and right to run the team as you see fit. Yep, kids can't drive so parents are the ones to blame ( but as we know as parents ourselves, kids can be little stinkers when it comes to time management and getting it straight that if you say this time is when you shall turn up you be there then).

Used to coach a soccer team that one of my boys played in and laps were a common form of getting them to understand that everyone is in it together and what one does affects all.
If laps don't work I moves onto splitting the team in 2 and get them linking arms and doing sit ups together.

It's not only about punishing but making them realise it's a team sport and you can't let your mates down.

Parents had a stink here in there but when I explained I'm doing this to better their sons, they realised my best intentions. Plus winning a premiership and not missing finals ever kind of helps me out too lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
100%, that's my concern. Maybe it's not just the playing group? Maybe Ciraldo just doesn't have the man management skills to coach an NRL team?

I really hope this isn't the case, only time will tell but if Ciraldo is to blame then there won't be much left of the club by the time he's moved on and no player in their right mind would want to come here.
Most of us think the same my bro. By round 5 next year, the real frauds would of been exposed.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone even know what the regular go is in these wrestling sessions?

Do they walk in wrestle one person and walk out, do they all sit around in a circle and watch as everyone goes one for one, is wrestling a number of players one after the other part of the normal session to build up skill and strength, is it a 3 minutes to pin a person type stuff, is wrestling 22 players one after the other as brutal as they’re making it out to be?

If you asked the journos these questions 99% wouldn’t have a clue what even goes on.

More to the point though, has anyone seen any of these wrestling techniques help with our defence, has any of it transitioned onto the field?

Genuinely would like to know because from what I’m seeing it looks like a giant waste of time ..

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If you watched CC's presser yesterday, you would know that this was one of many forms of punishment they were looking to dish out for being late.

They've tried monetary, they've tried physical activities etc etc.
The reporter was the one who mentioned Physical punishment, and was referring to the wrestling incident. All CC said was a general term, a ‘range of things’ only citing monetary, spinning the wheel. (Wheel of Fortune? Lol) . I didn’t hear no team related punishment or fitness based punishment that I was talking about..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most of us think the same my bro. By round 5 next year, the real frauds would of been exposed.
Wasn’t too much later this year they were exposed too lol, it’s a mess!!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If laps don't work I moves onto splitting the team in 2 and get them linking arms and doing sit ups together.

It's not only about punishing but making them realise it's a team sport and you can't let your mates down.

Parents had a stink here in there but when I explained I'm doing this to better their sons. Plus winning a premiership and not missing finals ever kind of helps me out too lol
It all goes back to the old saying." There is no I in team" and I like to add there is an A which stands for ALL. No personal egos or single interests allowed.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seems Ciraldope is getting a free pass from most of you because of anonymous player quotes. I think if the playing group was busying into the culture he is trying to create, they wouldn't be complaining about working hard. Would also bet some of the players who are disgruntled have been and will be willing to work hard elsewhere.

Ciraldo is out of his depth, and while he might be trying to instill discipline, he is short on vision and ideas.... it's as plain as day from his willy-nilly team reshuffles every week.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm reading about the decline of so many Bulldogs players under CC. I really don't see that. I see a defensive decline that has its heart in 1 thing; loss of confidence in teammates.
Or maybe a total loss of confidence in the coaches ability to coach?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Do they walk in wrestle one person and walk out, do they all sit around in a circle and watch as everyone goes one for one, is wrestling a number of players one after the other part of the normal session to build up skill and strength, is it a 3 minutes to pin a person type stuff, is wrestling 22 players one after the other as brutal as they’re making it out to be?

If you asked the journos these questions 99% wouldn’t have a clue what even goes on.

More to the point though, has anyone seen any of these wrestling techniques help with our defence, has any of it transitioned onto the field?

Genuinely would like to know because from what I’m seeing it looks like a giant waste of time ..
From what I read the players in question are on their knees and they don't class the first player beaten until they are on their back..

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You know what kills me and people all fail to see… I understand Ciro has to come out and defend the club and himself and now the players are the ones looking like the sooks but has anyone else thought wtf is going on with every other single player?
Besides Preston, wadell and maybe a couple others the rest of the playing group has declined dramatically! This can’t just be a player thing… it can’t be a lazy thing also cause the likes of kiks, jac, burton etc have all come from top ranking teams so why the decline?
People will say culture? Ok so what about the so called new recruits we are getting from winning cultures… they are pretty much from the same teams we got players from who have declined also. What’s to say they won’t decline next year. For me this is all smoke screen! Ciro has lost the dressing room and lost 90% of it. If he doesn’t some how change his tactics and rethink on how to get the best from his players then unfortunately he will be gone by end of next season mark my words!
Finally some common sense. We have one or two moles leaking things to the media, and because of that, fans are assuming the whole playing group is soft and lacks a winning mentality, despite the fact we have recruited a number of players from winning cultures and they look as disinterested and unenthused as anybody.

You can't keep blaming the players when players who have proven they can be winners are being dragged down by the team culture rather than lifting it up.

There's a huge issue with Ciraldo. Players just don't seem to be buying into what he is trying to do... and that's gonna sap morale.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Other possible bitches are Flamingo, Topine and possibly Burton.
Come on, lafam. That ain't cool.

Flano was one of two guys who played with the right attitude and energy on the weekend, and still you implicate him as a possible snitch? He may not be what you want in a player, but even Ciraldo has said his attitude and response to getting dropped was great. I wish people would stop blaming him for stuff he is not responsible for. It's so clear from the way he played on Sunday that he is not the problem.

Geez, and people wonder why I hyperbolically talked the guy up for so long lol

Last edited:

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think he’ll be with his dad next year at the dragons so won’t be long mate
Right... Flano - one of the two blokes who played with the right attitude and energy for us on the weekend.... a guy who Ciraldo has actually commended for his attitude and response to getting dropped early in the year, is the problem.

You guys sure don't let logic and common sense get in the way of a good story lol

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

It’s worth noting it’s the same techniques / drilling Penrith do. It’s a transition for our players because they have never had to train this hard before. Unfortunately it’s a shock to the system and it will take some time to reap the benefits of the increased fitness and conditioning.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Right... Flano - one of the two blokes who played with the right attitude and energy for us on the weekend.... a guy who Ciraldo has actually commended for his attitude and response to getting dropped early in the year, is the problem.

You guys sure don't let logic and common sense get in the way of a good story lol
Lol relax bro Flanno hates the wrestling sessions and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the comments came from him. Stick up for him all you like it doesn’t change my view. He needs to play with energy and intension he’s off contract.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah I'm with you 100%, I'm just going off the efforts for our club. Half of them should be booted out 4:05pm on Sunday and not waste 1 more second on the shit *****.

Too many passengers, not enough drivers. What makes it worse is some drivers are the worst shit ***** on the field IE Burton.
Burton is not a dud. He has been set up to fail by being asked to steer a struggling team like this in his first full time NRL halves gig. Can't believe how savagely some have turned on him, lafam. Ask a young Cleary do do the job Burton has been asked to do, and he'd have struggled just as much.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
CC is so lucky, all the attention off of how bad he has coached and selected the team lmao.
And the media are playing right into it by making him look like he is being unfairly criticised by players. The reason? because they don't want us to address our biggest problems so they can keep kicking us while we are down for longer.