Murray Hip Drop

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let’s see the NRL come out and defend this. Demetriou came out like a sook saying it’s on the players. Maybe he needs to have a chat with his captain. This is more the traditional hip drop opposed to Preston’s BS excuse of a sin bin.
This is the full clip. Also note the first defender holds him up while Murray drops his hip on his lower leg. Then the second defender is choking Preston around the head. Nothing said. Fucking joke.

Long weekend for the nrlol match review committee?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is something seriously disturbing when these frivolous penalty sin bins happen, where a team is effectively rendered no chance of competing bc of defending 10 mins one man down...then later player and fans have it confirmed that the sin bin was totally unjustified.

Meanwhile a fully dedicated, loyal, 100% effort rookie player who gives his heart and soul to his club, team mates and supporter base is treated like dirt, dismissed from the field of play and accused by both the bunker official and the loudmouth opposition coach of being a cheating scumbag out to destroy and hurt his fellow NRL players by tackling illegally.

I hope Preston isn't shaken up too much by the whole farce. He looked devastated last night.
We might'nt have won, but it's as ridiculous as flannos sin bin in round 1

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is the full clip. Also note the first defender holds him up while Murray drops his hip on his lower leg. Then the second defender is choking Preston around the head. Nothing said. Fucking joke.

That was far worse and looked more a premeditated, coached, defensive tackling style than Prestons was by far. He is getting a "choke hold" by the top defender and Murray buckling his legs rendering him completely helpless to land safely.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The Murray one should be referred to the NRL judiciary. Souths blew up big time defending the Preston binning, saying that the NRL needs to crack down on that sort of play - well let's see them do it.

Also with the Burgess dog act on Reynolds. We should learn to take the big dive and roll around in fake agony to milk penalties like the top sides do.
I honestly can't wait until all Burgess bros are gone from our game. Stupid wankfest of a family who have had all their misdemeanors swept under the rug

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to work out some of these 6 again decisions we seem to cop more than any other team
A team that has spent the better part of the game defending, tires and becomes frustrated after successive assaults by a stronger team on their line.

It is then that they have trouble staying on side, or try to hold down players to get a bit of a breather and get their players back on side. That is when some refs will go full rule of law, and make it harder for them to defend by awarding repeat sets or penalties.

The attacking side is fresher, and able to rush up in defence and shut down any attack from the team that has been worn into the ground. The ref will usually turn a blind eye to any of their hold downs and offside play, as he is only watching one side.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, Murray's wasn't a hip drop at all. He knelt on the ground and tackled around the hips. He only left the ground because Preston dragged him off of it. A hip drop involves shifting your weight from your legs to the opposition player's legs and allowing the extra weight to buckle them.

Preston's was probably closer than Murray's but neither were.
Easy to see you have red and green eyes. Murray clearly buckled Prestons legs yet Preston was in front of the player he was supposed to have hip dropped... get it right.

Last edited:

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Easy to see you have red and green eyes. Murray clearly buckled Prestons legs yet Preston was in front of the player he was supposed to have hip dropped... get it right.
I've been a Dogs supporter for 32 years. I just know the rules, champ. The legs buckling itself means nothing. The player has to transfer their weight from their own legs to the opposition's legs and then swing their hips around the opposition, essentially forcing the opposition to carry them. Murray was kneeling and his legs were on the ground. Cut and dry. But instead of acting like fucking muppets and calling each other Souff's supporters, why not review the NRL's key indicator's of a hip drop?

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've been a Dogs supporter for 32 years. I just know the rules, champ. The legs buckling itself means nothing. The player has to transfer their weight from their own legs to the opposition's legs and then swing their hips around the opposition, essentially forcing the opposition to carry them. Murray was kneeling and his legs were on the ground. Cut and dry. But instead of acting like fucking muppets and calling each other Souff's supporters, why not review the NRL's key indicator's of a hip drop?

The ref's need to review the nrlol's rule book,so they may become consistent

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The ref's need to review the nrlol's rule book,so they may become consistent
Yeah, it was a farce that Preston got called for a hip drop JUST as it looked like we were mounting a comeback, which was then immediately dismissed by the MRC. I don't really buy in to the whole match fixing narrative but, if I did, it's that sort of inconsistency that I'd be highlighting.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

And you believe anything that Annersley says!!! The NRLol can't even establish an efficient set of rules let alone having a "key indicator" to explain a tackling style.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And you believe anything that Annersley says!!! The NRLol can't even establish an efficient set of rules let alone having a "key indicator" to explain a tackling style.
Sorry mate, you can bluster all you want about the quality of the NRL's administration (and be right) but the hip drop is a very specific type of tackle. It was recognised as such and the league agreed to stamp it out. The issue lies in the refs not understanding (deliberately, I'd say, in some cases) what it actually is and "enforcing" the rule as it suits them (Preston's alleged "hip drop" at a pivotal moment in the game).

Murray's tackle just wasn't a hip drop. This whole call out is just age-old fan behaviour, trying to call out double standards because we lost. You can legally tackle a player around their hips/legs from a kneeling position. That's what Murray did. He only left the ground because there was another player in the tackle and Preston's momentum dragged him off his knees. In that split second, Murray's weight was hanging from Preston, which sucks, but it was incidental and this is a contact sport FFS. All I want to see is a fair and impartial implementation of the policy. They got the Murray call right, they got the Preston call wrong. Pretty standard shit from the refs right now.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, it was a farce that Preston got called for a hip drop JUST as it looked like we were mounting a comeback, which was then immediately dismissed by the MRC. I don't really buy in to the whole match fixing narrative but, if I did, it's that sort of inconsistency that I'd be highlighting.
It’s not about match fixing it’s about the hate that Sutton scum has for the dogs.

11-2 penalty count.

The forward pass that was a try.

10 minutes in the bin.

The no penalty for squeezing Reynolds balls.

Not stopping playing when fox was screaming in pain.

the obstruction no try one week but ok the other.

you can’t deny one team is getting better calls.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s not about match fixing it’s about the hate that Sutton scum has for the dogs.

11-2 penalty count.

The forward pass that was a try.

10 minutes in the bin.

The no penalty for squeezing Reynolds balls.

Not stopping playing when fox was screaming in pain.

the obstruction no try one week but ok the other.

you can’t deny one team is getting better calls.
There has been talk recently about the NRL and their relationship with Sportsbet (and the Dogs partnership with Reclaim The Game.) That's what I was referring to.
100% Sutton hates us.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There has been talk recently about the NRL and their relationship with Sportsbet (and the Dogs partnership with Reclaim The Game.) That's what I was referring to.
100% Sutton hates us.
Sorry my bad

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Na they both got cleared, the bunker has just lost the plot. Anytime there is an injury they feel someone has to be blamed and then punished.
So the NRLol want a contact sport with no injuries in other words. Well if they want no injuries then change the comp to oztag, even then there will still be injuries. Wait, let’s ban sport altogether!

Last edited: