News Cannoli,Flowers and a Lebanese Restaurant: Why Ciraldo Chose Bulldogs Over Tigers

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Wests Tigers head-hunted Cameron Ciraldo. They offered the biggest contract for a rookie coach in NRL history. This is the inside story of how he ended up with Phil Gould at the Bulldogs.

Via SMH Sport by Michael Chammas

MARCH 17, 2023

Inside a Lebanese restaurant at Brighton le Sands last winter, Cameron Ciraldo sat with his agent George Mimis to discuss a five-year deal on the table at the Wests Tigers.

They were the only two people in the restaurant. At least that’s what they thought until they saw two men make their way down the stairs from an upper level they didn’t know was there.

One of the men, well known to many powerful rugby league identities with close ties to the Bulldogs, made his way over to greet them. Given the press that week, it wasn’t hard to work out why Ciraldo was meeting with his manager.

Before they could finish their kafta and hummus, Ciraldo and Mimis received separate text messages almost simultaneously from Phil Gould.

Gould outlined the challenges that were ahead for the Bulldogs, refusing to sugar-coat the scale of the task that lay ahead for whoever was to become Trent Barrett’s successor at Canterbury.

Knowing that Ciraldo was weighing up a massive offer from the Tigers, Gould threw his hat in the ring and requested a meeting with the pair if Ciraldo was ready to walk away from his role as an assistant coach at Penrith.

Until a few months earlier, Ciraldo had no intention of leaving the Panthers. The Herald can reveal that Ciraldo was given the impression his mentor, Ivan Cleary, wanted to transition out of coaching and into to a senior managerial role at the Panthers within the next couple of years. Ciraldo was willing to bide his time.

It wasn’t until a couple of days before the club signed off on a five-year extension for both Ivan and Nathan Cleary did Ciraldo become aware of the coach’s intention to remain at the helm long term.

Ciraldo re-thought his options. The Tigers’ pursuit of him went back to the end of 2021 season. Well before the 38-0 shellacking at the hands of Canterbury, the wooden-spooners that year, in the final round that led to an internal review into another disaster season under coach Michael Maguire, the Tigers had put out the feelers.

Their patience had worn out and they wanted to gauge the appetite of the man considered the best coach without a NRL head gig.

At the time, Ciraldo was locked away with the Panthers at a hotel in the Sunshine Coast preparing for the finals series.

Joining the Tigers would have meant that, after 12 weeks on the road with his family in Queensland, he would have jumped into his first NRL head coaching job without a day’s preparation.

He also had intimated that he wouldn’t put his name up for the job while Maguire was still employed. The Tigers, though, didn’t want to sack Maguire without a back-up plan.

On the morning that Maguire was due to meet with club powerbrokers to discuss his future in 2021, the Tigers were made aware that any attempt to lure Ciraldo that summer would be a waste of time.

A lack of a plan B, combined with Maguire’s vow to undertake a raft of changes for the following season, resulted in the Tigers coach holding on to his job.

But the stay of execution was only temporary. A couple of months into the 2022 season, the Tigers threw out the bait to see if Ciraldo had had a change of heart.

This time they were far more confident he was ready to take the plunge. Once again, Ciraldo wouldn’t meet with the Tigers if they hadn’t made a decision on the incumbent. A few weeks later, Maguire was gone.

The Tigers made it clear they were in the market for a development coach. That was code for Ciraldo – a Balmain tragic who celebrated the 2005 Wests Tigers premiership at Northies despite having made his NRL debut for the Sharks that same year.

Ciraldo and his partner Kim began looking at property in the inner west. They often parked the family car outside the club’s Concord centre of excellence, which was under construction at the time, to get a feel for the job he was giving strong consideration to taking.

A couple of weeks later he agreed to a secret meeting with the club’s powerbrokers at their temporary base out the back of Concord Oval.

There were aspects of the club that impressed him, including the passion of chairman Lee Hagipantelis. Knowing Ciraldo’s Italian heritage, Hagipantelis asked a bakery in Burwood to open on their day off to make cannoli to take for Ciraldo and his family.

Hagipantelis also sent flowers to the family’s home in western Sydney as a gesture of appreciation for meeting with them.

Ciraldo liked what he saw with the pathways and the juniors coming through the system. The club’s once-dire salary-cap position had also changed significantly, allowing the Tigers to be active in the marketplace.

But before Ciraldo had returned home from the meeting, he was reading about it in the press. It immediately set alarm bells ringing.

As excited as Ciraldo was about the five-year deal on the table, for every reason to take the job he found another why he shouldn’t.

The treatment of former Tigers general manager Adam Hartigan, who was moved on at the request of Tim Sheens to allow for the return of Sheens’ right-hand man and recruitment manager Warren McDonnell, left Ciraldo questioning the club’s judgment.

Hartigan now works with Ciraldo at the Bulldogs, so high is the coach’s opinion of the former Tigers head of football.

As much as he was flattered to receive calls from chief executive Justin Pascoe, Hagipantelis and Sheens during their pursuit, it left him confused as to who was calling the shots. Pascoe declined to comment when contacted by the Herald.

The Tigers thought they were doing the right thing by indicating to Ciraldo that he would have complete control of all aspects of the football operation. For a rookie coach, that amount of responsibility wasn’t something he was after.

Ciraldo later took umbrage when information from what he thought was a confidential meeting about how he believed he could lure Stephen Crichton to the Tigers if the centre chose to leave Penrith made its way into the papers.

Ciraldo spent a week visualising himself as the Tigers coach. Every morning he would wake up and play out scenarios through his mind as if he was the coach of the club.

When he called Wests Tigers senior management to turn down their offer, he did so without a deal on the table from the Bulldogs.

The only thing he had from the Bulldogs was a text message from Gould he had received while lunching at the Lebanese restaurant asking him to meet at his home to discuss the potential of taking the job.

No contract was offered or money discussed, but Ciraldo left Gould’s house under no illusion that the Bulldogs job would be his if he wanted it.

His manager, Mimis, raised concerns about the stability of the Canterbury board. He had experienced how volatile things could be at Belmore when he oversaw his client Des Hasler’s ugly break-up from the club in 2017.

That was when Craig and Arthur Laundy had become involved with the club as sponsors. The businessmen, too, were pondering their future with the Bulldogs and had told Mimis – at a meeting at one of their pubs in Rozelle – they were seeking the same assurances about the stability of the club before recommitting as major sponsor.

The appointment of two new board members in June was a significant step in allaying those concerns.

By the time Ciraldo agreed to meet Gould for a midnight tour of the club’s Belmore facility, he had his heart set on the job. He believed the club suited his personality. The identity of the club, of which he felt that was lacking at the amalgamated Tigers, resonated with him.

The presence of Gould, who could shoulder the burden of running everything outside the first-grade team, appealed to him.

By the time an influential St George Illawarra figure reached out to Ciraldo’s manager in July to gauge his appetite in taking over from Anthony Griffin at the Dragons, it was too late.

Gould, regardless of his public denials, had got his man.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ciraldo spent a week visualising himself as the Tigers coach. Every morning he would wake up and play out scenarios through his mind as if he was the coach of the club.
:tearsofjoy:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus wanted Ciraldo as soon as he signed with us. He gave Barrett his opportunity to prove himself but he always thought Ciraldo was the best man for the job
Sounds good.!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
CC will really want to win against the tigers, he dodged a bullet there Pascoe is a tool. I love the fact that as a rookie coach he didn’t want complete control of the football club it shows that he wants Gus’s input and mentorship.
Good times.

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lee hagipantelis was my compo lawyer(every italian needs a good compo lawyer),,he is solid even if Brydens stung me for $8000 on photocopying fees..I said fuck me I could have bought my own photocopier for that price

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a pretty easy decision between the Bulldogs and the Tigers.. Especially once Gus came on board and our cap and lower grades were sorted.
Nasheed here,
Is it though?
Is it ‘easy’?

we always speak as if the bulldogs are soem marquee blue label premium club to be at.
But the reality is the last decade we have been an absolute basket case. We have killed the careers of Pay, Georgallis, Dymock and Barrett (most likely) as first grade coaching options, we have shafted legends like Graham out the door and killed the careers of many players including Holland, Allen, Lewis, Napa and so forth.
We have had 2 coups and have been placed by infighting up until the Lebanese admin came in a year ago and been bottom of the ladder for years.

I agree we are the smarter choice than the Tigers but it’s a close call.
They had salary cap flexibility, the arrival of Klemmer, Bateman, Api and Papaali, as well as a strong junior setup and not to mention they have won a premiership more recently than us and the pay on offer sounds good.

I guess what I’m getting at is we need to lose the entitled attitude a bit.
‘If Moses wants a premiership he will sign with us for unders’ is still the most absurd one I’ve heard, but this general notion of ‘of course they’ll come to us’ is a bit delusional. Confident is good but this reminds me of Sopranos when Richie Aprile got out of prison and no one remembered him well and he still thought he owned the joint.
stole one from ya @Paulie Gualtieri there

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Is it though?
Is it ‘easy’?

we always speak as if the bulldogs are soem marquee blue label premium club to be at.
But the reality is the last decade we have been an absolute basket case. We have killed the careers of Pay, Georgallis, Dymock and Barrett (most likely) as first grade coaching options, we have shafted legends like Graham out the door and killed the careers of many players including Holland, Allen, Lewis, Napa and so forth.
We have had 2 coups and have been placed by infighting up until the Lebanese admin came in a year ago and been bottom of the ladder for years.

They had salary cap flexibility, the arrival of Klemmer, Bateman, Api and Papaali, as well as a strong junior setup and not to mention they have won a premiership more recently than us and the pay on offer sounds good.

‘If Moses wants a premiership he will sign with us for unders’ is still the most absurd one I’ve heard, but this general notion of ‘of course they’ll come to us’ is a bit delusional. Confident is good but this reminds me of Sopranos when Richie Aprile got out of prison and no one remembered him well and he still thought he owned the joint.
I think the bulldogs are more feech la manna than Richie Aprile,,always talking about the good old times..but I somehow agree with you nasheed

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Is it though?
Is it ‘easy’?

Winning breed’s beautiful arrogance and we are on the up so the pride and arrogance this club has always rightfully had in the past will undoubtedly return steadily with every win, if that’s not to your taste I am happy for you to fuck off and support south’s or any other club of your choosing full time. No amount of trolling from you or your mates will stop this club being a powerhouse again as it has been in the past. You blokes have a had a free run taking the piss out of the club and it’s supporters over the last five or so years, but it’s over Nashweed EAD.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Winning breed’s beautiful arrogance and we are on the up so the pride and arrogance this club has always rightfully had in the past will undoubtedly return steadily with every win, if that’s not to your taste I am happy for you to fuck off and support south’s or any other club of your choosing full time. No amount of trolling from you or your mates will stop this club being a powerhouse again as it has been in the past. You blokes have a had a free run taking the piss out of the club and it’s supporters over the last five or so years, but it’s over Nashweed EAD.
Well I’m stinging because south’s did lose today but I remember you’re the same guy who made snarky comments about Penrith being arrogant and cocky, but when the shoe is on the other foot it’s completes hypocrisy.
And they have wayyyy more reason to be cocky than us.
Back to back premiers, maybe three peat
Sicc juniors
Triple the premierships the last 20 years we have had.

And to me embarrassingly, we ride their cock and buy their players almost exclusively. That’s why people make jokes about us being the panthers reserve grade club.
But yeah ‘we is mighty’ even though we have only won one premiership on the back of cheating when the premiership was 14/15 teams.
Any fan of primary school age would only know us as the leb club that gets the spoon every year.

Be humble Uleh.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well I’m stinging because south’s did lose today but I remember you’re the same guy who made snarky comments about Penrith being arrogant and cocky, but when the shoe is on the other foot it’s completes hypocrisy.
And they have wayyyy more reason to be cocky than us.
Back to back premiers, maybe three peat
Sicc juniors
Triple the premierships the last 20 years we have had.

And to me embarrassingly, we ride their cock and buy their players almost exclusively. That’s why people make jokes about us being the panthers reserve grade club.
But yeah ‘we is mighty’ even though we have only won one premiership on the back of cheating when the premiership was 14/15 teams.
Any fan of primary school age would only know us as the leb club that gets the spoon every year.

Be humble Uleh.
The dogs have the biggest supporter base, are loaded and have been a successful club since the 80s. We have had a terrible 8 years but that does not define our place in the game. West tigers are a made up club with no identity. Panthers have an amazing junior nursery but they win back to back grand finals and a 100 people from mt druitt turn up to celebrate. When we win thousands flock the streets and a suburb gets locked down. We are the fkn bulldogs. You will never understand.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't care why he opted to join us as long as he's regularly got us pushing towards lifting a trophy at season's end.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The dogs have the biggest supporter base, are loaded and have been a successful club since the 80s. We have had a terrible 8 years but that does not define our place in the game. West tigers are a made up club with no identity. Panthers have an amazing junior nursery but they win back to back grand finals and a 100 people from mt druitt turn up to celebrate. When we win thousands flock the streets and a suburb gets locked down. We are the fkn bulldogs. You will never understand.
I didn’t say don’t be proud and there isn’t a reason to be optimistic. Just saying we are one of 17 clubs and we were successful in a different era.
Melb have been much more successful than us all things considered.

707_2Belmore

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fkn oath! I still remember 04, my brothers were partying outside the leagues club and I was partying at Balmore 7-11 with what looked like everyone from Hurlstone Park to Bass Hill. Canterbury Rd was a car park and man what I wouldn’t do to experience that again :hearteyes:
We are a proud, successful club and always will be, regardless of how slim the last several years have been.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn’t say don’t be proud and there isn’t a reason to be optimistic. Just saying we are one of 17 clubs and we were successful in a different era.
Melb have been much more successful than us all things considered.
We were successful in multiple eras and will be again. This why you don’t understand There is context to the success of the Storm. Bankrolled by Newscorp, stacked roster, in an area that the NRL needs a winning club. That snd the fact that the Storm was modelled on the Bulldogs

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fkn oath! I still remember 04, my brothers were partying outside the leagues club and I was partying at Balmore 7-11 with what looked like everyone from Hurlstone Park to Bass Hill. Canterbury Rd was a car park and man what I wouldn’t do to experience that again :hearteyes:
We are a proud, successful club and always will be, regardless of how slim the last several years have been.
We are the NRL, imagine how big the celebrations will be when we win again.
This was when we waited 9 years, imagine what the next one will look like
@Nasheed this is why we are the biggest club, compare this to any other clubs after they have won the grand final since.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We are the NRL, imagine how big the celebrations will be when we win again.
This was when we waited 9 years, imagine what the next one will look like
@Nasheed this is why we are the biggest club, compare this to any other clubs after they have won the grand final since.
Don’t bother with the cahunt bro, He and his mates never came to TK as dogs supporters they came to kick the club and supporter’s while we where down, Fuck all the haters we are on our way back.