Sutton - “Difficulties adapting to the club’s defensive structure”

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that Ciraldo had another team of newbies, and regulars out through injury. Been the same all year.

The way to develop a defensive or attacking structure is to have a regular team structure, and we have not seen the same team on the field more than twice in a row. The same players, playing together for half of the season would have seen the Bulldogs more competitive than they currently are.

Next week will see more team shuffles as players come back, or are dropped for their performance.

It's not easy to develop a style when the same players are not lining up every week.

Even teams full of stars, like Storm, Bunnies, and Sharks, are leaking points. What are they doing wrong?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
As much as Ciraldo is making bizarre decisions, I don't buy into this whole defensive structure bullshit..

Rugby League isn't a complicated sport. Tackle the man with the ball and defenders on either side come across and help..

No matter how shit the structure and coaching may be, that doesn't excuse the players from horrible misses on the goal line and conceding line breaks/tries on kick chases etc..
Coming up in a line, and sliding with the ball is the key to a good defence. Clever halves look for ways to bring a defender up, out of the line, or make him slide across with a dummy or false runner. We are falling for that too often, with ragged defence, where it is easy to find gaps to put players through.

Hold the line is all it takes.

Malla

Reaction score
As much as Ciraldo is making bizarre decisions, I don't buy into this whole defensive structure bullshit..

Rugby League isn't a complicated sport. Tackle the man with the ball and defenders on either side come across and help..

No matter how shit the structure and coaching may be, that doesn't excuse the players from horrible misses on the goal line and conceding line breaks/tries on kick chases etc..
What you are saying is players must take personal accountability.... doesn't seem like many actually know what this means lol

Malla

Reaction score
Coming up in a line, and sliding with the ball is the key to a good defence. Clever halves look for ways to bring a defender up, out of the line, or make him slide across with a dummy or false runner. We are falling for that too often, with ragged defence, where it is easy to find gaps to put players through.

Just look at the way TPJ was rushing off the line multiple times against Penrith and how they exploited it
Same thing against parra, look at how Moses exploited it

Defensive structures are ultimately communication and trust in each other. Move up as a line, slide as a line, move back as a line etc. It's easy when things are going your way, but as you fatigue and things get difficult, the 'structures' start to fall off. I think structures is just the buzz term the media is using at the moment. It's not all that complicated, however as B-Train said it's just comes down to the individual taking accountability.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I don't mind sutton, but he is not a starting prop, he is ok coming off the bench and can bring lots of energy and runs hard. However we are making him start and he is running hard and getting smashed.If we could land a forward or two he is worth keeping off the bench. As an effort player you would have thought he would have been one of CCS pets.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
again it’s this structure we keep hearing about. Anyone actually know what this is and why players can’t adapt to it?

any system is copied and learnt sooner rather than later. So the boys would have had an outsiders perspective on the system cause they would have watched video on it before.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think there’s way more going on behind the scenes than we’ll ever know. Sounding like Ciraldo is losing the playing group to me though.
My guess is it’s a case we have half our squad out injured and there is a large portion on field who either aren’t nrl quality/ready yet or been told they aren’t getting contracts or can leave.

Yesterday we had at best 6 blokes we want to see there.

Mahoney is cooked from busting his ass and getting little help.

Burton we know will be class.

Kiraz is learning centre and in my
Opinion was terrible yesterday but we know he’s a good player and probably a case of trying to much surrounded by shit.

King and tpj can be a asset. Skelton and Wilson look promising but are learning like kiraz.

Rest? Fick off.

Add critta with xerri and get Jac
Kikau Preston sexton on the field and it’s not terrible.

Thompson money has to go to an alpha like
Tino or haas one of these 2 is a must. I’d love to see Gus Go all in for The pair of them and make that our future.

Pack of Tino haas kikau Preston king tpj and backs with Jac xerri kiraz skelton/Wilson

Spine of critta burtons sexton Mahoney can be something to compete for sure!!!

No doubt we trying to talk to those 2 just if either will actually leave.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wasn't aware we had any defensive structures tbh
we have no structure in attack or defence, even yesterday one of the commentators said what we lack structure when we were near the penrith line

We get the odd flukey try off a burton bomb, intercept or a mistake from opposition

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Was always joking to be tension in the dressing room this year with so many unsigned players. Also CC wasn't involved in their recruitment of most so he might want to make the team his.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
On reflection Yesterday the club was unable to select - Jac, Kikau, Preston, Sexton, Thompson, Patolo, Sutton, Casey, Burns, Oloapu, EQW, Kautaga, Hoffman and Pele from their top 30 - 14 unavailable! Half would have been in yesterdays team if availab

Explains why the club - not just fg, struggled yesterday - doesnt excuse the diabolical defence but is significant.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I'm not saying Ciraldo can't improve the defence by making players more accountable or dropping repeat offenders and horrible defenders like Okunbur and Perham etc.. He should be doing that..

But at the same time players need to take personal accountability for poor effort and dumb plays like TPJ constantly racing out of the line or Alamoti running past the winger on a kick chase or Mahoney, Flanagan etc missing simple tackles near the goal line..

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mind sutton, but he is not a starting prop, he is ok coming off the bench and can bring lots of energy and runs hard. However we are making him start and he is running hard and getting smashed.If we could land a forward or two he is worth keeping off the bench. As an effort player you would have thought he would have been one of CCS pets.
he is the biggest cat in the club and that’s saying something. he makes negative metres

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying Ciraldo can't improve the defence by making players more accountable or dropping repeat offenders and horrible defenders like Okunbur and Perham etc.. He should be doing that..

But at the same time players need to take personal accountability for poor effort and dumb plays like TPJ constantly racing out of the line or Alamoti running past the winger on a kick chase or Mahoney, Flanagan etc missing simple tackles near the goal line..
But that's what I'm saying. Didn't Ciraldo make them sit down and watch last week's game, giving them the opportunity to see where they're going wrong and make the criticisms, instead of him doing it for them?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Players making minimal effort and missing simple tackles near the goal line etc must surely indicate there are somehow problems within the team. Why are they performing so poorly and why do continual offenders keep getting picked. Theres not much to choose from but a coach sets the standards and earns his players respect when he makes players accountable for their perfrmance with actions not just words at a press conference. For too long the guys have not been accountable.

After their self assessment post game session this week, they "somewhat" improved.

They look demoralised, unenthusiastic with no self belief and yet still delusional after their poor performances.

Lets hope with guys coming back and therefore it looking a better functioning team with more skill and confidence that we go well for the next few games.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think there’s way more going on behind the scenes than we’ll ever know. Sounding like Ciraldo is losing the playing group to me though.
If he was losing the player group, we lose at Penrith by 50-60+ and we don’t score the last 2 tries of the match… bearing in mind we had 5 First Graders out.

If I’m a key player in the team, I want these changes and announcements to be made, it is required to get us where we need to be.

One thing I would question though, Chad Randall our defence coach, he’s not there to buy donuts for the coaching unit, he’s the lead defensive coach so not sure how he’s executing a plan because it’s been terrible 2nd half of the season.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s just a nice way to spin that he wants out of this dumpster fire of a season we are having. With Lane’s injury I wouldnt be surprised if he angles for a move to Parramatta.
If we can get this dud, RFM & Thompson off the books we should have more than enough to sign Haas and/or Tino pretty easily
We might be a chance of both Tino and Fifita with Haas the following year IF we don't re-sign TPJ which is highly likely

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
again it’s this structure we keep hearing about. Anyone actually know what this is and why players can’t adapt to it?

any system is copied and learnt sooner rather than later. So the boys would have had an outsiders perspective on the system cause they would have watched video on it before.
All I see is a team that can't defend?

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laundy and Gus need to Nail both Haas and Tino then we will be back.
We don’t have anyone expect TPJ close to one million and that’s it.
Send him packing also.
I've said this before...

Getting both Tino & Hass is achievable.
Offer them both 1.05 million over 8 years and the foundation for our success is set. Front load the deals as much as you can and watch the premierships come.

JUST DO IT.

1. Crichton
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Skelton
5. Foxx
6. Burton
7. Sexytime
8. Tino
9. Mahoney
10. Hass
11. Kikau