Phil Gould knocked back by Ben Hunt as Bulldogs search for a seven

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton is being referred to as "the centre" because his best footy has been at centre and at rep level, yet no one refers to Hunt as "the hooker" when his best footy is played at hooker and that's where he plays his rep footy...

QLD gave up on him a long time ago as a halfback for good reason. As did the Broncos. He's struggled massively at halfback for Saints over the years. I think it's funny that Burton is meant to be the main problem for our attack, but those that want Hunt ignore all of his flaws and make excuses for him that they don't make for Burton..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Burton is being referred to as "the centre" because his best footy has been at centre and at rep level, yet no one refers to Hunt as "the hooker" when his best footy is played at hooker and that's where he plays his rep footy...

QLD gave up on him a long time ago as a halfback for good reason. As did the Broncos. He's struggled massively at halfback for Saints over the years. I think it's funny that Burton is meant to be the main problem for our attack, but those that want Hunt ignore all of his flaws and make excuses for him that they don't make for Burton..
Hunt is not the best option, but the best option that MAY be the only plausible option at the moment.

Everyone craps on that Burton needs an established HB next to him, Hunt is an established HB that could be available.

But then they will say ok he has a HB next to him but needs a representative pack in front of him.

When will you stop making excuses for him. If a player needs a rep level spine and pack to perform are they that good as you think they are?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

It's all about the market though and Hunt would be the best 7 on the market. Everyone knows both players weaknesses, but its either get him or suffer with Reynolds or an inexperienced partner to help Burton and alleviate his flaws so he can play to his strengths.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hunt is not the best option, but the best option that MAY be the only plausible option at the moment.

Everyone craps on that Burton needs an established HB next to him, Hunt is an established HB that could be available.

But then they will say ok he has a HB next to him but needs a representative pack in front of him.

When will you stop making excuses for him. If a player needs a rep level spine and pack to perform are they that good as you think they are?
I'm not making excuses for him. I've been more critical of him this year for the things that he can control. Having a decent pack that doesn't get dominated every week is important for any half though..

I think once we get our pack sorted, then hopefully the halves can play with more freedom and aren't always chasing points and forcing things.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's all about the market though and Hunt would be the best 7 on the market. Everyone knows both players weaknesses, but its either get him or suffer with Reynolds or an inexperienced partner to help Burton and alleviate his flaws so he can play to his strengths.
He's the best on the market but he's well past his best and would cost a tonne. Plus halfback isn't his best position! What if we sign him for 2 years/$2 million and he's ordinary, we still can't score points and we're stuck with his deal til he's 36 or whatever? No one will take him and we just wasted another few seasons.

Meanwhile Oloapu would probably leave because he's only playing as a bench player and wants to play halves. Trust the process. Don't panic and waste money on Hunt when he's not the answer.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm not making excuses for him. I've been more critical of him this year for the things that he can control. Having a decent pack that doesn't get dominated every week is important for any half though..

I think once we get our pack sorted, then hopefully the halves can play with more freedom and aren't always chasing points and forcing things.
If only our highest paid middles did their job. One can't make the field and the other cuck does nothing on it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If only our highest paid middles did their job. One can't make the field and the other cuck does nothing on it.
Yeah Tranny Pangai Jnr has been a massive disappointment. Unfortunately just like with halves though, there are very few good props available. Gus will need to find another King or Preston or hope someone asks for a release. I'd kill to get someone like JWH, Horse or even Moeaki but it will never happen.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everything in our side is effected buy our fowards and lack of grunt both in attack and D. All backs look better when defence's are rolling backwards and there is space to play and run for the backline. I still think Hunt would have a Maloney effect for us with our young halves but just fixing the roster of our big blokes and keeping them fit would make a heap of difference to our attack.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seriously, would Hunt etc want any officials at his own dinner.

It would be for his mates to celebrate with him.

The drunk making a mountain out of a molehill.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's the best on the market but he's well past his best and would cost a tonne. Plus halfback isn't his best position! What if we sign him for 2 years/$2 million and he's ordinary, we still can't score points and we're stuck with his deal til he's 36 or whatever? No one will take him and we just wasted another few seasons.

Meanwhile Oloapu would probably leave because he's only playing as a bench player and wants to play halves. Trust the process. Don't panic and waste money on Hunt when he's not the answer.
There isn't any decent middles worth big money off contract. If we have to spend a mil on Hunt to spend 95% of our cap, then I'd say that's a decent investment even if he flops. Would rather have it invested in him compared to players like Stimson in last seasons. I do feel his best asset would be his experience, Mahoney needs Hunt calming influence just as much as Burton does.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't think Dragons will even entertain the idea of releasing him. He's probably the 3rd best half in the comp. He's signed on for a few more years. I would imagine that he would be a carat they would dangle to any new coach they want to sign.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
There isn't any decent middles worth big money off contract. If we have to spend a mil on Hunt to spend 95% of our cap, then I'd say that's a decent investment even if he flops. Would rather have it invested in him compared to players like Stimson in last seasons. I do feel his best asset would be his experience, Mahoney needs Hunt calming influence just as much as Burton does.
Hunt does appear to be frustrated at what is around him. He keeps me making mistakes because there is no quality around him and he over plays his hand. You are right, I think playing with Mahoney and Burton might bring the best of Hunt. He is legitimately a better option than Pearce. We can’t persist with Oloapu and Reynolds..

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just don't think Dragons will even entertain the idea of releasing him. He's probably the 3rd best half in the comp. He's signed on for a few more years. I would imagine that he would be a carat they would dangle to any new coach they want to sign.
I think they might, he is on huge money. Could have a destabilising effect on the squad as he has been vocal about their performance. He was moved to hooker to accomodate Amone and Sullivan. Hunt has stated he does not like playing there.

It would make sense for the Dragons to cut their losses and rebuild. Mind you, I want him at the Dogs haha.