Official Dogs Decline(NRL 360)

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1692066661386.png

2 things with this one...

That try could have easily been disallowed as Frizella ran a decoy and stopped in the line which caused a ripple in the shift. Good chance if Frizelle wasn't there Kikau would have been closer to Burton and limited Gagai's time. No try all day...

Secondly Burton playing after his wife gave birth in the early hours of the morning needs to be commended. As shit as he played this stuff needs to appreciated as you could imagine the kid was not there mentally and physically but still showed up.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these bad stats and we have 7 wins. Injury toll , players used, rookies getting a start more injuries and 7 wins. The tigers with a better roster, better recruitment, rebuild started 2 yrs earlier and 3 wins but no mention on 360. The saints have an even better roster , shit coaching , shit recruitment and they have less wins but the ex coach works on Fox no mention of that shit show. The titans are a shit show, manly 2 wins more than us isn't that good either but hey flanno works for fox so no mention there. Smash CC is he has the manly roster or titans or dragons roster but not with what he has to work with. 3 players make a top 8 side Carr , kiks and maybe reed. Burton won't make a team at 6.
I hate this take. Comparing our team to shitter teams, that’s not what champions do

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big difference is that their squad should have never ran last.

Not even close
The proof is in the pudding....

Broncos and Warriors have proved how important it is to have a settled spine with at least 2 of the 4 being at elite level.

Broncos now have AReynolds and Walsh who are very well supported by the in form Ezra Mam and Billy Walters.

Warriors have SJ and CNK with Egan in career best form.

Meanwhile, we keep dismissing the need to fix the spine with spine players and keep trying to manufacture players into these positions.

With the exception of Reed, we haven't plugged any of the other 3 holes.

Our rebuild will start in 2-4 years time when we wake up

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The proof is in the pudding....

Broncos and Warriors have proved how important it is to have a settled spine with at least 2 of the 4 being at elite level.

Broncos now have AReynolds and Walsh who are very well supported by the in form Ezra Mam and Billy Walters.

Warriors have SJ and CNK with Egan in career best form.

Meanwhile, we keep dismissing the need to fix the spine with spine players and keep trying to manufacture players into these positions.

With the exception of Reed, we haven't plugged any of the other 3 holes.

Our rebuild will start in 2-4 years time when we wake up
Next year our spine will be Crichton, Burton, Sexton and Mahoney. Sexton and Mahoney signed for this year and Crichton for next year. Sexton probably a stop gap solution until Gus targets a 6 to play 7 for us. I don't think the club or Gus agrees with you. P.S. The Warrior spine isn't that good. Johnson's career was also finished before this year. The coach not getting at least an average level out of the players (ideally need to get the best out of them) is the biggest issue at our club.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People can hate Buzz but every single thing he said last night was the truth about our club at the moment, whether he is agenda driven or not it's fact at the moment.
Yep.
Anasta is the first to call him out if he's talking shit about the Dogs.

If Anasta is letting him talk, he either agrees with it or at least refuses to challenge him with no evidence to support the contrary

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next year our spine will be Crichton, Burton, Sexton and Mahoney. Sexton and Mahoney signed for this year and Crichton for next year. Sexton probably a stop gap solution until Gus targets a 6 to play 7 for us. I don't think the club or Gus agrees with you. P.S. The Warrior spine isn't that good. Johnson's career was also finished before this year. The coach not getting at least an average level out of the players (ideally need to get the best out of them) is the biggest issue at our club.
You'll understand what I mean about the spine and Warriors when they struggle to make the top 8 next year if SJ is gone.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You'll understand what I mean about the spine and Warriors when they struggle to make the top 8 next year if SJ is gone.
SJ already extended 1 year.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their spine plays behind a much superior pack

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Their spine plays behind a much superior pack
Before a ball was kicked this year our roster was better on paper. Go look at all the pre season expectations/projections. AFB wasn't a top 5 middle going into the year. They signed a bunch of reject players too.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is absolutely unnacceptable.... He needs to go asap!!!!

View attachment 79333
Your feeding off what these muppets are feeding the public - we don’t see this type of lens cast across the bottom 8 teams, this level of scrutiny is solely on the Bulldogs my friend and if you take their bait, they win.

Best we can do as fans is keep supporting and believing brother…. Ciro deserves at least one season without the drama he’s had and a team that’s looks more on paper like his own.

RefWorld

Waterboy
Reaction score
As I've written previously on here The Dogs are one team I've been following for past few years. I don't have a particular
team I follow, but rebuilds interest me. I haven't bothered posting anything so far this year because it's just a repeat of
the last few years and the same mistakes are being made a repeat again next year.

The game against Newcastle again showed how far off the pace the dogs are. The Knights have been missing their hooker
all year, they were without Best who has been in superb form too, both Safs were carrying injuries or coming back from injuries
and they lost their halfback in the first half but the Knights flogged the Dogs in a trot.

There's the obvious:
Burton is not a 5/8. He's a centre. Just like Josh Schuster isn't a 5/8. He's a second rower with a lot more natural talent than Burton.
Yet, the Dogs paid big bucks to poach Burton to play 5/8.
TPJ was another terrible big dollar signing. He'll be 28 next year. He's played 130 odd games at 5 clubs and has never delivered.
The Knights were happy to let him go as junior because of his attitude problem.
Ricky Stewart told him he'd never be an NRL player.
He went to Brisbane to play under Bennet but still didn't improve.

The only time he's done a job at NRL level was coming off the bench for the Panthers in a few games for 20 minutes.
And the other quality professional players around him there didn't take any crap or sub par efforts off him.
That's the best he'll ever be. A bench prop in a good team.
And yet... The Dogs sign him on huge dollars as a pack leader... It was always going to end it tears...

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I've written previously on here The Dogs are one team I've been following for past few years. I don't have a particular
team I follow, but rebuilds interest me. I haven't bothered posting anything so far this year because it's just a repeat of
the last few years and the same mistakes are being made a repeat again next year.

The game against Newcastle again showed how far off the pace the dogs are. The Knights have been missing their hooker
all year, they were without Best who has been in superb form too, both Safs were carrying injuries or coming back from injuries
and they lost their halfback in the first half but the Knights flogged the Dogs in a trot.

There's the obvious:
Burton is not a 5/8. He's a centre. Just like Josh Schuster isn't a 5/8. He's a second rower with a lot more natural talent than Burton.
TPJ was another terrible big dollar signing. He'll be 28 next year. He's played 130 odd games at 5 clubs and has never delivered.

The only time he's done a job at NRL level was coming off the bench for the Panthers in a few games for 20 minutes.
And the other quality professional players around him there didn't take any crap or sub par efforts off him.
And yet... The Dogs sign him on huge dollars as a pack leader... It was always going to end it tears...
Burton is not a centre. He played 3/4 of a season there in a gun Panthers side. Isaac Tago is doing a better job than Burton did there.

People are always comparing Burton as a centre at Penrith vs Burton as a five eighth for Canterbury. I guarantee you if he played centre for us the past 2 years they wouldnt be saying what a good centre his is. Its comparing apples with farkin bowling balls.

He played all of his juniors at five eighth. Of course he has work to do there but there is a severe lack of NRL quality halves and he has enough talent to persevere with him there

RefWorld

Waterboy
Reaction score
The games against Newcastle also showed how poor the Dogs back 5 are.
The Knights have got big, athletic backs that run like front rowers: Marzew, Young, Gags, Best.
Ado Carr was good at the Storm, but he relies on the players inside him. Gets driven back all the time. His defence is woeful. He's
playing he did when was at the Tigers.
Kiraz tries hard, but he's no Best or Marzew or Young. Poor defensively too.
The Dog's only centre is playing 5/8.

And the Dogs are doing it again. Buying a player from the best team in the comp, but buying a centre to play fullback, on FB money.

It's hard to judge Kikau but he doesn't seem to be the same player he was at the Panthers. He kept running at Tyson Gamble and Gamble
kept putting him on his arse. Despite what some on the Kennel have written, Gamble is better than any half the Dogs have. Enough talent
and a lot of aggression and mongrel about him. Sexton is a reserve grader. Dogs fans would love Gamble if he was wearing Dogs colours.

And the Dogs don't have a match winner, a marquee player like the Knights do with Ponga. KP didn't even have to do much against
the Dogs. They were scoring enough tries without needing to go to Ponga much. So much so that KP even got a rest with 10 minutes to
go with Hastings already off since the first half.

The Knights were scrappy in the second half, but when you've scored 96 points to nil in the last 3 halves against a team it would
be difficult not to become complacent. Don't know what to make of CC. But his presser comments about only losing the second
half 12-6 was a concern taking all that into account.

The one positive is Jacob Preston. The Dogs got lucky there. He's exceeded all expectations. Not a game breaker but tries hard,
tackles everything that moves. A real competitor. But the likes Liam Knight are not going to change anything.

I don't think poor old Gus knows what to do.

RefWorld

Waterboy
Reaction score
And the Kennel still has that loser mentality of blaming the refs for their poor performances.
That's so lame. The gameday thread is always good for a laugh. Every time a call doesn't go the Dogs way
it's some sort of Donald Trump QANON conspiracy.

The Dogs were lucky there weren't another 20 six-agains against the Knights.
The Knights backs and forwards were just too big, too strong and too good for them. The Dogs were hanging on in
tackles trying to slow the game down, trying to slow the play the ball down, struggling to get onside, struggling to bring
the ball runner down. That's what happens to a team that is getting out-muscled at every level of the game.

The officials cut the Dogs way too much slack. But that happens too. At all levels.

It's hard to say who actually looked like a first grader in the game against the Knights apart from Preston.

Oh... And his hip-drop. You can't do that. Every team has copped hip drop penalties and suspensions. They have to
get that out of the game, players and coaches have to address that. The same as the cocked arm and head contact.

The consequences of repeated concussions matter more than people bitching about the game being soft.
Coaches need to start coaching. Don't drop on players legs. Don't hit players in the head. They'll learn and change
their techniques eventually. The better teams will do it faster.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Burton is not a centre. He played 3/4 of a season there in a gun Panthers side. Isaac Tago is doing a better job than Burton did there.

People are always comparing Burton as a centre at Penrith vs Burton as a five eighth for Canterbury. I guarantee you if he played centre for us the past 2 years they wouldnt be saying what a good centre his is. Its comparing apples with farkin bowling balls.

He played all of his juniors at five eighth. Of course he has work to do there but there is a severe lack of NRL quality halves and he has enough talent to persevere with him there
Ok then he is a crappy 5/8th who has shown no improvement since joining us. Everyone next to him gets blamed but the koala is untouchable. I guess it's Sextons fault now.

Not a piss take, just reality.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

There's the obvious:

Hard to argue with some of those points, but what I will say is this, TPJ and Burton was not a Ciraldo or Gould target, this was the former regime.

Gus is not perfect mind you, the Sutton deal was a poor choice imo, RFM tanked badly for reasons unbeknown and Josh Reynolds was a brain fart decision but I think it was designed to create culture and set standards.

Let’s see what the Clubs next play is, I think we’re all anxious in anticipation - if I’m reading between the lines, the next few signings will be 1 & 2 year contracts of experienced players like Jordan McLean, Tariq Sims and Nathan Brown for example.. but who knows??!!

RefWorld

Waterboy
Reaction score

Playing 5/8 as junior where you are bigger than everyone else is not the same as playing 5/8 in the NRL.
The same as with Schuster. But Schuster has a much higher ceiling. But he needs to get fit and get his act together.

Burton can't kick, apart from a bomb which is becoming less effective over time. He hasn't got a passing game, he's
not a clever player and he doesn't take hold of a game and stand up and lead from the front.

And Burton is no rookie: He's 23 and has played 76 NRL games plus SOO and for Aust.

But you're right as to whether he would have been any better at centre, but he's a better player than he's showing.
He looks disinterested a lot of the time. Don't know what his problem is. He seems to have good life off the field.
Maybe it's just that he needs to be in gun team to play well. At centre.

Whatever his problem is CC needs to get more out of him.