Official Bulldogs vs Sharks Pre-season Challenge - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A whole preseason with a new coaching staff and the one person who needed to address serious technical and communication deficiencies in their game has achieved nothing. Nada. Zip. ничего

Barrett 2.0

Separately, Averillo has spent the second season in a row training in a new position only to show he doesn't have what's needed.
The reason centre is such a difficult position is because of the need to put your body on the line against the opposition's strongest runners.
This is #1 requirement for a centre. If you don't have it. Then you can't play centre.
So who thought Averillo in centre was a good idea? It's actually why he was put at halfback and then fullback....

What a farce. Barrett 2.0
Here's the problem
Unfortunately we don't have a complete centre that can be reliable,
Yes we have hopefuls and we must have patience,
As much as I like us to, we can't buy a whole new team.

Last edited:

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly I now think we'll be lucky to make the 8, yes I know it was only a trial game but let's look at the facts.
1. Half our spine is reserve grade standard, I'm fairly confident both Flanagan and Perham would feature last out of all 17 teams in their respective positions.
2. There will be ongoing highs and lows with Matt Burton at 5/8 as he is still young and learning the position. (Doesn't help when all the attacking pressure is all on his shoulders due to the 7 being incapable)
3. Averillo is the next Mbye, he doesn't fit or dominate any position and the only reason he's in the team seems to be his versatility, he showed some glimpses at fullback last year even though he was afraid of the ball and the opposition (still is), if he wasn't going to start the year at 1 then he should be in reserve grade. 90% of the fan base can see he's out of his depth now its time for the coaching staff to realise this.
4. Edge defence is a big issue, and unless they start working together it won't change.
5. Alamoti - I get that we are trying to hide his defensive issues however none of the backline are great defensively. The kid dominated the lower grades at right centre but we are hell bent on playing him on the left.
6. RFM should be a bench forward, playing less minutes and being able to come on at both edge or middle when needed. Its Time for some youth and energy, I think both Preston and Topine are better options moving forward.
7. The forwards need some aggression and they need to hunt like a pack, as others pointed out the Bulldogs of old would have fu#ked that sharks winger up.

Last edited:

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My takeaways from the trials

Negatives
- Middle Forwards: The really alarming problem was the middle of the field. There is a real lack of go forward, we struggle to build momentum. Our forward pack isn't the biggest especially with TPJ out; King, Sutton and Thompson are all decent workhorses but they don't make a stack of metres, break the line or offer much in terms of offloads. Our outside backs have heart and they make an effort to take runs but they are all pretty small. Compare that to Cronulla who have big forwards like Rudolf, Hamlin-Uele, Finucane and they were missing Hunt. Plus their outside backs help; Talakai, Mulitalo, Katoa.
- Flanagan: I think it's very obvious that Flanagan is not a first grade halfback. He constantly fumbles the last tackle, doesn't have a kicking game, doesn't goalkick anymore, no running game or creatvitiy. I am not trying to pile up on the guy, but i genuinely don't know why he still gets picked. We let go of better players than him, dunno why he's still there.
- Perham: full of errors, doesn't have any type of passing game, pretty small. He has heart and goes for runs but geez its gonna be a long season if he doesn't improve.
- Defence: you wouldn't believe Ciraldo was a defensive minded coach by watching those matches. Our defence on the edges in particular was horrible, Sharks were throwing basic plays and getting us caught from numbers regularly. The fact it was that bad 1 week from the beginning of the seaosn is alarming.

Positives
- Promising Juniors: Alamoti and Preston in particular look good. Still a long way to go but i can see the signs that they will improve and become players worth investing in. Pele showed glipses of his potential and with TPJ out until round 4, we will need explosiveness from the bench.
- Bench Options: Nu Brown looked good coming off the bench, will be interesting to see how he is used. Reynolds was better than i thought and at this stage i'd rather him to Flanagan at 7, i just don't think he can play 80 minutes for 26 rounds. Skelton looks like he can make an impact too, perhaps as a second rower.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Will be really interesting to see what happens with Flannagan. Burton taking the shot at goal and then even Alamotti when Flano was still on the field is telling I think. I think he will be given 5 or 6 rds but is clearly on thin ice. Could be a surprise come rd 1. I would like to see Reynolds till about rd 10 then KO from about rds 10-12 with JR as 14.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Will be really interesting to see what happens with Flannagan. Burton taking the shot at goal and then even Alamotti when Flano was still on the field is telling I think. I think he will be given 5 or 6 rds but is clearly on thin ice. Could be a surprise come rd 1. I would like to see Reynolds till about rd 10 then KO from about rds 10-12 with JR as 14.
Honestly I think Nu Brown looks the most composed out of them all.. I feel like if he started we would have asked more questions

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thank god for trials. Best off getting the rusty shit out the way and seeing who to play where. Sharks will be top 4 again no doubt so I wouldn’t look into to much. Chuck avo back at fullback and Skelton in the centres
The funny thing is sharks were shit when Fitz arrived.. I hate hearing this rebuild crap

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Honestly I think Nu Brown looks the most composed out of them all.. I feel like if he started we would have asked more questions
I have to agree. It's imperative this problem of 7 does not get away from us any longer. Not another year. We can not allow Flanno to keep failing week after week for no return.

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
brah that prick ronaldo is still in my head i wanna bash him the little pipsqueak

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
My takeaways from the trials

Negatives
- Middle Forwards: The really alarming problem was the middle of the field. There is a real lack of go forward, we struggle to build momentum. Our forward pack isn't the biggest especially with TPJ out; King, Sutton and Thompson are all decent workhorses but they don't make a stack of metres, break the line or offer much in terms of offloads. Our outside backs have heart and they make an effort to take runs but they are all pretty small. Compare that to Cronulla who have big forwards like Rudolf, Hamlin-Uele, Finucane and they were missing Hunt. Plus their outside backs help; Talakai, Mulitalo, Katoa.
- Flanagan: I think it's very obvious that Flanagan is not a first grade halfback. He constantly fumbles the last tackle, doesn't have a kicking game, doesn't goalkick anymore, no running game or creatvitiy. I am not trying to pile up on the guy, but i genuinely don't know why he still gets picked. We let go of better players than him, dunno why he's still there.
- Perham: full of errors, doesn't have any type of passing game, pretty small. He has heart and goes for runs but geez its gonna be a long season if he doesn't improve.
- Defence: you wouldn't believe Ciraldo was a defensive minded coach by watching those matches. Our defence on the edges in particular was horrible, Sharks were throwing basic plays and getting us caught from numbers regularly. The fact it was that bad 1 week from the beginning of the seaosn is alarming.

Positives
- Promising Juniors: Alamoti and Preston in particular look good. Still a long way to go but i can see the signs that they will improve and become players worth investing in. Pele showed glipses of his potential and with TPJ out until round 4, we will need explosiveness from the bench.
- Bench Options: Nu Brown looked good coming off the bench, will be interesting to see how he is used. Reynolds was better than i thought and at this stage i'd rather him to Flanagan at 7, i just don't think he can play 80 minutes for 26 rounds. Skelton looks like he can make an impact too, perhaps as a second rower.
i thought our line speed was very good in the first half, noticeably different to last year, lots to work on tho

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
fact he’s a queenslander makes it even fuckin worse. round 8 i hope we fuckin deck the ****
Our guys wanna be pencilling in R8 for sure or else give it away!

Guess he made the most of trampling over a timid kid and felt reeal good about it. In some ways can't blame him...but he did look like a fueled up toxic DH.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skelton at Left centre and Alamoti on the right. Reynolds at 7 and Perham and Averillo to battle for the 1. Averillo a defence next to Flanagan was atrocious.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have to agree. It's imperative this problem of 7 does not get away from us any longer. Not another year. We can not allow Flanno to keep failing week after week for no return.

I was really hoping the best for Flanno because he does give his all, but yeah his decision making has not improved.. I know he's not in the clubs plans long-term, but I expect he will start the year and then be replaced.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sadly I now think we'll be lucky to make the 8, yes I know it was only a trial game but let's look at the facts.
1. Half our spine is reserve grade standard, I'm fairly confident both Flanagan and Perham would feature last out of all 17 teams in their respective positions.
2. There will be ongoing highs and lows with Matt Burton at 5/8 as he is still young and learning the position. (Doesn't help when all the attacking pressure is all on his shoulders due to the 7 being incapable)
3. Averillo is the next Mbye, he doesn't fit or dominate any position and the only reason he's in the team seems to be his versatility, he showed some glimpses at fullback last year even though he was afraid of the ball and the opposition (still is), if he wasn't going to start the year at 1 then he should be in reserve grade. 90% of the fan base can see he's out of his depth now its time for the coaching staff to realise this.
4. Edge defence is a big issue, and unless they start working together it won't change.
5. Alamoti - I get that we are trying to hide his defensive issues however none of the backline are great defensively. The kid dominated the lower grades at right centre but we are hell bent on playing him on the left.
6. RFM should be a bench forward, playing less minutes and being able to come on at both edge or middle when needed. Its Time for some youth and energy, I think both Preston and Topine are better options moving forward.
7. The forwards need some aggression and they need to hunt like a pack, as others pointed out the Bulldogs of old would have fu#ked that sharks winger up.
So, you aren't an Alien after all :tearsofjoy:

Sir dogeth style

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I give up. I do not understand how you can't comprehend this. We've leaked points for years down our edge regardless who has played there and it has far more to do with what's happening on the inside rather than our edge defenders on an individual level.
Just to confirm you'd rather have Burton than Hynes? I must be watching a different game.
well the way i see it, burto was signed as a 5'8 and was played at center the following year, that year he was coached by barret and restricted deeply, hynes was at melbourne and went to sharks who had a successful 1st year coach.. already stated we shouldve gotten both whilst on cheap coin but burto will shine when a proper half back is paired with him and vise versa

Sir dogeth style

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Rep jersey as a centre.....PM 11 isn't a true rep game. Hynes didn't just win HB of the year he won the whole thing....Dally M player of the Year.
I'm just waiting till you tell me being player of the year is nothing because Ewan McGrady won the Rothmans Medal in 1991 yet he didn't play rep footy either.....(apart from representing Northern NSW v Touring Poms). We won't be getting much out of Burto, he's already wrapped up his contract extension, so what happens now isn't that relevant anymore [emoji3]
0 so your answer is 0... thats all you needed to say lol

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
well the way i see it, burto was signed as a 5'8 and was played at center the following year, that year he was coached by barret and restricted deeply, hynes was at melbourne and went to sharks who had a successful 1st year coach.. already stated we shouldve gotten both whilst on cheap coin but burto will shine when a proper half back is paired with him and vise versa
Burton is taller than 5'8, isn't he?