News Should Canterbury persist with Kyle Flanagan? NRL legends urge Bulldogs to 'bite the bullet' after Round 4

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Think you are all being a bit harsh on Flanno. Let me reminder all of you what he said in the preseason.

"I just need to go out there and be Kyle Flanagan. I don't think I've shown consistently in first grade what Kyle Flanagan looks like. In previous times I've tried to go out there and be someone else or replicate somebody else's game," Flanagan said.

"The focus for me, this pre-season, is to be Kyle Flanagan, play to what his strengths are and that's mis-directing the footy team around and being completely invisible out there."

I think he's meeting all his KPIs. Cannot ask for much more :dizzy:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Reason being CC is defence oriented and at least Flanno can do that soundly. No other half in the club capable of steering the ship and from what I’ve seen from Aloapu, he’s definitely not ready.
KO defends just as well as Flamingo, already kicks better than both flamingo and the centre, runs better than both, sets up and scores more than they do, actually has vision.

Only thing our crappy halves have over him is experience in FG, more losses than wins, but that's all they have over KO.

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Last year my brother....last year.

Still haven't seen it this year.
Okay because he’s mysteriously lost that flukey ability or maybe tactical and CC doesn’t want the team or Burto to be dependent on it lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Okay because he’s mysteriously lost that flukey ability or maybe tactical and CC doesn’t want the team or Burto to be dependent on it lol
Without that flukey kick, he has nothing.

Listen no offence but im growing tired of this conversation.

I don't buy the injury excuse or any other excuse. If the centre wants to be a half, then he needs massive improvement and fast.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No not on TK.

You haave to argue that Flanno is a good player.
Okenbor was a shit winger but now a great forward.
Topine is a shit player.
Burton is a shit player.
Next.....:grinning:
Knockonbur is a shirt grabber. Go watch the Warriors game and watch how he tackles...by grabbing the shirt.

Reactions: CCC

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
QUOTE="XR6T, post: 4626060, member: 5744"]
Knockonbur is a shirt grabber. Go watch the Warriors game and watch how he tackles...by grabbing the shirt.
[/QUOTE]
You dont have to tell me.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes The Passenger needs to go
Been named again and should spend the game shutting down Townsend since he has no kicking game, can't throw a dummy and sidestep.

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
KO defends just as well as Flamingo, already kicks better than both flamingo and the centre, runs better than both, sets up and scores more than they do, actually has vision.

Only thing our crappy halves have over him is experience in FG, more losses than wins, but that's all they have over KO.
Sorry but don’t agree with KO’s defence. Sure he hits good but some of his reads are terrible. If he’s missing tackles in nsw cup imagine first grade. His deficiencies could easily be covered if we had a gun side but we both know it’s not the case. Example Walker at the Roosters whilst he offers a lot in attack, his defence was shocking when he debuted and still not great today but that’s in a gun side.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sorry but don’t agree with KO’s defence. Sure he hits good but some of his reads are terrible. If he’s missing tackles in nsw cup imagine first grade. His deficiencies could easily be covered if we had a gun side but we both know it’s not the case. Example Walker at the Roosters whilst he offers a lot in attack, his defence was shocking when he debuted and still not great today but that’s in a gun side.
That's fine if you dont agree.

Flamingo has standard defence, just gets highlighted because he literally has nothing else to talk about, absolutely nothing.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Walker was a bulldog TK would still have him be in reserve grade to work on that defence.

We are just so backwards here

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If/when KO is picked in firsts, he will need a bit of cover when defending but I'm sure Preston and the coaching staff can help him out there. After all, you don't buy a half for his defence.
He’ll get a run at some stage. Until we’re dominating games it’s unlikely to happen. Being light on in the engine room due to injuries hasn’t helped his chances. He’d be on a hiding to nothing playing behind a pack that’s getting beaten every week which is the case atm. Having Sutton and King as starting props means that we’ll be likely on the back foot against most sides straight from the kickoff. I’d rank our current starting front row at 17th in the competition.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kyle won’t be here in 24’ so I guess we just have to be patient. Until Ciro is ready to pull the pin on him. I’m sure KO has been pulled aside and told what they need to see from him. We are 2/4 so I can see why there hasn’t been any big changed yet.
The very fact they shifted KO to halfback indicates the intent

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Volkman to get a start in the halves at warriors, didn’t he kick off in dogs juniors. Looked ok in the reserve grade game against us. Most serious contenders continue to produce capable halves.
If we are looking to Reynolds as plan b if Flanagan and/or Burton go missing, and plan to keep KO on ice, gonna be a long season.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Walker was a bulldog TK would still have him be in reserve grade to work on that defence.

We are just so backwards here
Agree on this point, his one-on-one defence is really good for an 18yo kid, he’ll learn to read defences at NRL level better over time, but you put a capable defender next to him just to look after him at his age and let him play eyes up footy, he looks dangerous every time he touches the ball, nice kicking game and makes good choices.

Why delay the inevitable, the kid can play and would demand the attention of the opponent taking pressure away from Burto and giving us another attacking threat.