2023 State of Origin Game 1 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have to watch afew more replays but after watching about 3, I couldn't see Flegler with a shoulder to the head of Turbo...

In fact I didn't even realise Turbo went off with a Grade 1 HIA!!

From what I saw, Flegler tries to go in for a big shot but combined with another QLD forward (I think Carrigan or Arrow or someone) gets shoved laterally and collides awkwardly with Turbo.

Still couldn't see where the high contact was and still felt it was a ricochet rather than a direct hit.

Even Andrew Johns couldn't see it as a penalty let alone a sin bin....

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'd have to watch afew more replays but after watching about 3, I couldn't see Flegler with a shoulder to the head of Turbo...

In fact I didn't even realise Turbo went off with a Grade 1 HIA!!

From what I saw, Flegler tries to go in for a big shot but combined with another QLD forward (I think Carrigan or Arrow or someone) gets shoved laterally and collides awkwardly with Turbo.

Still couldn't see where the high contact was and still felt it was a ricochet rather than a direct hit.

Even Andrew Johns couldn't see it as a penalty let alone a sin bin....
Don't think MRC will get involved.
Edit: fined wow.

Last edited:

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone else think the whole latrell withdraw was strange?
Heard he may be playing this weekend....
Something not quiet right.....
He’s not a fan of Freddy. Same as Wighton hence his retirement. I think they believe he’s racist with his JAC omission last season and hence they don’t want to play for him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just saw replay of Flegler sin bin what a pathetic decision. Klien and the halfwits in the bunker were rubbish all night. Too many stoppages ruined the game as a spectacle.
Don't know how you get sin binned for an accidental head clash but welcome to the NRL of 2023..

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I cannot get over the calamity of how he 'used' Hynes.

Hynes got fucked over royally tonight.
When Hynes was picked, i wasn't sure how Fittler would use (or misuse) him. Who was he going to replace? Would he have come on if Turbo didn't go off with HIA?

It looks like they picked him on his club form without a clear plan for him.

I think Burton should have been on the bench as 1 to 7 in the backline would have been covered.

Actually, I'm glad Burton wasn't picked. Otherwise Ciraldo would have to undo Fittler's coaching.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
NSW had everything go their way last night.. The Api try that was a clear knock on.. Flegler binned for an accidental head clash.. QLD losing Gilbert early and then two outside backs in Cobbo and Taulagi late.. NSW had 30 plus tackles in the QLD 20.. And QLD still came back despite all of that and being down to 12 players..

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cotter, who was given man of the match honours, will be fined between 10-13% of his Origin match fee for a crusher tackle on Blues winger Josh Addo-Carr in the 53rd minute.

Flegler, who was sin-binned in 69th minute for his shot on Tom Trbojevic that left the Sea Eagles fullback concussed, has been hit with a Grade 2 Careless High Tackle charge and faces a fine of between 13-20% of his Origin match fee.

Both Cotter and Flegler will be available for their NRL sides in Round 14.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cotter, who was given man of the match honours, will be fined between 10-13% of his Origin match fee for a crusher tackle on Blues winger Josh Addo-Carr in the 53rd minute.

Flegler, who was sin-binned in 69th minute for his shot on Tom Trbojevic that left the Sea Eagles fullback concussed, has been hit with a Grade 2 Careless High Tackle charge and faces a fine of between 13-20% of his Origin match fee.

Both Cotter and Flegler will be available for their NRL sides in Round 14.

Both players shouldn't have to pay a cent. Fox backed into Cotter, there was no crusher. Why was Flegler charged and fined for an accidental head clash? Being wrongly binned in an Origin game is punishment enough! The NRL have lost their minds..

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They may be injured or whatever the fact that both Campbell graham and latrell both pulled out shows you the difference between NSW and QLD. There is no chance on earth any of those qld players would pull out and go play club footy the same week. Even if they were 18th 19th 20th man

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Both players shouldn't have to pay a cent. Fox backed into Cotter, there was no crusher. Why was Flegler charged and fined for an accidental head clash? Being wrongly binned in an Origin game is punishment enough! The NRL have lost their minds..
If you can’t see the crusher on Fox and the contact to the head on Turbo your not watching. They have to fine them because it happened.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They may be injured or whatever the fact that both Campbell graham and latrell both pulled out shows you the difference between NSW and QLD. There is no chance on earth any of those qld players would pull out and go play club footy the same week. Even if they were 18th 19th 20th man
Yeah but they aren’t playing for a shit **** of a coach in QLD.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you can’t see the crusher on Fox and the contact to the head on Turbo your not watching. They have to fine them because it happened.
There wasn't much Cotter could do with the crusher. When attacking players back into the defender then I think a lot of those crusher calls are harsh on the defender.

There was nothing Flegler could do with Turbo. Obviously he made contact with the head but that was with his own head. Since when is a head clash a sin bin? It was purely accidental. If the Bulldogs had a call like that against them we'd all be fuming.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NSW can blame whomever they want - for me, these halves have again failed to deliver.

That was Clearys 14th origin match. I can barely remember a game he’s dominated.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Foxx was dying when it happened & then the miracle happened & he wasn't hurt.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There wasn't much Cotter could do with the crusher. When attacking players back into the defender then I think a lot of those crusher calls are harsh on the defender.

There was nothing Flegler could do with Turbo. Obviously he made contact with the head but that was with his own head. Since when is a head clash a sin bin? It was purely accidental. If the Bulldogs had a call like that against them we'd all be fuming.
Fox didn’t back into the tackle, he got turned mid tackle.

Also wasn’t a head clash. The first shot made it look like a head clash, which was easy considering it was the worst angle to show it and the have the pumpkins in the commentary go off too quick, but then the reverse shot showed it was a shoulder.